Allergy attack when I drink wine--HELP!!!

W

welshwitch

This is so frustrating because wine (red and white) are some of my favorite things on the planet. In the past couple of years, I have noticed that I get allergy symptoms (and by default CF symptoms) when I drink SOME types of red and white. Is it the sulfites? It's worse when I drink *cheap* wine. How can I enjoy my favorite wines without wheezing my head off?

Vaultboy

Wine has a lot of histamines, which can cause allergic reactions. If you dont want to give up wine you can get anti-histamine pills in your drug store. (problably you need a prescription, i dont know where you live). That should help you, however those pills can have some sideeffects to, like making you sleepy.. Cheers;)

W

welshwitch

Thanks Vaultboy! Are there any wines that have no histamines? Or a lower amount? :)

Vaultboy

hi welshwitch. histamin is a normal product that results from the maturation of the wine. as this is a natural process the amount of histamine in different wines does vary pretty much. unfortunatly a cant tell you much more. i also heard that there are some producers that found a way to produce wine without histamines because more an more people are found to be intolerant against histamin. BUT i think those are very few and im not shure if that wine tastes good. id say play around with google or maybe ask in a decent wine shop.

hope you find yourself a nice little wine that you can drink.:)

mariakom

I have also recently appeared allergic to wine. it is very unpleasant. last time only 50 grams drank red wine, and it was so bad that could not hope to survive until morning :).
Antihistamines helped, all the symptoms quickly passed. but the more I do not dare :). Now choose a delicious herbal infusions (balsames) :).

W

welshwitch

Thanks all. Just another symptom of old age (33 next month!) :)

Julie7

I stopped at a wine store a few weeks ago and told the store owner that I like old vine Zinfandels but that they give me headaches from one glass. He said it was the sulfites and they sell this liquid to get rid of the sulfite preservative after you open it. Not sure about pouring some liquid into wine to rid sulfites, but just mention for the heck of it.