2 children in same grade with CF

amber682

Next year there will be another little boy in my son's grade with CF. There is a morning class and an afternoon class, so one of our children will go in the AM, and one in the PM. I've talked with the other child's mom, we both agree there needs to be some sort of a wipe down in between the two classes, whether we take turns doing it ourselves or have the teachers/aides do it.

What would you do in this situation? We go to a great school, they are more than willing to learn about CF and help us keep our kids healthy. We also plan on getting some more advice from our CF center. Anybody have any suggestions?

amber682

Next year there will be another little boy in my son's grade with CF. There is a morning class and an afternoon class, so one of our children will go in the AM, and one in the PM. I've talked with the other child's mom, we both agree there needs to be some sort of a wipe down in between the two classes, whether we take turns doing it ourselves or have the teachers/aides do it.

What would you do in this situation? We go to a great school, they are more than willing to learn about CF and help us keep our kids healthy. We also plan on getting some more advice from our CF center. Anybody have any suggestions?

amber682

amber682

amber682

<br />
<br />What would you do in this situation? We go to a great school, they are more than willing to learn about CF and help us keep our kids healthy. We also plan on getting some more advice from our CF center. Anybody have any suggestions?
<br />

M

Mommafirst

We'll be in the same situation when Alyssa goes to Kindergarten. The only difference is that the other family has twins with CF, so it may complicate things more if that mom wants her twins in seperate classrooms. I've spoken with her, but she isn't too phased over it. I'm thinking I might open enroll my daughter to one of the other elementary schools in the district. Alternatively, the wiping down between the am/pm class has been a consideration. I'm pretty concerned about it because the kindergarten class has tons of "stuff" in it. Where do you draw the line? Just wipe down the tables, chairs, door knobs? What about the toys? The lockers? How about all the books and puzzles? Our kindergarten has shared supplies, so you'd have to include the glue sticks, the pencils, the scissors. It just seems overwhelming to expect anyone (even yourself and the other mom) to wipe these things every mid-day and every afternoon when the pm session is over.

I mentioned this situation to our pulm and the look of horror on his face made me realize I wasn't making too big of a deal out of it. The social worker promised me that when the time comes we can all work this out in a way that is safe for everyone, until the kids are old enough to keep things (including their hands) out of their mouths and to exhibit care with their own hand washing and germ control behavior.

I'm not one to go overboard with germ control, but for me, sharing the same classroom, even if they are in it at different times of the day, just doesnt' work.

M

Mommafirst

We'll be in the same situation when Alyssa goes to Kindergarten. The only difference is that the other family has twins with CF, so it may complicate things more if that mom wants her twins in seperate classrooms. I've spoken with her, but she isn't too phased over it. I'm thinking I might open enroll my daughter to one of the other elementary schools in the district. Alternatively, the wiping down between the am/pm class has been a consideration. I'm pretty concerned about it because the kindergarten class has tons of "stuff" in it. Where do you draw the line? Just wipe down the tables, chairs, door knobs? What about the toys? The lockers? How about all the books and puzzles? Our kindergarten has shared supplies, so you'd have to include the glue sticks, the pencils, the scissors. It just seems overwhelming to expect anyone (even yourself and the other mom) to wipe these things every mid-day and every afternoon when the pm session is over.

I mentioned this situation to our pulm and the look of horror on his face made me realize I wasn't making too big of a deal out of it. The social worker promised me that when the time comes we can all work this out in a way that is safe for everyone, until the kids are old enough to keep things (including their hands) out of their mouths and to exhibit care with their own hand washing and germ control behavior.

I'm not one to go overboard with germ control, but for me, sharing the same classroom, even if they are in it at different times of the day, just doesnt' work.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />I mentioned this situation to our pulm and the look of horror on his face made me realize I wasn't making too big of a deal out of it. The social worker promised me that when the time comes we can all work this out in a way that is safe for everyone, until the kids are old enough to keep things (including their hands) out of their mouths and to exhibit care with their own hand washing and germ control behavior.
<br />
<br />I'm not one to go overboard with germ control, but for me, sharing the same classroom, even if they are in it at different times of the day, just doesnt' work.

B

brewz2

Hey everyone,
I just wanted to go ahead and add our info to this b/c Amber and I are sort of stumped at where to go. My son will be the one attending school next year with Amber's son. I thought it would be best to add in that my son cultures only staph so far, but his big sister cultures PA, and has been for a couple years. This sort of adds a bigger risk to Amber's son Vinny. Although Seth isn't culturing it yet, it's sort of like a ticking time bomb every time we go to clinic. I realize that most CF'ers culture PA eventually, but I would feel terrible if it was my child that gave passed it - especially with Amber having a newborn in the house soon that has CF.

Along the lines of wiping down - i'm all for that and would willingly volunteer, but I think Alyssa is right, anybody that's been in a pre-k/kindergarten classroom can be overwhelmed by the amount of toys, crayons, paints, books, puzzles, etc..............

B

brewz2

Hey everyone,
I just wanted to go ahead and add our info to this b/c Amber and I are sort of stumped at where to go. My son will be the one attending school next year with Amber's son. I thought it would be best to add in that my son cultures only staph so far, but his big sister cultures PA, and has been for a couple years. This sort of adds a bigger risk to Amber's son Vinny. Although Seth isn't culturing it yet, it's sort of like a ticking time bomb every time we go to clinic. I realize that most CF'ers culture PA eventually, but I would feel terrible if it was my child that gave passed it - especially with Amber having a newborn in the house soon that has CF.

Along the lines of wiping down - i'm all for that and would willingly volunteer, but I think Alyssa is right, anybody that's been in a pre-k/kindergarten classroom can be overwhelmed by the amount of toys, crayons, paints, books, puzzles, etc..............

B

brewz2

Hey everyone,

B

brewz2

Hey everyone,

B

brewz2

Hey everyone,
<br />I just wanted to go ahead and add our info to this b/c Amber and I are sort of stumped at where to go. My son will be the one attending school next year with Amber's son. I thought it would be best to add in that my son cultures only staph so far, but his big sister cultures PA, and has been for a couple years. This sort of adds a bigger risk to Amber's son Vinny. Although Seth isn't culturing it yet, it's sort of like a ticking time bomb every time we go to clinic. I realize that most CF'ers culture PA eventually, but I would feel terrible if it was my child that gave passed it - especially with Amber having a newborn in the house soon that has CF.
<br />
<br />Along the lines of wiping down - i'm all for that and would willingly volunteer, but I think Alyssa is right, anybody that's been in a pre-k/kindergarten classroom can be overwhelmed by the amount of toys, crayons, paints, books, puzzles, etc..............
<br />
<br />

grassisgreener

Is there only one teacher/class at the school?

I personally would NOT want my daughter in the same classroom (even at different times) because there is just no way to get everything clean. My daughter is in K right now and while she has her own supply box of crayons, markers, scissors etc rather than the shared boxes that everyone else uses, they still share the same book boxes, games, puzzles, activity tables, etc. It just seems like too much of a risk. I am not extremely paranoid about regular germs but they do make me a little nervous, CF stuff makes me VERY nervous, especially when they are so young and germy!

If there is only one teacher/classroom at the school then it is easy to see that it isn't going to be easy to come up with a solution. I am really glad you two are open to working on this together. I hope you can come up with something that works well for everyone.

grassisgreener

I personally would NOT want my daughter in the same classroom (even at different times) because there is just no way to get everything clean. My daughter is in K right now and while she has her own supply box of crayons, markers, scissors etc rather than the shared boxes that everyone else uses, they still share the same book boxes, games, puzzles, activity tables, etc. It just seems like too much of a risk. I am not extremely paranoid about regular germs but they do make me a little nervous, CF stuff makes me VERY nervous, especially when they are so young and germy!

If there is only one teacher/classroom at the school then it is easy to see that it isn't going to be easy to come up with a solution. I am really glad you two are open to working on this together. I hope you can come up with something that works well for everyone.

grassisgreener

grassisgreener

grassisgreener

<br />
<br />I personally would NOT want my daughter in the same classroom (even at different times) because there is just no way to get everything clean. My daughter is in K right now and while she has her own supply box of crayons, markers, scissors etc rather than the shared boxes that everyone else uses, they still share the same book boxes, games, puzzles, activity tables, etc. It just seems like too much of a risk. I am not extremely paranoid about regular germs but they do make me a little nervous, CF stuff makes me VERY nervous, especially when they are so young and germy!
<br />
<br />If there is only one teacher/classroom at the school then it is easy to see that it isn't going to be easy to come up with a solution. I am really glad you two are open to working on this together. I hope you can come up with something that works well for everyone.