ABPA and flare ups are they alot

sunflower

I just got out of hospital after doing seventeen days of Ivs for Psuedomonas and I am starting home IV's tomorrow morning for my ABPA flair up.
Can anyone tell me if I am doing Cortisone IV's for high IGE level is there anypoint taking six weeks supply of Itraconazole at the same time?.
I am just confused is the steroids not enough?
Why does my doctor wait for me to get sick. Is anyone on a good regimen to treat there flair up.
I get the falir up the same time every year.

Sunflower
40yrs old.

sunflower

I just got out of hospital after doing seventeen days of Ivs for Psuedomonas and I am starting home IV's tomorrow morning for my ABPA flair up.
Can anyone tell me if I am doing Cortisone IV's for high IGE level is there anypoint taking six weeks supply of Itraconazole at the same time?.
I am just confused is the steroids not enough?
Why does my doctor wait for me to get sick. Is anyone on a good regimen to treat there flair up.
I get the falir up the same time every year.

Sunflower
40yrs old.

sunflower

<br />Can anyone tell me if I am doing Cortisone IV's for high IGE level is there anypoint taking six weeks supply of Itraconazole at the same time?.
<br />I am just confused is the steroids not enough?
<br />Why does my doctor wait for me to get sick. Is anyone on a good regimen to treat there flair up.
<br />I get the falir up the same time every year.
<br />
<br />Sunflower
<br />__________
<br />ABPA-Asthma
<br />Bronchi, Psudeomonas
<br />sinus
<br />40yrs old.

ej0820

Yes, there is a point in taking both. The IV cortisone (steroid) is treating the inflammation/allergic reaction (what's causing your high IgE level), which is the "ABP" part of ABPA. The Itraconazole is an antibiotic (not a steroid) treating the aspergillus, the organism that is in your lungs making you sick...the last "A" of ABPA (and causing your allergic reaction).

Hope this helps. Trust me, I know how much IVs suck, I've been doing them for the last 6 months. I don't know why your doc wouldn't want to start these meds, at least the cortizone, as a preventative measure since you get this the same time every year. I could understand your doc not wanting to have the aspergillus become resistant to the Itraconazole by having you take it the same time every year just as a precaution, but I've been put on steroids the same time every year before as a preventative measure for inflammation and wheezing and it's never caused problems. Maybe ask your doc next time you go to clinic why you can't start steroids earlier than this time of year to possibly give you relief before your symptoms get bad each time.

ej0820

Yes, there is a point in taking both. The IV cortisone (steroid) is treating the inflammation/allergic reaction (what's causing your high IgE level), which is the "ABP" part of ABPA. The Itraconazole is an antibiotic (not a steroid) treating the aspergillus, the organism that is in your lungs making you sick...the last "A" of ABPA (and causing your allergic reaction).

Hope this helps. Trust me, I know how much IVs suck, I've been doing them for the last 6 months. I don't know why your doc wouldn't want to start these meds, at least the cortizone, as a preventative measure since you get this the same time every year. I could understand your doc not wanting to have the aspergillus become resistant to the Itraconazole by having you take it the same time every year just as a precaution, but I've been put on steroids the same time every year before as a preventative measure for inflammation and wheezing and it's never caused problems. Maybe ask your doc next time you go to clinic why you can't start steroids earlier than this time of year to possibly give you relief before your symptoms get bad each time.

ej0820

<br />
<br />Hope this helps. Trust me, I know how much IVs suck, I've been doing them for the last 6 months. I don't know why your doc wouldn't want to start these meds, at least the cortizone, as a preventative measure since you get this the same time every year. I could understand your doc not wanting to have the aspergillus become resistant to the Itraconazole by having you take it the same time every year just as a precaution, but I've been put on steroids the same time every year before as a preventative measure for inflammation and wheezing and it's never caused problems. Maybe ask your doc next time you go to clinic why you can't start steroids earlier than this time of year to possibly give you relief before your symptoms get bad each time.

Liza

Itraconazole is a antifungal not an antibiotic.

This is how my daughter was treated. She was given an oral dose of Prednisone (I can't recall the dose as it was back in 2002) and Sporonox (Itraconazole). The Prednisone was semi-long term, about 4 months, the Sporonox was about 6 months. That was pre-transplant.

She went about 6 yrs before growing Aspergillus again, post tx. in the dead of a NE winter. Her transplant team treated her with, Amphotericin B, inhaled, and replaced her Sporonox with V-Fend (Voriconazole). Lung tx patients are put on anti-fungal at Stanford due to a high incidence of Aspergillus in the area because of all the construction in and around Stanford.

Liza

This is how my daughter was treated. She was given an oral dose of Prednisone (I can't recall the dose as it was back in 2002) and Sporonox (Itraconazole). The Prednisone was semi-long term, about 4 months, the Sporonox was about 6 months. That was pre-transplant.

She went about 6 yrs before growing Aspergillus again, post tx. in the dead of a NE winter. Her transplant team treated her with, Amphotericin B, inhaled, and replaced her Sporonox with V-Fend (Voriconazole). Lung tx patients are put on anti-fungal at Stanford due to a high incidence of Aspergillus in the area because of all the construction in and around Stanford.

Liza

<br />
<br />This is how my daughter was treated. She was given an oral dose of Prednisone (I can't recall the dose as it was back in 2002) and Sporonox (Itraconazole). The Prednisone was semi-long term, about 4 months, the Sporonox was about 6 months. That was pre-transplant.
<br />
<br />She went about 6 yrs before growing Aspergillus again, post tx. in the dead of a NE winter. Her transplant team treated her with, Amphotericin B, inhaled, and replaced her Sporonox with V-Fend (Voriconazole). Lung tx patients are put on anti-fungal at Stanford due to a high incidence of Aspergillus in the area because of all the construction in and around Stanford.