Afraid of bacteria

reagansmom

I know how you feel. It has been a year now since my DD's diagnosis. I freaked out originally and still do at times, but you will find that you just can't control everything.

I was afraid to let my DD play outside for a while and tried buying things that would allow her to get exercise indoors like a bounce house and spring horse. But a couple of Dr. visits back we found out that DD needed more vitamin D. Her Dr. looked at me and said "you know
one of the best sources is the SUN."

I guess a year later the changes that stuck are using purell A LOT, air purifiers with HEPA filters throughout the house, cleaning with less harsh chemicals, I spray the tub with Clorox anywhere spray before her bath every time (I let it sit for a few minutes with the bathroom fan on and rinse before bringing her in), never using a bath towel more than once (without being washed), avoiding sick people, no shoes in the house.

We also had a dog when my DD was diagnosed, and in our panic we gave it up. Looking back it was probably for the best b/c the dog liked to dig a lot and the soil/bacteria would then be tracked into the house. However, we just got my lil' animal lover another puppy. We opted for the "hypoallergenic" poodle. None of us have known allergies to dogs and I don't believe our old dog caused DD any problems, but we like that they don't shed.

Your right to be worried about bacteria...we all do, but they have to be kids. I would love for my house to be sterile, but I could clean 24/7 an it still not be, and my DD wouldn't have a Mom...just a cleaning lady.

reagansmom

I know how you feel. It has been a year now since my DD's diagnosis. I freaked out originally and still do at times, but you will find that you just can't control everything.

I was afraid to let my DD play outside for a while and tried buying things that would allow her to get exercise indoors like a bounce house and spring horse. But a couple of Dr. visits back we found out that DD needed more vitamin D. Her Dr. looked at me and said "you know

I guess a year later the changes that stuck are using purell A LOT, air purifiers with HEPA filters throughout the house, cleaning with less harsh chemicals, I spray the tub with Clorox anywhere spray before her bath every time (I let it sit for a few minutes with the bathroom fan on and rinse before bringing her in), never using a bath towel more than once (without being washed), avoiding sick people, no shoes in the house.

We also had a dog when my DD was diagnosed, and in our panic we gave it up. Looking back it was probably for the best b/c the dog liked to dig a lot and the soil/bacteria would then be tracked into the house. However, we just got my lil' animal lover another puppy. We opted for the "hypoallergenic" poodle. None of us have known allergies to dogs and I don't believe our old dog caused DD any problems, but we like that they don't shed.

Your right to be worried about bacteria...we all do, but they have to be kids. I would love for my house to be sterile, but I could clean 24/7 an it still not be, and my DD wouldn't have a Mom...just a cleaning lady.

reagansmom

reagansmom

reagansmom

<br />
<br />I was afraid to let my DD play outside for a while and tried buying things that would allow her to get exercise indoors like a bounce house and spring horse. But a couple of Dr. visits back we found out that DD needed more vitamin D. Her Dr. looked at me and said "you know
<br />one of the best sources is the SUN."
<br />
<br />I guess a year later the changes that stuck are using purell A LOT, air purifiers with HEPA filters throughout the house, cleaning with less harsh chemicals, I spray the tub with Clorox anywhere spray before her bath every time (I let it sit for a few minutes with the bathroom fan on and rinse before bringing her in), never using a bath towel more than once (without being washed), avoiding sick people, no shoes in the house.
<br />
<br />We also had a dog when my DD was diagnosed, and in our panic we gave it up. Looking back it was probably for the best b/c the dog liked to dig a lot and the soil/bacteria would then be tracked into the house. However, we just got my lil' animal lover another puppy. We opted for the "hypoallergenic" poodle. None of us have known allergies to dogs and I don't believe our old dog caused DD any problems, but we like that they don't shed.
<br />
<br />Your right to be worried about bacteria...we all do, but they have to be kids. I would love for my house to be sterile, but I could clean 24/7 an it still not be, and my DD wouldn't have a Mom...just a cleaning lady.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to add is that while culturing pseudomonas was a huge blow -- felt like a kick in the stomach, that we were getting news that DS had CF all over again -- it doesn't necessarily mean that health is suddenly going to decline.

DS cultured nonmucoid psuedo at 3 months old. Who knows where it came from. He was at home -- if we DID go anywhere, he was confined to his carseat carrier. The doctor prescribed tobi nebs.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to add is that while culturing pseudomonas was a huge blow -- felt like a kick in the stomach, that we were getting news that DS had CF all over again -- it doesn't necessarily mean that health is suddenly going to decline.

DS cultured nonmucoid psuedo at 3 months old. Who knows where it came from. He was at home -- if we DID go anywhere, he was confined to his carseat carrier. The doctor prescribed tobi nebs.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />DS cultured nonmucoid psuedo at 3 months old. Who knows where it came from. He was at home -- if we DID go anywhere, he was confined to his carseat carrier. The doctor prescribed tobi nebs.