504 ideas

anonymous

a 504 is a plan set up with the schools that grants you or your child extra privilages. For example, my daughters 504 states that she is not to be held to any attendence requirements, she is to be given extra time to make up work and test as she feels necessary not the teachers. It allows her to leave class without permission (this is often needed when she needs to cough).. The 504 plan is very useful, just remember that you are your childs only advocate. Always speak loud enough to ensure that the plan is followed.
Good Luck
Jayne

S

skh

My daughter is in 9th grade this year. The 504 plan sounds good but my daughter is so private about her CF that I don't think she would be happy with me if I tried to set one up for her. She does not want anything special and so far she has not needed it. So far we have not had any problems with the schools that she has attended. Is this something I should be doing or wait and see how things go for her?

Sue

S

skh

My daughter is in 9th grade this year. The 504 plan sounds good but my daughter is so private about her CF that I don't think she would be happy with me if I tried to set one up for her. She does not want anything special and so far she has not needed it. So far we have not had any problems with the schools that she has attended. Is this something I should be doing or wait and see how things go for her?

Sue

JazzysMom

The 504 plan can be used to get her immediate help if it was needed or be there to protect her in the future. No one except "Administration" of the school needs to know. If she happened to get very sick & miss a lot of school, this would kick in to help her so she doesnt fall to far behind or possible repeat the grade. Although it does offer more "obvious" services if its required. I would still sign her up if nothing else for the "what ifs"!

JazzysMom

The 504 plan can be used to get her immediate help if it was needed or be there to protect her in the future. No one except "Administration" of the school needs to know. If she happened to get very sick & miss a lot of school, this would kick in to help her so she doesnt fall to far behind or possible repeat the grade. Although it does offer more "obvious" services if its required. I would still sign her up if nothing else for the "what ifs"!

S

skh

Thanks, Melissa. I believe I will do this just as a precaution. Now another question, would I go directly to the school she attends or would I go the city school administration building?

Sue

S

skh

Thanks, Melissa. I believe I will do this just as a precaution. Now another question, would I go directly to the school she attends or would I go the city school administration building?

Sue

anonymous

You should be able to go straight to the school-the school social worker, counselor, and SpEd departments should all be able to get the ball rolling. Start with the school nurse if thats easiest--she should be able to point you in the right direction.

anonymous

You should be able to go straight to the school-the school social worker, counselor, and SpEd departments should all be able to get the ball rolling. Start with the school nurse if thats easiest--she should be able to point you in the right direction.

anonymous

My fear with DS going to school is the enzyme issue. I've heard from other people that they have to go to the school office -- leave class a little early, or are late getting to lunch, to take their enzymes. The "drugs" according to school policy have to be locked up in the office -- there's a school nurse by she only is there a couple times a week. Anyway, I can already predict situations with him not wanting to be late, not wanting to draw attention to himself or crabby office ladies and avoiding taking enzymes at all.

anonymous

My fear with DS going to school is the enzyme issue. I've heard from other people that they have to go to the school office -- leave class a little early, or are late getting to lunch, to take their enzymes. The "drugs" according to school policy have to be locked up in the office -- there's a school nurse by she only is there a couple times a week. Anyway, I can already predict situations with him not wanting to be late, not wanting to draw attention to himself or crabby office ladies and avoiding taking enzymes at all.