acinetobacter baumanii

rvm1212

Hi,
My husband has acinetobacter baumanii in his last sputum culture. He used to only culture s. aureus that has been treated with oral augmentine and he has a pretty good fev (around 85-89%%). He is 40 diagnosed as an adult (33). He had some cough increase lately due to a virus we all had, and he was started on augmentine. He took a sputum sample to the lab before starting the treatment (white sputum). He has been on augmentine (oral) for five days and is doing very well. The cough has almost disapear, but his culture came back positive for s. aureus and acinetobacter baumanii. I am very worry about the acinetobacter. Any one has culture it before?. How has it affected your health?. Have you been able of erradicate it or it keeps coming back in your cultures?. The doctor says that since his is doing so good on augmentine, (which the acinetobacter is resistant to), he doesn´t think is playing a big roll in his exacerbation, and he said we will just take another sputum sample and if it still comes back positive will treat with oral ciprofloxacin for two weeks, if not he won´t treat it. But I´m worrying myself to death since it seems to be a very nasty bug.
Can you please give me some insight?. Thank you very much. !!!!

rvm1212

Hi,
My husband has acinetobacter baumanii in his last sputum culture. He used to only culture s. aureus that has been treated with oral augmentine and he has a pretty good fev (around 85-89%%). He is 40 diagnosed as an adult (33). He had some cough increase lately due to a virus we all had, and he was started on augmentine. He took a sputum sample to the lab before starting the treatment (white sputum). He has been on augmentine (oral) for five days and is doing very well. The cough has almost disapear, but his culture came back positive for s. aureus and acinetobacter baumanii. I am very worry about the acinetobacter. Any one has culture it before?. How has it affected your health?. Have you been able of erradicate it or it keeps coming back in your cultures?. The doctor says that since his is doing so good on augmentine, (which the acinetobacter is resistant to), he doesn´t think is playing a big roll in his exacerbation, and he said we will just take another sputum sample and if it still comes back positive will treat with oral ciprofloxacin for two weeks, if not he won´t treat it. But I´m worrying myself to death since it seems to be a very nasty bug.
Can you please give me some insight?. Thank you very much. !!!!