Advice

mom4holly

ok, there are so many viruses spreading around my daughters school right now. She has been really sick this year. They just gave her some IV Antibiotics & she went back to school this week after being out for a while. The doctor suggester her wearing a mask to school for atleast a few weeks because she has an infection in her lungs & doesn't want anymore contamination. The school nurse suggestion home bound where a teacher comes out for an hour a day but she has a hard time keeping up in school so I'm trying to stay away from that.

She has never been resistant to go to school before, that is her favorite part of life!!! Now, when I take her to school in the morning she has to practically be drug in kicking & screaming. She seems very concerned about going to school & looks as if she fears the word school all together now.

How can you make a 5 year old feel more confident in wearing a mask to school? Is there something special the teacher or I could do to help her? Has anyone elses child ever had to wear a mask to school?

mom4holly

ok, there are so many viruses spreading around my daughters school right now. She has been really sick this year. They just gave her some IV Antibiotics & she went back to school this week after being out for a while. The doctor suggester her wearing a mask to school for atleast a few weeks because she has an infection in her lungs & doesn't want anymore contamination. The school nurse suggestion home bound where a teacher comes out for an hour a day but she has a hard time keeping up in school so I'm trying to stay away from that.

She has never been resistant to go to school before, that is her favorite part of life!!! Now, when I take her to school in the morning she has to practically be drug in kicking & screaming. She seems very concerned about going to school & looks as if she fears the word school all together now.

How can you make a 5 year old feel more confident in wearing a mask to school? Is there something special the teacher or I could do to help her? Has anyone elses child ever had to wear a mask to school?

mom4holly

mom4holly

mom4holly

fsuapril

I am sure this is very hard on her... she might even be going through a slight post tramatic syndrome..since she is scared to get sick... what if she decorates her mask the night before going to school....gives it time to dry if she uses markers... and let her "make it her own".... she might feel alittle better about wearing it. Worth a try!

fsuapril

I am sure this is very hard on her... she might even be going through a slight post tramatic syndrome..since she is scared to get sick... what if she decorates her mask the night before going to school....gives it time to dry if she uses markers... and let her "make it her own".... she might feel alittle better about wearing it. Worth a try!

fsuapril

fsuapril

fsuapril

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Bobbi,

I am sorry you daughter is having a hard time this year. I think it would be very hard for a 5 year old to wear a mask at school. I am not in your shoes yet, as my daughter only goes to nursery school a couple times a week. If your daughter's stamina and evergy level is ok, would going to school with teaching about proper handwashing(for all the kids), Purell, and instructing the teacher on wiping down toys etc and forget the mask? Avoiding these awful germs/viruses is a life-long thing for CF'ers. There is no easy way; but if the mask is traumatizing her about school; it's not the solution.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Bobbi,

I am sorry you daughter is having a hard time this year. I think it would be very hard for a 5 year old to wear a mask at school. I am not in your shoes yet, as my daughter only goes to nursery school a couple times a week. If your daughter's stamina and evergy level is ok, would going to school with teaching about proper handwashing(for all the kids), Purell, and instructing the teacher on wiping down toys etc and forget the mask? Avoiding these awful germs/viruses is a life-long thing for CF'ers. There is no easy way; but if the mask is traumatizing her about school; it's not the solution.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Bobbi,

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Bobbi,

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Bobbi,

mom4holly

We started school on August 1st & I think if one of the children has something, she has caught it. She has already missed 3 weeks of the 8 weeks we have been in school. I didn't want to do the mask either but her doctor says it is necessary. The main problem is her number 1 having another Cfer in the class next door as well as her having an unacceptable white blood cell count. They are using the handwashing, sanitizing & they have put away class toys & opted for extra activities like games & playing on the computer.

mom4holly

We started school on August 1st & I think if one of the children has something, she has caught it. She has already missed 3 weeks of the 8 weeks we have been in school. I didn't want to do the mask either but her doctor says it is necessary. The main problem is her number 1 having another Cfer in the class next door as well as her having an unacceptable white blood cell count. They are using the handwashing, sanitizing & they have put away class toys & opted for extra activities like games & playing on the computer.

mom4holly

mom4holly

mom4holly