2nd clinic appt.

mom2owen

We went to the other CF clinic here today since they have a better track record of follow-up between appts. We were told that Owen has severe asthma of a rare type that causes a build up of mucus vs. wheezing and reactions to cold/exercise/allergies. They said he needs CPT to get the junk up since he is really phlegmy. They are taking him off alubuterol nebs since they made his cough worse but we were finally trained in CPT. He could easily cough up sputum for a culture which is good.
Their reason for thinking he does not have CF is that they think it is this "rare severe asthma" and because the dose of Creon which is helping him is lower than the needed dose of the average CF patient, so it cannot be CF.
Holy cats and kittens.
In my bones I know this is all a bunch of hooey. The mucus, imho, has settled in his lungs and the albuterol is helping to get it out. CPT only helps that more. I also question A) that PI cannot be a spectrum symptom where people require different amounts of it to thrive (and in his case, make him not vomit and have horrid stools) and B) if the treatment for asthma (albuterol nebs) makes him "worse" how can it be asthma??
Anyway, they classified his finger clubbing as moderate and his toes as severe so they know he has lung disease, they just don't think he fits the CF profile. In the meantime, we are going to stick with them because their availability to assist is much better than the other clinic and we hope that over time, all of this will become more clear. We will do CPT and inhalers and go in for rechecks until he either gets better or they figure it out. I know so many haev been told it is asthma and food allergies or what have you before the CF diagnosis is made. Maybe Owen doesn't have CF. I don't know. But until his lung scans are clear, his mucus is drained and his cough goes away (and preferably he no longer needs Creon, ya right) I will be on the phone or in their office until they figure it out.
So, now we learn to live with if it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, it's not a duck. Ugh.

mom2owen

We went to the other CF clinic here today since they have a better track record of follow-up between appts. We were told that Owen has severe asthma of a rare type that causes a build up of mucus vs. wheezing and reactions to cold/exercise/allergies. They said he needs CPT to get the junk up since he is really phlegmy. They are taking him off alubuterol nebs since they made his cough worse but we were finally trained in CPT. He could easily cough up sputum for a culture which is good.
Their reason for thinking he does not have CF is that they think it is this "rare severe asthma" and because the dose of Creon which is helping him is lower than the needed dose of the average CF patient, so it cannot be CF.
Holy cats and kittens.
In my bones I know this is all a bunch of hooey. The mucus, imho, has settled in his lungs and the albuterol is helping to get it out. CPT only helps that more. I also question A) that PI cannot be a spectrum symptom where people require different amounts of it to thrive (and in his case, make him not vomit and have horrid stools) and B) if the treatment for asthma (albuterol nebs) makes him "worse" how can it be asthma??
Anyway, they classified his finger clubbing as moderate and his toes as severe so they know he has lung disease, they just don't think he fits the CF profile. In the meantime, we are going to stick with them because their availability to assist is much better than the other clinic and we hope that over time, all of this will become more clear. We will do CPT and inhalers and go in for rechecks until he either gets better or they figure it out. I know so many haev been told it is asthma and food allergies or what have you before the CF diagnosis is made. Maybe Owen doesn't have CF. I don't know. But until his lung scans are clear, his mucus is drained and his cough goes away (and preferably he no longer needs Creon, ya right) I will be on the phone or in their office until they figure it out.
So, now we learn to live with if it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, it's not a duck. Ugh.

mom2owen

<br />Their reason for thinking he does not have CF is that they think it is this "rare severe asthma" and because the dose of Creon which is helping him is lower than the needed dose of the average CF patient, so it cannot be CF.
<br />Holy cats and kittens.
<br />In my bones I know this is all a bunch of hooey. The mucus, imho, has settled in his lungs and the albuterol is helping to get it out. CPT only helps that more. I also question A) that PI cannot be a spectrum symptom where people require different amounts of it to thrive (and in his case, make him not vomit and have horrid stools) and B) if the treatment for asthma (albuterol nebs) makes him "worse" how can it be asthma??
<br />Anyway, they classified his finger clubbing as moderate and his toes as severe so they know he has lung disease, they just don't think he fits the CF profile. In the meantime, we are going to stick with them because their availability to assist is much better than the other clinic and we hope that over time, all of this will become more clear. We will do CPT and inhalers and go in for rechecks until he either gets better or they figure it out. I know so many haev been told it is asthma and food allergies or what have you before the CF diagnosis is made. Maybe Owen doesn't have CF. I don't know. But until his lung scans are clear, his mucus is drained and his cough goes away (and preferably he no longer needs Creon, ya right) I will be on the phone or in their office until they figure it out.
<br />So, now we learn to live with if it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, it's not a duck. Ugh.

mom2owen

Oh, and the last piece I had to share is that pulmonology fellow also said it cannot be CF because his sweat tests were in the 30's and if the channels are working properly, you can't have it. She also said the PI is not a CF thing because his sweat test was too low.

mom2owen

Oh, and the last piece I had to share is that pulmonology fellow also said it cannot be CF because his sweat tests were in the 30's and if the channels are working properly, you can't have it. She also said the PI is not a CF thing because his sweat test was too low.

mom2owen

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
That is just so weird! There are a number of people on this site who are pancreatic sufficient and don't require enzymes. There are a number of people, my son included who've had normal sweat tests. clubbing!? Wow!

I wonder what the sputum culture will bring. If he cultures a common CF bug will they have a similar explanation.

At least you know how to do CPT and are getting treatment.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
That is just so weird! There are a number of people on this site who are pancreatic sufficient and don't require enzymes. There are a number of people, my son included who've had normal sweat tests. clubbing!? Wow!

I wonder what the sputum culture will bring. If he cultures a common CF bug will they have a similar explanation.

At least you know how to do CPT and are getting treatment.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I wonder what the sputum culture will bring. If he cultures a common CF bug will they have a similar explanation.
<br />
<br />At least you know how to do CPT and are getting treatment.

M

Mommafirst

Holy crap! Why oh why are they giving you such grief over this. pulmonary problems (with excess mucus) + GI problems (solved with enzmes) + finger clubbing = CF

And yes, pancreatic insufficiency is ABSOLUTELY a spectrum thing. A "normal" person has numbers over 500. Pancreatic insufficiency is diagnosed when those numbers go below 200. My daughter is at 250 and needs enzymes but doesn't struggle like some kids do. I have a friend whose daughter has numbers under 30 and she must take way more enzymes than Alyssa needs.

I am so frustrated for you. What would motivate a knowledgeable doctor to deny this is CF?????

M

Mommafirst

Holy crap! Why oh why are they giving you such grief over this. pulmonary problems (with excess mucus) + GI problems (solved with enzmes) + finger clubbing = CF

And yes, pancreatic insufficiency is ABSOLUTELY a spectrum thing. A "normal" person has numbers over 500. Pancreatic insufficiency is diagnosed when those numbers go below 200. My daughter is at 250 and needs enzymes but doesn't struggle like some kids do. I have a friend whose daughter has numbers under 30 and she must take way more enzymes than Alyssa needs.

I am so frustrated for you. What would motivate a knowledgeable doctor to deny this is CF?????

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />And yes, pancreatic insufficiency is ABSOLUTELY a spectrum thing. A "normal" person has numbers over 500. Pancreatic insufficiency is diagnosed when those numbers go below 200. My daughter is at 250 and needs enzymes but doesn't struggle like some kids do. I have a friend whose daughter has numbers under 30 and she must take way more enzymes than Alyssa needs.
<br />
<br />I am so frustrated for you. What would motivate a knowledgeable doctor to deny this is CF?????

mom2owen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Holy crap! Why oh why are they giving you such grief over this</end quote></div>
We are cursed I tell you! Either way, we are cursed with symptoms but no known cause. Apparently we aren't cool enough for this diagnosis, lol!
I am trying to laugh instead of crying again.
Anyway, thanks for the comments, I really need them right now. Much to my dismay, I am leaving town and I cannot log-in to this forum on my phone anymore, which is driving me nuts. But, while I cannot post, I can read, so I will keep checking for any other ideas.
Thanks tons.

mom2owen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Holy crap! Why oh why are they giving you such grief over this</end quote>
We are cursed I tell you! Either way, we are cursed with symptoms but no known cause. Apparently we aren't cool enough for this diagnosis, lol!
I am trying to laugh instead of crying again.
Anyway, thanks for the comments, I really need them right now. Much to my dismay, I am leaving town and I cannot log-in to this forum on my phone anymore, which is driving me nuts. But, while I cannot post, I can read, so I will keep checking for any other ideas.
Thanks tons.

mom2owen

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Holy crap! Why oh why are they giving you such grief over this</end quote>
<br />We are cursed I tell you! Either way, we are cursed with symptoms but no known cause. Apparently we aren't cool enough for this diagnosis, lol!
<br />I am trying to laugh instead of crying again.
<br />Anyway, thanks for the comments, I really need them right now. Much to my dismay, I am leaving town and I cannot log-in to this forum on my phone anymore, which is driving me nuts. But, while I cannot post, I can read, so I will keep checking for any other ideas.
<br />Thanks tons.

ymikhale

It must be soo frustrating for you! I agree with other posters, pancreatic insufficiency helped by enzymes, finger clubbing - resembles too much to CF. How do they reconcile these symptoms with asthma?

If you had a genetic test done, I hope it gives you a clear answer so you can focus on treating your son with diagnosis in hand.

keep us posted and don't give up. if you keep pushing you will find a doctor who will take you seriously.

ymikhale

It must be soo frustrating for you! I agree with other posters, pancreatic insufficiency helped by enzymes, finger clubbing - resembles too much to CF. How do they reconcile these symptoms with asthma?

If you had a genetic test done, I hope it gives you a clear answer so you can focus on treating your son with diagnosis in hand.

keep us posted and don't give up. if you keep pushing you will find a doctor who will take you seriously.