2nd appt. continued

mom2owen

We got our results back today and Owen did in fact culture Staph. I know, shocking. I only joke because several of you predicted this after my first appt. post and the low fever post in the families section.
At Rebjane's suggestion, I will request the results report. What I do know is that the sensitivity results showed that the staph is penicillin resistant so he is on Bactrim. Our doctor said that these results along with the CT scan results and volume of green mucus means we need to be more aggressive with treatment (amen to that) and that it is not asthma we are dealing with (word). She didn't say CF IS what we are dealing with though.
Some questions I have are: Are there different strains of Staph? Is it common for everyone to get Staph in their lungs or just patients with CF? How long might it take for the Bactrim to clear up the coughing/infection? Is there anything else we need to watch for or worry about with this infection?
We are adding nebs back in and doing CPT three times a day instead of two. He also has to drink lots of water. Other than that, I don't know how to react to this. Fill me in!

mom2owen

We got our results back today and Owen did in fact culture Staph. I know, shocking. I only joke because several of you predicted this after my first appt. post and the low fever post in the families section.
At Rebjane's suggestion, I will request the results report. What I do know is that the sensitivity results showed that the staph is penicillin resistant so he is on Bactrim. Our doctor said that these results along with the CT scan results and volume of green mucus means we need to be more aggressive with treatment (amen to that) and that it is not asthma we are dealing with (word). She didn't say CF IS what we are dealing with though.
Some questions I have are: Are there different strains of Staph? Is it common for everyone to get Staph in their lungs or just patients with CF? How long might it take for the Bactrim to clear up the coughing/infection? Is there anything else we need to watch for or worry about with this infection?
We are adding nebs back in and doing CPT three times a day instead of two. He also has to drink lots of water. Other than that, I don't know how to react to this. Fill me in!

mom2owen

<br />At Rebjane's suggestion, I will request the results report. What I do know is that the sensitivity results showed that the staph is penicillin resistant so he is on Bactrim. Our doctor said that these results along with the CT scan results and volume of green mucus means we need to be more aggressive with treatment (amen to that) and that it is not asthma we are dealing with (word). She didn't say CF IS what we are dealing with though.
<br />Some questions I have are: Are there different strains of Staph? Is it common for everyone to get Staph in their lungs or just patients with CF? How long might it take for the Bactrim to clear up the coughing/infection? Is there anything else we need to watch for or worry about with this infection?
<br />We are adding nebs back in and doing CPT three times a day instead of two. He also has to drink lots of water. Other than that, I don't know how to react to this. Fill me in!

mom2owen

Oh, and what exactly is an exacerbation? I know, I am slow. I assume it is an increase in symptoms. And, I think he has been in that mode for about six weeks now....
Can't you have Staph without symptoms? That is why I worry about what this all actually means.

mom2owen

Oh, and what exactly is an exacerbation? I know, I am slow. I assume it is an increase in symptoms. And, I think he has been in that mode for about six weeks now....
Can't you have Staph without symptoms? That is why I worry about what this all actually means.

mom2owen

<br />Can't you have Staph without symptoms? That is why I worry about what this all actually means.

M

Mommafirst

Staph is a pretty common bug for CF patients to culture. But it isn't uncommon for other people with lung issues...so if Owen were to have a different lung disease, the staph would be explainable. It is pretty unlikely that he has normal, fine lungs considering all the symptoms and now that he cultures staph. Culturing staph is a diagnosis in and of itself (at least it is on Alyssa's med records) and it does have clinical meaning for CF or other lung diseases.

An exacerbation is just like you said an increase in symptoms. For most CF patients who culture staph, it can lie in wait without giving symptoms and most docs don't treat it at that point -- mainly because once chronically cultured, it tends to come back anyway. But when the numbers kick up and symptoms/mucus/coughing, etc. kick up...they treat the exacerbation.

I'm glad to hear they are trying bactrim -- works well for Alyssa most of the time. And I'm glad they are moving away from blaming this all on asthma.

M

Mommafirst

Staph is a pretty common bug for CF patients to culture. But it isn't uncommon for other people with lung issues...so if Owen were to have a different lung disease, the staph would be explainable. It is pretty unlikely that he has normal, fine lungs considering all the symptoms and now that he cultures staph. Culturing staph is a diagnosis in and of itself (at least it is on Alyssa's med records) and it does have clinical meaning for CF or other lung diseases.

An exacerbation is just like you said an increase in symptoms. For most CF patients who culture staph, it can lie in wait without giving symptoms and most docs don't treat it at that point -- mainly because once chronically cultured, it tends to come back anyway. But when the numbers kick up and symptoms/mucus/coughing, etc. kick up...they treat the exacerbation.

I'm glad to hear they are trying bactrim -- works well for Alyssa most of the time. And I'm glad they are moving away from blaming this all on asthma.

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />An exacerbation is just like you said an increase in symptoms. For most CF patients who culture staph, it can lie in wait without giving symptoms and most docs don't treat it at that point -- mainly because once chronically cultured, it tends to come back anyway. But when the numbers kick up and symptoms/mucus/coughing, etc. kick up...they treat the exacerbation.
<br />
<br />I'm glad to hear they are trying bactrim -- works well for Alyssa most of the time. And I'm glad they are moving away from blaming this all on asthma.

ymikhale

Yes, there are different strains of staph and the fact that your son's is sensitive to Bactrim is a good thing. It is a very common drug for staph infection. AS for the time to clear up infection, i think it varies by patient, in out case it takes about a week, we usually get prescribed a 10 day course.

ymikhale

Yes, there are different strains of staph and the fact that your son's is sensitive to Bactrim is a good thing. It is a very common drug for staph infection. AS for the time to clear up infection, i think it varies by patient, in out case it takes about a week, we usually get prescribed a 10 day course.

ymikhale

mom2owen

I am very happy to report that Owen is already improving on the Bactrim. He is coughing less and is returning to his level of energy. Woohoo! He is getting 3 tablespoon twice a day for two weeks but I am just so relieved to already see some change.
Heather, I have been looking at Staph info quite a bit and it always says people with ling disease are prone to these infections. It is hard to find what they call "lung disease" though. It often says CF, cancer and tuberculosis. Interesting information nonetheless. SInce his CT was showing damage, it makes sense, now we just need to find out why he has that damage in the first place. But more importantly, keep him healthy to reduce future issues. Sounds so simple!
Our doctor did mention that he likely cultures Staph even without symptoms and we will only treat when he has symptoms. I am learning how long to wait if there is a next time with this. After talking with my sister, there is a concern about her son having impetigo frequently due to severe eczema. That bubble around Owen seems to be growing, I now clearly understand everyone's attempts to reduce risk.
But for now, we are thrilled to see improvement in the cough!

mom2owen

I am very happy to report that Owen is already improving on the Bactrim. He is coughing less and is returning to his level of energy. Woohoo! He is getting 3 tablespoon twice a day for two weeks but I am just so relieved to already see some change.
Heather, I have been looking at Staph info quite a bit and it always says people with ling disease are prone to these infections. It is hard to find what they call "lung disease" though. It often says CF, cancer and tuberculosis. Interesting information nonetheless. SInce his CT was showing damage, it makes sense, now we just need to find out why he has that damage in the first place. But more importantly, keep him healthy to reduce future issues. Sounds so simple!
Our doctor did mention that he likely cultures Staph even without symptoms and we will only treat when he has symptoms. I am learning how long to wait if there is a next time with this. After talking with my sister, there is a concern about her son having impetigo frequently due to severe eczema. That bubble around Owen seems to be growing, I now clearly understand everyone's attempts to reduce risk.
But for now, we are thrilled to see improvement in the cough!

mom2owen

<br />Heather, I have been looking at Staph info quite a bit and it always says people with ling disease are prone to these infections. It is hard to find what they call "lung disease" though. It often says CF, cancer and tuberculosis. Interesting information nonetheless. SInce his CT was showing damage, it makes sense, now we just need to find out why he has that damage in the first place. But more importantly, keep him healthy to reduce future issues. Sounds so simple!
<br />Our doctor did mention that he likely cultures Staph even without symptoms and we will only treat when he has symptoms. I am learning how long to wait if there is a next time with this. After talking with my sister, there is a concern about her son having impetigo frequently due to severe eczema. That bubble around Owen seems to be growing, I now clearly understand everyone's attempts to reduce risk.
<br />But for now, we are thrilled to see improvement in the cough!