Algae Produces Novel Cystic Fibrosis Drug

Faust

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>LouLou</b></i>

Blue Turtle, In fact most drugs are recreating something that occurs somewhere already in nature. My husband is a PhD organic research chemist in big pharma drug development. Almost everything in nature is tested in the lab to see if it has potential for illness treatment. Then once they find something that works, the big job is to create it synthetically in the lab. It has to be recreated because often the material is from a very rare source and would be expensive and unethical to harvest. Once they create it in the lab it is usually too many steps and thus too much expensive material. The job of the chemist is to figure out how to get to the end point in few steps.</end quote></div>

Which is just another large reason why slash and burning lush tropical rain forests is beyond stupid. The diverse amount of flora based compounds in them could cure tons of our serious health problems, but we will never know if they were there or not.

Faust

Blue Turtle, In fact most drugs are recreating something that occurs somewhere already in nature. My husband is a PhD organic research chemist in big pharma drug development. Almost everything in nature is tested in the lab to see if it has potential for illness treatment. Then once they find something that works, the big job is to create it synthetically in the lab. It has to be recreated because often the material is from a very rare source and would be expensive and unethical to harvest. Once they create it in the lab it is usually too many steps and thus too much expensive material. The job of the chemist is to figure out how to get to the end point in few steps.</end quote></div>

Which is just another large reason why slash and burning lush tropical rain forests is beyond stupid. The diverse amount of flora based compounds in them could cure tons of our serious health problems, but we will never know if they were there or not.

Faust

Faust

Blue Turtle, In fact most drugs are recreating something that occurs somewhere already in nature. My husband is a PhD organic research chemist in big pharma drug development. Almost everything in nature is tested in the lab to see if it has potential for illness treatment. Then once they find something that works, the big job is to create it synthetically in the lab. It has to be recreated because often the material is from a very rare source and would be expensive and unethical to harvest. Once they create it in the lab it is usually too many steps and thus too much expensive material. The job of the chemist is to figure out how to get to the end point in few steps.</end quote>

Faust

Blue Turtle, In fact most drugs are recreating something that occurs somewhere already in nature. My husband is a PhD organic research chemist in big pharma drug development. Almost everything in nature is tested in the lab to see if it has potential for illness treatment. Then once they find something that works, the big job is to create it synthetically in the lab. It has to be recreated because often the material is from a very rare source and would be expensive and unethical to harvest. Once they create it in the lab it is usually too many steps and thus too much expensive material. The job of the chemist is to figure out how to get to the end point in few steps.</end quote>