A general nausea question....

jleigh

Do any of you experience on and off nausea (or have in the past) and could it be related to PI?? I have been having problems with nausea for about a year and a half...some times it is worse than others. When it's worse, I take Zofran and most of the time that helps. I have told my gastro doc about it on several occasions, but he never gives me any clear indication as to why or even maybe why. I do not take enzymes but I think in the next couple weeks I will most likely have to start. I had a fecal fat test done which showed higher than normal fat content, but I also had to do a fecal elastase test and the result of that will not be in for about 10 days. About a month ago I just went through a horrible bout of constipation, now it is the complete opposite...I seem to be going at least a couple times a day and it is bulky and looser than normal.

Anyway, I just wanted to find out if anyone else deals with nausea on and off and if so had you been given any logical reasoning for it.

TIA,
Jen 34 w/cf (diagnosed 3 years ago)

anonymous

It sounds like you are having pancreatic insufficency. It could be responsible for your nausea, and you may be having stomach acid over produciton. Most of us get nausea from all kinds of things (usually meds).

Ask your doc about starting Prevacid, especially if you begin taking enzymes b/c acid deactivates them.
Debbie
23 w/CF

jleigh

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the reply. I actually am already on Nexium...have been on something prescription for GERD (i.e. Prevacid, now Neixum) for several years.

I just wasn't sure how common nausea could be in general for people with CF due to digestive issues. I do know that certain medications can contribute to it, but I am not taking anything now that I haven't taken for quite some time.

Thanks again,
Jen