Accuracy of Newborn Screening Tests

Annewyman

I have a son that turned two last week. I did not have a prenatal screening for CF, but in my state a newborn screening is completed.

From what I have read, the newborn screening test do not have many false-negative test.

My son is below the growth chart in weight and is 20% in height. He has an appetite of a normal two year old (i.e. some days eats well, some days does not) He always has loose stools and a constant runny nose.

He was seen by a pediatric endocrinologist and had blood test that did not indicate any problems.

My pediatrician recommended that we follow-up with the endocrinologist for a sweat test to rule out CF.

I am confused as he passed the newborn screening test. Do you know of incidences where a child passes the newborn screening only to find out they do have CF?

Annewyman

I have a son that turned two last week. I did not have a prenatal screening for CF, but in my state a newborn screening is completed.

From what I have read, the newborn screening test do not have many false-negative test.

My son is below the growth chart in weight and is 20% in height. He has an appetite of a normal two year old (i.e. some days eats well, some days does not) He always has loose stools and a constant runny nose.

He was seen by a pediatric endocrinologist and had blood test that did not indicate any problems.

My pediatrician recommended that we follow-up with the endocrinologist for a sweat test to rule out CF.

I am confused as he passed the newborn screening test. Do you know of incidences where a child passes the newborn screening only to find out they do have CF?

Annewyman

Annewyman

Annewyman

<br />
<br />From what I have read, the newborn screening test do not have many false-negative test.
<br />
<br />My son is below the growth chart in weight and is 20% in height. He has an appetite of a normal two year old (i.e. some days eats well, some days does not) He always has loose stools and a constant runny nose.
<br />
<br />He was seen by a pediatric endocrinologist and had blood test that did not indicate any problems.
<br />
<br />My pediatrician recommended that we follow-up with the endocrinologist for a sweat test to rule out CF.
<br />
<br />I am confused as he passed the newborn screening test. Do you know of incidences where a child passes the newborn screening only to find out they do have CF?

JazzysMom

A newborn screening is just that....a screening. If something is flagged on it then additional testing needs to be done.

The same thing goes for the OB screening. General testing/screening covers around 25 of known mutations, but there are over 1000 actual mutations known & testing available for.

When you say he was seen by a Pediatric Endo & blood test didnt indicate any problems....what does that mean? What EXACTLY was tested for?

I would pursue the testing. IF you son does have CF its important to begin proper care to help him in the future.

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

A newborn screening is just that....a screening. If something is flagged on it then additional testing needs to be done.

The same thing goes for the OB screening. General testing/screening covers around 25 of known mutations, but there are over 1000 actual mutations known & testing available for.

When you say he was seen by a Pediatric Endo & blood test didnt indicate any problems....what does that mean? What EXACTLY was tested for?

I would pursue the testing. IF you son does have CF its important to begin proper care to help him in the future.

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />The same thing goes for the OB screening. General testing/screening covers around 25 of known mutations, but there are over 1000 actual mutations known & testing available for.
<br />
<br />When you say he was seen by a Pediatric Endo & blood test didnt indicate any problems....what does that mean? What EXACTLY was tested for?
<br />
<br />I would pursue the testing. IF you son does have CF its important to begin proper care to help him in the future.
<br />
<br />Good Luck!

D

domsmom

I was screened during preganacy and my son passed newborn screening. However at age 4 he was diagnosed with CF. I would persue further testing. Good luck!

D

domsmom

I was screened during preganacy and my son passed newborn screening. However at age 4 he was diagnosed with CF. I would persue further testing. Good luck!

D

domsmom

D

domsmom

D

domsmom

cfbigbrother

Depending on which state you live in CF screening may not have been included on the screen when your son was born. Our daughter is 2, we live in California. When she was born the CF screen was not part of the newborn screen in California. It is now, but was not then.SO although your son passed the newborn screen it does have to mean he was screened for CF.

cfbigbrother

Depending on which state you live in CF screening may not have been included on the screen when your son was born. Our daughter is 2, we live in California. When she was born the CF screen was not part of the newborn screen in California. It is now, but was not then.SO although your son passed the newborn screen it does have to mean he was screened for CF.

cfbigbrother

cfbigbrother

cfbigbrother