Allergies kicking off infection

CFkitty

Anyone have experience with allergies kicking infections into high gear?
I take Flonase and Zyrtec for my allergies (I've also tried all the other chronic allergy meds - Claritin, Allegra, etc. - but Zyrtec works best), and use saline rinses. I just restarted taking them within the past two weeks due to poor air quality thanks to little rain for months. I get a lot of sinus congestion and drainage in the back of my throat, and during sleep, it accumulates.
In the mornings, I do my airway clearance and try to get out all the stuff that's sitting in the back of my throat - my airway clearance is really efficient. But whenever I have these drippy allergies, within a week, one or more of my infections start to flare up. I'm pretty sure it's because of the increased mucous giving the bacteria a moist, warm place to grow, but it's almost impossible to stop this cycle.
The symtoms <em>feel</em> a bit worse now than before I had my sinus surgery (Ethmoidectom, Removal of middle turbinates, Removal of inferior turbinates, Septoplasty, and Polypectomy), because everything is so opened up now and the stuff can actually get out. I've used antihistamines (Benadryl), mucous thinners (Mucinex), Afrin (sparingly), but they don't work 24/7.
Does anyone have any hints on how to prevent allergy drainage from inviting the bacteria to multiply, other than increasing airway clearance?

CFkitty

Anyone have experience with allergies kicking infections into high gear?
I take Flonase and Zyrtec for my allergies (I've also tried all the other chronic allergy meds - Claritin, Allegra, etc. - but Zyrtec works best), and use saline rinses. I just restarted taking them within the past two weeks due to poor air quality thanks to little rain for months. I get a lot of sinus congestion and drainage in the back of my throat, and during sleep, it accumulates.
In the mornings, I do my airway clearance and try to get out all the stuff that's sitting in the back of my throat - my airway clearance is really efficient. But whenever I have these drippy allergies, within a week, one or more of my infections start to flare up. I'm pretty sure it's because of the increased mucous giving the bacteria a moist, warm place to grow, but it's almost impossible to stop this cycle.
The symtoms <em>feel</em> a bit worse now than before I had my sinus surgery (Ethmoidectom, Removal of middle turbinates, Removal of inferior turbinates, Septoplasty, and Polypectomy), because everything is so opened up now and the stuff can actually get out. I've used antihistamines (Benadryl), mucous thinners (Mucinex), Afrin (sparingly), but they don't work 24/7.
Does anyone have any hints on how to prevent allergy drainage from inviting the bacteria to multiply, other than increasing airway clearance?

K

kgfrompa

I am on Singular, flonase,And doing allergy shots still brewing something in my lungs due to allergys!I had been coughing for days before I called the the Doctor and they put me on benzonatate stopped my coughing and the drip from my allergys I am now on three antibitics because i have a infection form what ever is blooming in North west PA.Hope this passes soon .

K

kgfrompa

I am on Singular, flonase,And doing allergy shots still brewing something in my lungs due to allergys!I had been coughing for days before I called the the Doctor and they put me on benzonatate stopped my coughing and the drip from my allergys I am now on three antibitics because i have a infection form what ever is blooming in North west PA.Hope this passes soon .

bigstar

I think i have too. I ve had trouble breathing because my nose was all stuffed up. I tried Aerius and its kinda working. But i think i cough more and more those days and i seem to start loosing my appetite (very bad sign for me). My doctor put me on Cipro today but im having second thoughts. Should i take it now or wait till i need it more- you know those periods when you try to avoid IVs. Anyways allergies seem to make our say harder and harder.

bigstar

I think i have too. I ve had trouble breathing because my nose was all stuffed up. I tried Aerius and its kinda working. But i think i cough more and more those days and i seem to start loosing my appetite (very bad sign for me). My doctor put me on Cipro today but im having second thoughts. Should i take it now or wait till i need it more- you know those periods when you try to avoid IVs. Anyways allergies seem to make our say harder and harder.

Kristen

I added Alkalol to my sinus rinses and that has helped a lot. Also, my ENT has me dissolve 4 singulair tablets in a saline nasal spray bottle and use that twice a day. But, I still get allergy-triggered sinus infections. Now I'm trying allergy shots, but it's only been 3 months, so it's too soon for me to tell if they work.

Kristen

I added Alkalol to my sinus rinses and that has helped a lot. Also, my ENT has me dissolve 4 singulair tablets in a saline nasal spray bottle and use that twice a day. But, I still get allergy-triggered sinus infections. Now I'm trying allergy shots, but it's only been 3 months, so it's too soon for me to tell if they work.

saveferris2009

"Treating allergies when you have CF can dramatically improve lung function. Allergies cause inflammation in the lungs - and as you know, as CFers, we already deal with so much inflammation to begin with. So heading allergies off at the pass is essential to good health."

http://noexcusesnoexcuses.blogspot.com/2008/08/allergies.html

saveferris2009

"Treating allergies when you have CF can dramatically improve lung function. Allergies cause inflammation in the lungs - and as you know, as CFers, we already deal with so much inflammation to begin with. So heading allergies off at the pass is essential to good health."

http://noexcusesnoexcuses.blogspot.com/2008/08/allergies.html

imported_Momto2

CFkitty- if you can solve that CF dilemma, you'll be a billionaire! I have a heck of a time getting my allergies under control. The sinus drainage into my lungs is constant. I spend all day hacking out the crap that drained into my lungs during the night. The only thing that seems to improve it is getting up every 2 hours or so and doing a nebbie. But as I'm sure you know, that sucks for sleep. I've had many sinus surgeries, but they only help for a few weeks or so. Then its back to same old. THe most effective meds for me (similar to you) dont work more than about 4-6 hours.

imported_Momto2

CFkitty- if you can solve that CF dilemma, you'll be a billionaire! I have a heck of a time getting my allergies under control. The sinus drainage into my lungs is constant. I spend all day hacking out the crap that drained into my lungs during the night. The only thing that seems to improve it is getting up every 2 hours or so and doing a nebbie. But as I'm sure you know, that sucks for sleep. I've had many sinus surgeries, but they only help for a few weeks or so. Then its back to same old. THe most effective meds for me (similar to you) dont work more than about 4-6 hours.

S

SassyGirl13

I have many allergy problems as well. I had my sinuses operated on for a second time about 4 years ago and found that the nasal rinse (I use distilled water and hypertonic saline packets) have helped immensely. I also take Xyzal, Singulair and Sudafed regularly which helps with the post nasal drip. That's what was causing my infections. Do you see an ENT regularly? I work with one in the CF hospital who works with many CF patients and is very helpful and knowledgeable.

S

SassyGirl13

I have many allergy problems as well. I had my sinuses operated on for a second time about 4 years ago and found that the nasal rinse (I use distilled water and hypertonic saline packets) have helped immensely. I also take Xyzal, Singulair and Sudafed regularly which helps with the post nasal drip. That's what was causing my infections. Do you see an ENT regularly? I work with one in the CF hospital who works with many CF patients and is very helpful and knowledgeable.