Accuracy of Newborn Screening Tests

Annewyman

Thanks for the responses. I live in South Carolina where screening for CF in newborns was mandated in 2004. Therefore, my son passed the CF screening test when born.

When we went to the endocrinologist, they tested for any vitamin deficiencies and hormone issues that may cause issues with growth and nothing was found.

I plan to follow-up with the endocrinologist, I was wondering if anyone knows of children who did pass the CF screening at birth but was found to have CF.

The CDC website says the screening for CF at birth is 99% accurate. That is why I am confused as to why my pediatrician would be concerned about CF.

Annewyman

Thanks for the responses. I live in South Carolina where screening for CF in newborns was mandated in 2004. Therefore, my son passed the CF screening test when born.

When we went to the endocrinologist, they tested for any vitamin deficiencies and hormone issues that may cause issues with growth and nothing was found.

I plan to follow-up with the endocrinologist, I was wondering if anyone knows of children who did pass the CF screening at birth but was found to have CF.

The CDC website says the screening for CF at birth is 99% accurate. That is why I am confused as to why my pediatrician would be concerned about CF.

Annewyman

Annewyman

Annewyman

<br />
<br />When we went to the endocrinologist, they tested for any vitamin deficiencies and hormone issues that may cause issues with growth and nothing was found.
<br />
<br />I plan to follow-up with the endocrinologist, I was wondering if anyone knows of children who did pass the CF screening at birth but was found to have CF.
<br />
<br />The CDC website says the screening for CF at birth is 99% accurate. That is why I am confused as to why my pediatrician would be concerned about CF.

saveferris2009

as you stay on this site longer, you'll find many who fit in that 1% who passed the screening....

the only answer will be to get a full panel Ambry Amplified test.

saveferris2009

as you stay on this site longer, you'll find many who fit in that 1% who passed the screening....

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />the only answer will be to get a full panel Ambry Amplified test.

folione

Here ya go: my boy passed the screen (so did I when screened for being a carrier before he was born). He's got CF (& I'm obviously at least a carrier).

The thing about statistics is that they're not an answer and what you want is an answer. Go for the sweat test at an accredited CF center and see where that leads.

folione

Here ya go: my boy passed the screen (so did I when screened for being a carrier before he was born). He's got CF (& I'm obviously at least a carrier).

The thing about statistics is that they're not an answer and what you want is an answer. Go for the sweat test at an accredited CF center and see where that leads.

folione

folione

folione

<br />
<br />The thing about statistics is that they're not an answer and what you want is an answer. Go for the sweat test at an accredited CF center and see where that leads.