acapella / flutter

ehtansky21

Have your younger kids tried them...I am assuming they wouldn't work for my almost 3 year old, but maybe for my 6 year old.

How are they different from the vest??? Have you seen positive results for the younger kids????

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

Have your younger kids tried them...I am assuming they wouldn't work for my almost 3 year old, but maybe for my 6 year old.

How are they different from the vest??? Have you seen positive results for the younger kids????

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

<br />
<br />How are they different from the vest??? Have you seen positive results for the younger kids????
<br />
<br />
<br />blessings,
<br />missa

T

TonyaH

Andrew started using a flutter when he was around 9 or 10. He is 12 now.

Using a flutter requires perfect technique. The force and length of your breath, the angle at which you hold it, the angle of your neck...everything matters. Andrew picked up on it right away. I do always watch him, though, to make sure he's doing it affectively. (It's easy to "cheat" on). If it done correctly you will feel the chest vibrate so from time to time I'll put my hands on his back and chest to make sure he's getting a good vibration.

The good news is that Andrew's flutter is more affective than his vest. For him, that is what works to get the most productive cough. We use a combination of vest, flutter, and manual CPT, depending on his mood. But when we travel it is all flutter! It so easy to pack and clean!

I would think 6 would be a little young for flutter. But, I guess it depends on your kiddo and how well they can control their breathing.

Good luck!

T

TonyaH

Using a flutter requires perfect technique. The force and length of your breath, the angle at which you hold it, the angle of your neck...everything matters. Andrew picked up on it right away. I do always watch him, though, to make sure he's doing it affectively. (It's easy to "cheat" on). If it done correctly you will feel the chest vibrate so from time to time I'll put my hands on his back and chest to make sure he's getting a good vibration.

The good news is that Andrew's flutter is more affective than his vest. For him, that is what works to get the most productive cough. We use a combination of vest, flutter, and manual CPT, depending on his mood. But when we travel it is all flutter! It so easy to pack and clean!

I would think 6 would be a little young for flutter. But, I guess it depends on your kiddo and how well they can control their breathing.

Good luck!

T

TonyaH

<br />
<br />Using a flutter requires perfect technique. The force and length of your breath, the angle at which you hold it, the angle of your neck...everything matters. Andrew picked up on it right away. I do always watch him, though, to make sure he's doing it affectively. (It's easy to "cheat" on). If it done correctly you will feel the chest vibrate so from time to time I'll put my hands on his back and chest to make sure he's getting a good vibration.
<br />
<br />The good news is that Andrew's flutter is more affective than his vest. For him, that is what works to get the most productive cough. We use a combination of vest, flutter, and manual CPT, depending on his mood. But when we travel it is all flutter! It so easy to pack and clean!
<br />
<br />I would think 6 would be a little young for flutter. But, I guess it depends on your kiddo and how well they can control their breathing.
<br />
<br />Good luck!

zoe4life

Hi! Zoe uses the acapella when we are in the van....because we have to drive to an early appt. She does her breathing treatments with her portable machine, then the acapella. For Zoe, the acapella is very effective in making her cough. She coughs the most when she pushes air out...which is what the acapella makes you do. We do 30 minutes of vest in the morning, either 15 minutes of manual cpt or the percussor 5000 at night. We believe that 'switching' up cpt methods is very effective also!

Take care!

zoe4life

Hi! Zoe uses the acapella when we are in the van....because we have to drive to an early appt. She does her breathing treatments with her portable machine, then the acapella. For Zoe, the acapella is very effective in making her cough. She coughs the most when she pushes air out...which is what the acapella makes you do. We do 30 minutes of vest in the morning, either 15 minutes of manual cpt or the percussor 5000 at night. We believe that 'switching' up cpt methods is very effective also!

Take care!

zoe4life

<br />
<br />Take care!

ehtansky21

Jada,
how old is Zoe and when did she start using the acapella. is there a certain technique you have to use to make it work most effectively???

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

Jada,
how old is Zoe and when did she start using the acapella. is there a certain technique you have to use to make it work most effectively???

blessings,
missa

ehtansky21

Jada,
<br />how old is Zoe and when did she start using the acapella. is there a certain technique you have to use to make it work most effectively???
<br />
<br />blessings,
<br />missa

kellyga

Our RT said my daughter wouldn't start trying to learn how to use it until she was 5. Her opinion was that kids younger than that just think it's a toy.

kellyga

Our RT said my daughter wouldn't start trying to learn how to use it until she was 5. Her opinion was that kids younger than that just think it's a toy.

kellyga

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I may ask about this next time at clinic to use it in addition to the VEST. Maggie got a cough at the end of school, a viral type thing. In addition to her VEST, I would have her breathe like she was doing a PFT and it helped loosen the mucus stuck in her throat. We upped her Bactrim as well. I think it's good to teach them certain ways to breathe to loosen stuff up.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I may ask about this next time at clinic to use it in addition to the VEST. Maggie got a cough at the end of school, a viral type thing. In addition to her VEST, I would have her breathe like she was doing a PFT and it helped loosen the mucus stuck in her throat. We upped her Bactrim as well. I think it's good to teach them certain ways to breathe to loosen stuff up.

Rebjane

Super Moderator

zoe4life

Missa,
Zoe was about 5 I She definately does it better this year. She is 6 now. It pretty much is like doing a pft. The need to be able to push out air as long as they can.

Take care!

zoe4life

Missa,
Zoe was about 5 I She definately does it better this year. She is 6 now. It pretty much is like doing a pft. The need to be able to push out air as long as they can.

Take care!