adhesive allergy with a PICC line

T

tarheel

oh- a test you can do for a port (if you consider it- it's what I did when I was thinking about a port) is put the dressing over your chest. I have no reaction where my port is, and I don't use dressing where my insulin pump is- only the set. They stopped using chloraprep on my picc lines, but as I suspect will be the same for you it was far too little too late.

T

tarheel

oh- a test you can do for a port (if you consider it- it's what I did when I was thinking about a port) is put the dressing over your chest. I have no reaction where my port is, and I don't use dressing where my insulin pump is- only the set. They stopped using chloraprep on my picc lines, but as I suspect will be the same for you it was far too little too late.

bananagirl

I have this problem too but not as bad yet. When I was younger it didn't itch at all but it has been itching a lot more lately. I saw someone mention sorbaview and I agree it helps alot plus it is nicer to have on my arm. It still itches though so it might be the cholorprep my other idea is that it is the skin prep stuff becasue when I get these put on in the hospital they don't use that and it used to not itch. I think this time I'm going to test it with the left over stuff.

bananagirl

I have this problem too but not as bad yet. When I was younger it didn't itch at all but it has been itching a lot more lately. I saw someone mention sorbaview and I agree it helps alot plus it is nicer to have on my arm. It still itches though so it might be the cholorprep my other idea is that it is the skin prep stuff becasue when I get these put on in the hospital they don't use that and it used to not itch. I think this time I'm going to test it with the left over stuff.

bananagirl

coltsfan715

I have an adhesive allergy as well and for me the best thing for me out of everything that was ever tried was any clear adhesives - if they were white they were the worst. After a few years of using tegaderm I started having issues with getting blisters under the tegaderm and massive itching to the point I would almost tear off skin.

The only thing that ever really helped was when my nurses would allow my skin time to breathe during the dressing change. At first they used the betadin cleanser which worked wonderfully at relieving some of my discomfort but I developed an allergy in my early 20s to iodine, so they switched to alcohol pads and swabs. The alcohol would dry the skin out yes BUT the moisture would help some and adding a small bit of lotion to the skin around the site and then swabbing again with alcohol. I also used lotion around the outer edges of the tegaderm to help with itching as well.

I say use the benadryl if you need too there is no need to be miserable. I had to use benadryl every time I had a dose of vancomycin for years and have used it for other med allergies and things were fine. Do what you need to do to be comfortable.

Hope you find something that works for you and if not hope you find a way to at least control the symptoms of the allergy.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

I have an adhesive allergy as well and for me the best thing for me out of everything that was ever tried was any clear adhesives - if they were white they were the worst. After a few years of using tegaderm I started having issues with getting blisters under the tegaderm and massive itching to the point I would almost tear off skin.

The only thing that ever really helped was when my nurses would allow my skin time to breathe during the dressing change. At first they used the betadin cleanser which worked wonderfully at relieving some of my discomfort but I developed an allergy in my early 20s to iodine, so they switched to alcohol pads and swabs. The alcohol would dry the skin out yes BUT the moisture would help some and adding a small bit of lotion to the skin around the site and then swabbing again with alcohol. I also used lotion around the outer edges of the tegaderm to help with itching as well.

I say use the benadryl if you need too there is no need to be miserable. I had to use benadryl every time I had a dose of vancomycin for years and have used it for other med allergies and things were fine. Do what you need to do to be comfortable.

Hope you find something that works for you and if not hope you find a way to at least control the symptoms of the allergy.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

<br />
<br />The only thing that ever really helped was when my nurses would allow my skin time to breathe during the dressing change. At first they used the betadin cleanser which worked wonderfully at relieving some of my discomfort but I developed an allergy in my early 20s to iodine, so they switched to alcohol pads and swabs. The alcohol would dry the skin out yes BUT the moisture would help some and adding a small bit of lotion to the skin around the site and then swabbing again with alcohol. I also used lotion around the outer edges of the tegaderm to help with itching as well.
<br />
<br />I say use the benadryl if you need too there is no need to be miserable. I had to use benadryl every time I had a dose of vancomycin for years and have used it for other med allergies and things were fine. Do what you need to do to be comfortable.
<br />
<br />Hope you find something that works for you and if not hope you find a way to at least control the symptoms of the allergy.
<br />
<br />Lindsey

DogLuver105

I have had alot of trouble with PICC dressings and i am allergic to the tegaderm, IV 3000, the whole deal. I am also allergic to the chloraprep and other skin protecctants. i have found that bedadine and alcohol work best and the dressing i use is centurion sorbaview. It is wonderful. My skin used to break out in blisters and all that mess but this is much better. its still red, bumpy, and itchy sometimes but it is so much better than anything else i have tried. I highly recommend it to everyone.

DogLuver105

I have had alot of trouble with PICC dressings and i am allergic to the tegaderm, IV 3000, the whole deal. I am also allergic to the chloraprep and other skin protecctants. i have found that bedadine and alcohol work best and the dressing i use is centurion sorbaview. It is wonderful. My skin used to break out in blisters and all that mess but this is much better. its still red, bumpy, and itchy sometimes but it is so much better than anything else i have tried. I highly recommend it to everyone.

DogLuver105

JennifersHope

The Sorbaview is the only one that doesn't break me out. I can't stand the tegaderm. If this doesn't work for you, don't suffer, tell them you will take it off unless they find a different dressing for you, As far as the nurse who dropped stuff and picked it up with sterile gloves, you need to report him to a supervisor, just ask to speak to the charge nurse. That is totally unacceptable

JennifersHope

The Sorbaview is the only one that doesn't break me out. I can't stand the tegaderm. If this doesn't work for you, don't suffer, tell them you will take it off unless they find a different dressing for you, As far as the nurse who dropped stuff and picked it up with sterile gloves, you need to report him to a supervisor, just ask to speak to the charge nurse. That is totally unacceptable

JennifersHope