4 Minute Mile....anyone?

CysticlyFIT

My New Years resolution is to do a 4 minute mile.....really!<br><br>I can do probably 6 minute mile right now on a treadmill, and that's really really working myself ...but I can do it !<br><br>I am working very slowly for this esp for speed and not letting myself overheat, but any tips from fellow CF runners to accomplish this??!!<br><br>Thanks !<br>

CysticlyFIT

My New Years resolution is to do a 4 minute mile.....really!<br><br>I can do probably 6 minute mile right now on a treadmill, and that's really really working myself ...but I can do it !<br><br>I am working very slowly for this esp for speed and not letting myself overheat, but any tips from fellow CF runners to accomplish this??!!<br><br>Thanks !<br>

tesorotiffa

I wish I had some tips! I've been trying to get under a 15 minute mile for forever now, but my darn legs won't cooperate! Good luck!

tesorotiffa

I wish I had some tips! I've been trying to get under a 15 minute mile for forever now, but my darn legs won't cooperate! Good luck!

static

My fastest mile was back in 9th grade at 6:49, but the fastest in our school was around the 4:00 mark. I used to do alot of running with soccer and it was alot of fun too, now it just feels like work :-(

My advice is to keep at it and never stop. It is so much harder to return to once you do. Once you get it on the treadmill try to do it outside, when training for swimming I noticed I could run a little faster on a treadmill than outside on the high school course, which I thought was odd.

static

My fastest mile was back in 9th grade at 6:49, but the fastest in our school was around the 4:00 mark. I used to do alot of running with soccer and it was alot of fun too, now it just feels like work :-(

My advice is to keep at it and never stop. It is so much harder to return to once you do. Once you get it on the treadmill try to do it outside, when training for swimming I noticed I could run a little faster on a treadmill than outside on the high school course, which I thought was odd.

CrisDopher

Uh, you do realize a 4 minute mile is something even professionals and internationally-ranked college track athletes accomplish on a rare basis, and pretty much only if they're trained milers, right? If you're straining for a 6 minute mile right now, I think 4 is well out of range. I don't mean to be discouraging, just realistic.

CrisDopher

Uh, you do realize a 4 minute mile is something even professionals and internationally-ranked college track athletes accomplish on a rare basis, and pretty much only if they're trained milers, right? If you're straining for a 6 minute mile right now, I think 4 is well out of range. I don't mean to be discouraging, just realistic.

annasdad

A four minute mile is an olympic level feat for men, and would be about 13 seconds faster than the current women's world record. For a female, with or without CF, a 5 minute mile is actually a very impressive feat, and a 4:30 would be considered approaching world class.

How fast do you run a quarter? If you can do the quarter in the low 50s, then a 5 minute mile is a matter of conditioning and effort. I could never run a quarter mile faster than about 55 seconds, and my best mile back in the day was 4:45.

Pete (thinks a 5 minute mile is an extremely respectable target)

annasdad

A four minute mile is an olympic level feat for men, and would be about 13 seconds faster than the current women's world record. For a female, with or without CF, a 5 minute mile is actually a very impressive feat, and a 4:30 would be considered approaching world class.

How fast do you run a quarter? If you can do the quarter in the low 50s, then a 5 minute mile is a matter of conditioning and effort. I could never run a quarter mile faster than about 55 seconds, and my best mile back in the day was 4:45.

Pete (thinks a 5 minute mile is an extremely respectable target)

Gentrygirl

New goal, then, with all of our support! 5:00 is my vote if you are that in condition and that determined. Go, girl! Check in with us when you hit that and we'll support you to the next one!

Gentrygirl

New goal, then, with all of our support! 5:00 is my vote if you are that in condition and that determined. Go, girl! Check in with us when you hit that and we'll support you to the next one!

Hardak

just keep trying to push your self lower and lower, not over heating is going to be a big thing cause your lungs will seaze from over heating. beyond that best of luck, Best I could do befor I really started losing alot of ground was 7:45ish (some nearly 20 years ago)

Hardak

just keep trying to push your self lower and lower, not over heating is going to be a big thing cause your lungs will seaze from over heating. beyond that best of luck, Best I could do befor I really started losing alot of ground was 7:45ish (some nearly 20 years ago)

JNsmom

Not to be pessimistic, but I also think that decreasing your mile time by 2 minutes is a huge feat. How about taking steps. Perhaps this year or in the first 6 months you can shave 30 seconds off and then next year or the next 6 months you can take off another 30 seconds. You may find that you are more successful that way. You may want to ask a coach for some help. Are you including a long run, a hill workout as well as a tempo and speed workout into your weekly running?

I have been a runner for over 25 years. In high school my mile PR was 5:37. I am in my 40's and right now I am in the low 6's, not too bad. However, endurance running is where I have excelled. As I matured, I learned how to treat my body better, which included fueling more efficiently as well as cross training and different types of running workouts.

I love setting goals. But, I am careful not to set too large of a goal without having the proper steps planned out (mini goals). Good luck and I hope you are successful!!!

Jen 41/ w CF (Delta F508 and R117H)

JNsmom

Not to be pessimistic, but I also think that decreasing your mile time by 2 minutes is a huge feat. How about taking steps. Perhaps this year or in the first 6 months you can shave 30 seconds off and then next year or the next 6 months you can take off another 30 seconds. You may find that you are more successful that way. You may want to ask a coach for some help. Are you including a long run, a hill workout as well as a tempo and speed workout into your weekly running?

I have been a runner for over 25 years. In high school my mile PR was 5:37. I am in my 40's and right now I am in the low 6's, not too bad. However, endurance running is where I have excelled. As I matured, I learned how to treat my body better, which included fueling more efficiently as well as cross training and different types of running workouts.

I love setting goals. But, I am careful not to set too large of a goal without having the proper steps planned out (mini goals). Good luck and I hope you are successful!!!

Jen 41/ w CF (Delta F508 and R117H)

cdale613

I ran competitively in high school and college, and my personal record was a 4:34 mile. It was one of the hardest things I ever did, and took years of training. I would set goals that aimed to chip 10 seconds off per year. You need to set reasonable goals that are difficult, but that you have a chance at attaining. Set short, medium and long term goals that keep you motivated.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but setting out where you are now to run sub 4 is just not reasonable. Aim to run sub 6, then sub 5 minutes, then things start getting serious.

Chris
31 w/cf

cdale613

I ran competitively in high school and college, and my personal record was a 4:34 mile. It was one of the hardest things I ever did, and took years of training. I would set goals that aimed to chip 10 seconds off per year. You need to set reasonable goals that are difficult, but that you have a chance at attaining. Set short, medium and long term goals that keep you motivated.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but setting out where you are now to run sub 4 is just not reasonable. Aim to run sub 6, then sub 5 minutes, then things start getting serious.

Chris
31 w/cf