Airway clearance from exercise

justdance

<P>Hi,</P>
<P> </P>
<P>I have noticed this for a while now; say I do a really vigorous exercise session in the morning I will cough and get good clearance during and after the session. Sometimes it's only little bits. </P>
<P>However, a few hours later I notice I'm bringing up more! It's like the effects settle down straight after exercisingand then later on all the loosened stuff wants to get out. It's caught me off guard from time to time. It's great if I'm at home cos I'll just grab my flutter and have a great clear out. But if I'm out and about I feel it's a waste cos I don't really get to clear.</P>
<P>It happens mostly with spinning classes (which i'm addicted to). Maybe cos they're not as heavy with physical impact as say a running session?</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Does anyone else notice this?</P>

justdance

<P>Hi,</P>
<P></P>
<P>I have noticed this for a while now; say I do a really vigorous exercise session in the morning I will cough and get good clearance during and after the session. Sometimes it's only little bits. </P>
<P>However, a few hours later I notice I'm bringing up more! It's like the effects settle down straight after exercisingand then later on all the loosened stuff wants to get out. It's caught me off guard from time to time. It's great if I'm at home cos I'll just grab my flutter and have a great clear out. But if I'm out and about I feel it's a waste cos I don't really get to clear.</P>
<P>It happens mostly with spinning classes (which i'm addicted to). Maybe cos they're not as heavy with physical impact as say a running session?</P>
<P></P>
<P>Doesanyone else notice this?</P>

justdance

<P>Hi,</P>
<P></P>
<P></P>
<P>Doesanyone else notice this?<BR></P>

tesorotiffa

I definitely notice a delayed reaction with mucus and exercise! When I'm out running/walking/kickboxing, I'll do a little huff coughing to clear the mucus, but it's nothing major. Usually by the time I get home and settle in, my cough will become much more productive! Sometimes when I'm out walking or running I will cough up a ton of stuff. I guess that just means I had more sittin up to ready to get out! LOL

I've also started to walk on my lunch break with a coworker. We go to the park and do 2 miles. Well I've noticed that days I don't exercise, I'll wake up in the middle of the night and need to do a Vest treatment. The days I've exercised, I don't have this problem!

tesorotiffa

I definitely notice a delayed reaction with mucus and exercise! When I'm out running/walking/kickboxing, I'll do a little huff coughing to clear the mucus, but it's nothing major. Usually by the time I get home and settle in, my cough will become much more productive! Sometimes when I'm out walking or running I will cough up a ton of stuff. I guess that just means I had more sittin up to ready to get out! LOL

I've also started to walk on my lunch break with a coworker. We go to the park and do 2 miles. Well I've noticed that days I don't exercise, I'll wake up in the middle of the night and need to do a Vest treatment. The days I've exercised, I don't have this problem!

tesorotiffa

<br />
<br />I've also started to walk on my lunch break with a coworker. We go to the park and do 2 miles. Well I've noticed that days I don't exercise, I'll wake up in the middle of the night and need to do a Vest treatment. The days I've exercised, I don't have this problem!

static

<P>I think its because when you are exercising your body is so focused on taking air in and out you kind of have to supress your cough until everything calms down a bit. </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Of course there are times for me when it is just so much it comes out right then, expecially when I haven't exercised for a while,  but for the most part I get up most of my mucus after exercise.  </P>
<P> </P>
<P>If you add in a hypertonic saline treatment right after it really helps too, since the mucus is already shaken up from you aerobics.</P>

static

<P>I think its because when you are exercising your body is so focused on taking air in and out you kind of have to supress your cough until everything calms down a bit. </P>
<P></P>
<P>Of course there are times for me when it is just so much it comes out right then, expecially when I haven't exercised for a while, but for the most part I get up most of my mucus after exercise. </P>
<P></P>
<P>If you add in a hypertonic saline treatment right after it really helps too, since the mucus is already shaken up from you aerobics.</P>

static

<P></P>
<P>Of course there are times for me when it is just so much it comes out right then, expecially when I haven't exercised for a while, but for the most part I get up most of my mucus after exercise. </P>
<P></P>

rubyroselee

I usually do not cough during exercise, it's afterwards when it hits me. If I do hard-core exercise, I usually have huge cough attacks when I get settled down. I think static had a good point that during exercise you are more focused on the exercise and the adrenaline is pumping, which suppresses the cough. I will also cough for several more hours afterwards too, which is why I tend to exercise in the morning rather than at night.

rubyroselee

I usually do not cough during exercise, it's afterwards when it hits me. If I do hard-core exercise, I usually have huge cough attacks when I get settled down. I think static had a good point that during exercise you are more focused on the exercise and the adrenaline is pumping, which suppresses the cough. I will also cough for several more hours afterwards too, which is why I tend to exercise in the morning rather than at night.

rubyroselee

jmiller

Same for me -- I run first thing in the morning (with two boys and a dog- yikes) and I don't have much stuff right after... usually late morning I will bring up the "good stuff". I always picture the mucus slowly working it's way out of my small airways. When I'm huffing and puffing on a run I imagine that I am using many more of my small airways than when I'm just sitting and breathing normally. So after those airways have been opened and closed during exercise, the little silia (sp?) start working to get it up and out... and since it has a long ways to go it takes a while. ... just my theory.

jmiller

Same for me -- I run first thing in the morning (with two boys and a dog- yikes) and I don't have much stuff right after... usually late morning I will bring up the "good stuff". I always picture the mucus slowly working it's way out of my small airways. When I'm huffing and puffing on a run I imagine that I am using many more of my small airways than when I'm just sitting and breathing normally. So after those airways have been opened and closed during exercise, the little silia (sp?) start working to get it up and out... and since it has a long ways to go it takes a while. ... just my theory.

jmiller

Havoc

Interesting thread. One possible theory (and this is stretching it) is that when you exercise endorphines are released. Endorphine stands for endogenous morphine, your body naturally makes pain killers. Anyway, morphine and drugs like it (codeine, which has an active metabolite of morphine), have a tendency to be a cough suppressant. So, one could infer that during exercise endorphines are released, suppressing the cough and as they wear off the cough returns and you are able to expel mucus.

That being said, I think a good exercise trumps any other form of airway clearance.

Havoc

Interesting thread. One possible theory (and this is stretching it) is that when you exercise endorphines are released. Endorphine stands for endogenous morphine, your body naturally makes pain killers. Anyway, morphine and drugs like it (codeine, which has an active metabolite of morphine), have a tendency to be a cough suppressant. So, one could infer that during exercise endorphines are released, suppressing the cough and as they wear off the cough returns and you are able to expel mucus.

That being said, I think a good exercise trumps any other form of airway clearance.