Air Trapping in Lungs?

mommy2bcw2

Hi There~

I am wondering if i should be extremly worried or not?? At our last cf clinic appt. the xray showed air trapping in my 2 1/2 year olds lungs? She has been pale and stuffy (no cough) hence - why we went to the clinic. The doctor's comment was "i am concerned but not worried yet" She is now on Rhinocort and Zyrtec b/c he thinks the stuffiness is due to allergies? She is still very pale and ashen looking, but her stuffiness is gone. She is also on TOBI for a month then we go back to the clinic.
Is this normal w/cf- meaning will it come and go or is this a sign of something worse?? Brinly had a rough first year but for the past year 1/2 has been extremly healthy. I am wanting to know what causes air trapping and have any of you had this happen- what will help her? She is not struggling for air she is just very pale in the face?

any advice or stories are appreciated as always!
Blythe
mom to Birgess 5 no cf, Brinly 2 1/2 w cf and Blakelyn 4months no cf

mommy2bcw2

Hi There~

I am wondering if i should be extremly worried or not?? At our last cf clinic appt. the xray showed air trapping in my 2 1/2 year olds lungs? She has been pale and stuffy (no cough) hence - why we went to the clinic. The doctor's comment was "i am concerned but not worried yet" She is now on Rhinocort and Zyrtec b/c he thinks the stuffiness is due to allergies? She is still very pale and ashen looking, but her stuffiness is gone. She is also on TOBI for a month then we go back to the clinic.
Is this normal w/cf- meaning will it come and go or is this a sign of something worse?? Brinly had a rough first year but for the past year 1/2 has been extremly healthy. I am wanting to know what causes air trapping and have any of you had this happen- what will help her? She is not struggling for air she is just very pale in the face?

Blythe

mommy2bcw2

Hi There~

Blythe

S

sdelorenzo

Blythe -
My daughter's recent x-ray showed gas trappings as well. There were also a few others things (lower than normal diaghram and broad chest wall). The doctor said these all can be a sign of asthma. All of this improved with a month of Flovent 110, increasing her hypertonic saline to twice a day and also a month of oral antibotics. She also showed at the time of the x-ray some extra mucus in her lungs that might be why she was on antibotics and not for the gas trappings. Up until now Sophia has had very few lung issues, having been on oral antibotics once in the past four years. Her doctor is concerned about what he said is the progress of recent lung disease for her. He did explain what caused the air trappings, I am just having a hard time remembering what he said. Sophia's weight has also dropped since she started having these lungs issues in the past few months, so overall we are concerned.

We took her to Minnesota recently to see Dr. Warwick for another opinion. He said that Sophia was using the Respirtech vest at too low of a pressure setting since she got the vest in August. She was using 50% and she needs around 90%. He said her lung problems should improve now. We will see when she gets another
x-ray next month.

Hope both of the girls x-rays look better!
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 5 and Jack, 3 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

Blythe -
My daughter's recent x-ray showed gas trappings as well. There were also a few others things (lower than normal diaghram and broad chest wall). The doctor said these all can be a sign of asthma. All of this improved with a month of Flovent 110, increasing her hypertonic saline to twice a day and also a month of oral antibotics. She also showed at the time of the x-ray some extra mucus in her lungs that might be why she was on antibotics and not for the gas trappings. Up until now Sophia has had very few lung issues, having been on oral antibotics once in the past four years. Her doctor is concerned about what he said is the progress of recent lung disease for her. He did explain what caused the air trappings, I am just having a hard time remembering what he said. Sophia's weight has also dropped since she started having these lungs issues in the past few months, so overall we are concerned.

We took her to Minnesota recently to see Dr. Warwick for another opinion. He said that Sophia was using the Respirtech vest at too low of a pressure setting since she got the vest in August. She was using 50% and she needs around 90%. He said her lung problems should improve now. We will see when she gets another
x-ray next month.

S

sdelorenzo

Blythe -

x-ray next month.

mommy2bcw2

Sharon-
Thank you for your reply! Brinly has turned out to be anemic on top of her air trapping (reason for her pale face) and we added iron supplement to her diet. We just finished TOBI and go to the clinic again in 2 weeks. Why did you feel the need to get a second opinion???? I really am worried about lung disease progression. And am trying to do research on where else to go for another opinion too! We are in Dallas and we have been to the clinic in Houston too?
I hope Sophia is doing better-- please keep me posted!

Blythe

mommy2bcw2

Sharon-
Thank you for your reply! Brinly has turned out to be anemic on top of her air trapping (reason for her pale face) and we added iron supplement to her diet. We just finished TOBI and go to the clinic again in 2 weeks. Why did you feel the need to get a second opinion???? I really am worried about lung disease progression. And am trying to do research on where else to go for another opinion too! We are in Dallas and we have been to the clinic in Houston too?

Blythe

mommy2bcw2

Sharon-

Blythe