6th months Pregnant & Concern

kclynn87

Actually, I read somewhere (it may have been on www.mycysticfibrosis.com) that it is best for babies with CF to <b>not be breast fed</b>, as they can't properly receive and process the added nutrients and benefits that formula can give. You can look for this info on the web.

kclynn87

Actually, I read somewhere (it may have been on www.mycysticfibrosis.com) that it is best for babies with CF to <b>not be breast fed</b>, as they can't properly receive and process the added nutrients and benefits that formula can give. You can look for this info on the web.

kclynn87

kclynn87

kclynn87

wanderlost

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>kclynn87</b></i>

Actually, I read somewhere (it may have been on www.mycysticfibrosis.com) that it is best for babies with CF to <b>not be breast fed</b>, as they can't properly receive and process the added nutrients and benefits that formula can give. You can look for this info on the web.</end quote></div>

OMG. No! Formula does not have added nutrients and benefits - formula is INFERIOIR! that being said, there are special predigested formulas (nutramigen, I believe) that are sometimes given to infants who have serious digestive issues, but chances are, if she already knows her baby has CF she won't ever need to use any of those because she will beable to montior digestion from the start.

There are some studies (Lauren has been looking for the links), or at least anecdotes, that suggest breastfeeding actually holds CF symptoms at bay and that many infants were not even diagnosed until going on formula or solid foods because their bodies had such a hard time digesting those, Breastmilk is the gentlest on the digestive track.

I ditto posting to families: most of us here are Cfers with babies rather than the paretns of them, so you might get better advice from other people who have been through what you're dealing with. I think you'll find this site to be very helpful.

Check out :

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cfnutrition4life.com/
">http://www.cfnutrition4life.com/
</a>
from that site:

<i>This site is dedicated to providing information, encouragement, and support to families whose children have been diagnosed with CYSTIC FIBROSIS and who wish to breastfeed their babies.

It is our goal that every woman who chooses to breastfeed her baby feels supported in that choice.

It is our hope that if you plan to or are currently breastfeeding and finding it difficult to work with your medical team, you can use this site to self-educate and more effectively discuss your wishes.

As moms of children with cystic fibrosis, we understand the unique challenges you may face when caring for your child. We offer you our hearts, OUR STORIES,and our experience to help support you along your journey into motherhood through nursing.

We have gathered ARTICLES AND STUDIES on breastfeeding and cystic fibrosis and share our personal stories to give you the support you need to provide your child with the best nutrition possible - YOUR BREAST MILK.

Don't forget to sign in so you can take advantage of our DISCUSSION FORUMS as well. They include moms like you who have babies with CF and also some La Leche League friends and leaders.

And when they begin to make that journey towards solid foods, don't forget to check out our NUTRITION SUPPORT site as well. You'll find the latest research on nutrition, supplements and complimentary care. Plus you'll find a growing library of recipes to help you prepare HEALTHY, SUPPORTIVE, HIGH calorie meals and snacks.

Thank you and we hope your baby can begin or continue his journey with you, being loved, cherished and nourished at your breast.

Much Health and Happiness,

Jody
Editor of CFNutrition4Life

Posted by jody on January 15 2007 17:27:14 3 Reads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW THIS SPRING...
CFN4LIFE FEATURED IN MOTHERING MAGAZINE Thanks to Mothering Magazine's online newsletter, our message of support is spreading. See the announcement HERE.

NEW ARTICLE You will be happy to note a new article entitled KEEPING DIGESTIVE ISSUES AT BAY by Dr. George Wootan. It provides very useful information about the role of breast milk in the developing infant.

HELPFUL TOOL Thanks to one of our visitors, we also have new information about a device which actually measures the fat content of breast milk. It is called a CREAMATOCRIT and it can be used to help determine calorie content and intake for any breastfeeding mom. I thought this would be particularly helpful for those who are having a difficult time estimating and determining caloric intake.

COMING SOON In the summer edition, you will find an article about the options for using BREAST MILK BANKS for moms who can not breastfeed their CF infant or who are and may require additional calories through supplemental feeding.

</i>

wanderlost

Actually, I read somewhere (it may have been on www.mycysticfibrosis.com) that it is best for babies with CF to <b>not be breast fed</b>, as they can't properly receive and process the added nutrients and benefits that formula can give. You can look for this info on the web.</end quote></div>

OMG. No! Formula does not have added nutrients and benefits - formula is INFERIOIR! that being said, there are special predigested formulas (nutramigen, I believe) that are sometimes given to infants who have serious digestive issues, but chances are, if she already knows her baby has CF she won't ever need to use any of those because she will beable to montior digestion from the start.

There are some studies (Lauren has been looking for the links), or at least anecdotes, that suggest breastfeeding actually holds CF symptoms at bay and that many infants were not even diagnosed until going on formula or solid foods because their bodies had such a hard time digesting those, Breastmilk is the gentlest on the digestive track.

I ditto posting to families: most of us here are Cfers with babies rather than the paretns of them, so you might get better advice from other people who have been through what you're dealing with. I think you'll find this site to be very helpful.

Check out :

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cfnutrition4life.com/
</a>
from that site:

<i>This site is dedicated to providing information, encouragement, and support to families whose children have been diagnosed with CYSTIC FIBROSIS and who wish to breastfeed their babies.

It is our goal that every woman who chooses to breastfeed her baby feels supported in that choice.

It is our hope that if you plan to or are currently breastfeeding and finding it difficult to work with your medical team, you can use this site to self-educate and more effectively discuss your wishes.

As moms of children with cystic fibrosis, we understand the unique challenges you may face when caring for your child. We offer you our hearts, OUR STORIES,and our experience to help support you along your journey into motherhood through nursing.

We have gathered ARTICLES AND STUDIES on breastfeeding and cystic fibrosis and share our personal stories to give you the support you need to provide your child with the best nutrition possible - YOUR BREAST MILK.

Don't forget to sign in so you can take advantage of our DISCUSSION FORUMS as well. They include moms like you who have babies with CF and also some La Leche League friends and leaders.

And when they begin to make that journey towards solid foods, don't forget to check out our NUTRITION SUPPORT site as well. You'll find the latest research on nutrition, supplements and complimentary care. Plus you'll find a growing library of recipes to help you prepare HEALTHY, SUPPORTIVE, HIGH calorie meals and snacks.

Thank you and we hope your baby can begin or continue his journey with you, being loved, cherished and nourished at your breast.

Jody

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW THIS SPRING...
CFN4LIFE FEATURED IN MOTHERING MAGAZINE Thanks to Mothering Magazine's online newsletter, our message of support is spreading. See the announcement HERE.

NEW ARTICLE You will be happy to note a new article entitled KEEPING DIGESTIVE ISSUES AT BAY by Dr. George Wootan. It provides very useful information about the role of breast milk in the developing infant.

HELPFUL TOOL Thanks to one of our visitors, we also have new information about a device which actually measures the fat content of breast milk. It is called a CREAMATOCRIT and it can be used to help determine calorie content and intake for any breastfeeding mom. I thought this would be particularly helpful for those who are having a difficult time estimating and determining caloric intake.

COMING SOON In the summer edition, you will find an article about the options for using BREAST MILK BANKS for moms who can not breastfeed their CF infant or who are and may require additional calories through supplemental feeding.

</i>

wanderlost

Check out :

</a>
from that site:

Jody

NEW THIS SPRING...

</i>

wanderlost

Actually, I read somewhere (it may have been on www.mycysticfibrosis.com) that it is best for babies with CF to <b>not be breast fed</b>, as they can't properly receive and process the added nutrients and benefits that formula can give. You can look for this info on the web.</end quote>

Check out :

</a>
from that site:

Jody

NEW THIS SPRING...

</i>

wanderlost

Actually, I read somewhere (it may have been on www.mycysticfibrosis.com) that it is best for babies with CF to <b>not be breast fed</b>, as they can't properly receive and process the added nutrients and benefits that formula can give. You can look for this info on the web.</end quote>

Check out :

</a>
from that site:

Jody

NEW THIS SPRING...

</i>

K

Keepercjr

Yikes! I second what Wanderlost and Bonnie said - breastfeed your baby! Too many CF babies aren't breastfed and I can't help but wonder if some of the problems they experience (especially GI issues) could have been prevented or lessened by breastfeeding. My mom breastfed me for 2.5 years and my brother (he had CF too) for 3.5 years. I am truly thankful to her for doing so. I am currently still nursing my almost 3 year old so you can see my family believes in breastfeeding, LOL.

I hate to think that there are people out there spreading WRONG information - especially about formula being better (I have a hard time even typing that...ugh). If your doctor tells you that you shouldn't breastfeed your CF baby, FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR! I would say you could just not listen but since you are a first time it can be too easy to be bullied into doing what the doctor says, no matter if they're right or not.

As for setting up the baby room - few stuffed animals and no carpeting if you can help it. If you do have carpet (my whole house is carpeted), vacuum it frequently and have it professionally cleaned every 6 months. But I agree with Bonnie - have the baby in your room or in your bed for a while to help with breastfeeding. And all that close contact can help babies grow better.

Good luck!!

K

Keepercjr

Yikes! I second what Wanderlost and Bonnie said - breastfeed your baby! Too many CF babies aren't breastfed and I can't help but wonder if some of the problems they experience (especially GI issues) could have been prevented or lessened by breastfeeding. My mom breastfed me for 2.5 years and my brother (he had CF too) for 3.5 years. I am truly thankful to her for doing so. I am currently still nursing my almost 3 year old so you can see my family believes in breastfeeding, LOL.

I hate to think that there are people out there spreading WRONG information - especially about formula being better (I have a hard time even typing that...ugh). If your doctor tells you that you shouldn't breastfeed your CF baby, FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR! I would say you could just not listen but since you are a first time it can be too easy to be bullied into doing what the doctor says, no matter if they're right or not.

As for setting up the baby room - few stuffed animals and no carpeting if you can help it. If you do have carpet (my whole house is carpeted), vacuum it frequently and have it professionally cleaned every 6 months. But I agree with Bonnie - have the baby in your room or in your bed for a while to help with breastfeeding. And all that close contact can help babies grow better.

Good luck!!

K

Keepercjr

Good luck!!

K

Keepercjr

Good luck!!

K

Keepercjr

Good luck!!