Air purifier

cabadie1

Also, what about air purifiers? I see there are some called germ guardians. Anyone have success with these? What about a salt water swimming pool? We have been in the pool all summer and this is the first time my daughter has contracted pseodomonas, so I'm wondering if she got it from the pool. I know it is so hard to tell, but just curious what others feel or know about a saltwater pool. Her doctor said it was fine, but I'm really wondering if it is. Thanks, Crystal.

bk

I, too, am wondering about how effective air purifiers really are. We've always had HEPAs, but our 23 y.o. son says he doesn't see any difference one way or the other. I just can't believe that would be true. Any respiratory therapists or experienced users out there with a recommendation for an air purifier for people w/cf?

ymikhale

Well, I am not an expert, I have had a hepa with carbon filter for a while. Can't say I saw a huge difference, but 2 things are to mention: 1/ when I change the carbon filter (approx every 3 months), it has a thick layer of dust on it, so it does make air cleaner 2/ my dD has been having a horrible issue with allergies lately, and the only place where she coughed less was at home.

E

edan

Re: Swimming pools, I have dipsticks from target that shows all the levels of chemicals in the pool. If total and free chlorine are not in the OK range, we don't let our daughter go in.

Re; filters, we got the IQ air health plus pro (or something like that). filters down to the smallest particles. I put one in our room and one in my daughter's room. The next morning, my husband woke up completely clear. He is allergic to dust and dust mites. Every day of his life he woke up clogged up before that.

JENNYC

Our daughter has had really really bad sinus'. She was having to have polyps removed literally every 3 months. We had her allergy tested twice...they said she had no allergies. So my next step was the whole house HEPA filters like they use on extreme home makeover. I purchased it and now 2 maybe 2.5 years later I am so very thankful that I did! My son and I have horrible allergies and my husband use to snore like a freight train. Since purchasing Abby has had 2 sinus surgeries and that's I believe because we moved in with my mom while our home was being built with no Hepa filters. I have no proof but I know in my heart that it has to be the HEPA filter. You know how you see tons of dust particles in the air when a ray of sunshine is beaming in? Well with my HEPA filter you are very lucky if you see 3 particles literally floating around!! I have nothing but good things to report. Besides Abby's sinus' doing so very well, my son and I are ten times better and my husband quit snoring the very day it was installed!! We are outdoors people so the only thing I can think of is the great benefit we get while we are sleeping. But I would not trade for my whole house HEPA filter!! We have the IQ air perfect 16 which is installed on the A/C unit. It was a bit pricey but for us it was worth every penny!! We paid $3,000 which covered the unit, filters, and installation.

cabadie1

Thanks everyone for the info. i think the dipsticks is a great idea for the pool. I am also going to look into the IQ air perfect 16. I wonder if there is any assistance for it available. Anyone know?

Aboveallislove

Super Moderator
Right after ds's diagnosis we had our furnace replaced with one with hepa and ultraviolet lights. No way to know if it helped, but I'd think so given he hasn't had a cold, flu, sinus issue in 3 years and that his coughing is definitely higher on days when we are outside. At the time there were some tax breaks so we ended up getting a "rebate" from the State and a deduction from the feds, if I remember right. Not sure if still available, but a furnance company should know b/c it helps them make the sale!

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I started with air filtration in the mid '70s by building a filter wall. I was attempting to mitigate ammonia fumes wafting from a small commercial blueprint machine. The machine had an adequate filter but volumes of fumes came from the finished prints making an entire floor of our office building uninhabitable. The filter wall was the last of several failed attempts beginning with a commercial filter. Fast forward ten years and we bought thee Honeywell Environcaire HEPA filter units for our house. A two filter system, a HEPA filter resembling an oversized ring style engine intake filter and an activated charcoal wrap around pad that covered the outer ring of the HEPA. They sit typically on the floor and a fan draws air in through the pad and HEPA, out into the room. This style is efficient and adequate for anybodies lungs. By definition HEPA appliances filter 100% of microbes including viruses.

I had to put filters to the ultimate test in 1999. I designed, built and patented a robotic chromosome dissection system. Any DNA floating into the system could contaminate a tiny piece of a chromosome. Periodically I sampled the surfaces and air. In a years time of continuous operation, it was clean. When you are selecting a product, you want to look at the noise level when operating. My Honeywell units were great on low but the two higher settings had to be shouted over. Check the availability and cost of the filters. If they have it patented they could be almost as expensive as the whole unit. HEPA filters are replaced either yearly or two years. The carbon wrap varies from 3 months to 6 months. If Honeywell still makes Environcaire units, take a look at them as a jumping off point. Sears may carry them. Systems can get expensive fast. I found features to be worthless. Currently I have a FilterQueen Defender on low, right by my bed. It is raised, placed on top of a dead Environcaire. This is neither an endorsement nor indictment. For the value I liked the Environcaire, the FilterQueen is great but I didn't catch, there's always a catch, was the purchasing schedule for the filters must be kept in order to keep the lifetme warranty in effect.

If you have forced air HVAC, consider the electrostatic filter and UV units. I have them and they are good with AC but less so heating. I developed a total efficiency UV sterilizer for National Jewish about 30 years ago. It took an extra power hookup to the building to drive the powerful UV lamps. Although I still bought a house unit, by looking, my guess is it only catches a fraction of microbes.

If you still need more, please PM me.

imported_Momto2

I only notice a HEPA really helping me if its a slightly dusty or dirty environment to begin with. I have noticed that our forced AC (which we change the electrostatic filter on every month) makes me a bit congested. If I just have a regular window AC unit in our bedroom, I am much less stuffy in the AM.