Am I overreacting?

CJPsMom

I picked up our little CFer yesterday from our childcare provider (a family member). When I got there, our little guy was drinking out of one of the other kids cups. I grabbed it from him. I didn't really say anything because it gets tricky because it's family.
I was pretty upset about this and continue to be.
Am I overreacting? Our caretaker has been with us to clinic, knows what we've been through and I know she loves little one dearly.
I just worry about his health...I don't let him drink after me, let alone another small child.

CJPsMom

I picked up our little CFer yesterday from our childcare provider (a family member). When I got there, our little guy was drinking out of one of the other kids cups. I grabbed it from him. I didn't really say anything because it gets tricky because it's family.
I was pretty upset about this and continue to be.
Am I overreacting? Our caretaker has been with us to clinic, knows what we've been through and I know she loves little one dearly.
I just worry about his health...I don't let him drink after me, let alone another small child.

Printer

In a prefect world (and this world is not perfect) how much do you honestly believe that you can protect your son?
He will fall down. He will be pushed down. He will be hit by others. He will hit others. He will share a cookie with a friend. Yes even share a drink with a friend using one cup.

Bill

Printer

In a prefect world (and this world is not perfect) how much do you honestly believe that you can protect your son?
He will fall down. He will be pushed down. He will be hit by others. He will hit others. He will share a cookie with a friend. Yes even share a drink with a friend using one cup.

Bill

CJPsMom

Bill - not as much as I'd like - which is why I try to head of the things I can control (at least to some degree) and not worry about the rest!

CJPsMom

Bill - not as much as I'd like - which is why I try to head of the things I can control (at least to some degree) and not worry about the rest!

CJPsMom

CJPsMom

scrapper1264

I don't think you are overreacting at all. I was a germophobe before finding out that my DS had CF, so you can just imagine how I am now!! I have worked with toddlers at church and they can quickly put another kid's cup in their mouth before you can catch it. To prevent this as much as possible we would let the toddlers drink only during snack time instead of letting them hang onto their cups. Maybe you could suggest that to your provider?

scrapper1264

I don't think you are overreacting at all. I was a germophobe before finding out that my DS had CF, so you can just imagine how I am now!! I have worked with toddlers at church and they can quickly put another kid's cup in their mouth before you can catch it. To prevent this as much as possible we would let the toddlers drink only during snack time instead of letting them hang onto their cups. Maybe you could suggest that to your provider?

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Talk to you child care provider that you don't want your child drinking anyone's cup but his own. I remember when my daughter was a toddler this happened during playdates. I would just keep the cup up high out of reach so it won't be a problem. To be honest, I was concerned cause my daughter had cultured pretty nasty bacteria from a young age; I would not want anyone's else's child drinking from my child's cup.

I have an awful story; (this was 5 years ago) one time I was walking with my daughter and her friend and the friends mom. We were at a playground area. The girls had gone ahead of us; enjoying their freedom..The mom and I were chatting. We look up and my daughter has a purple plastic thing in her mouth she picked up off the ground, pretending it was a musical instrument or something. You know what it was? A Plastic Tampon applicator!!!!!!!I about died. THe other mom looked at me and said Oh my, you need to lysol her mouth!!! My daughter survived; if it makes you feel any better, but I think that other mom was really freaked out. And I did not Lysol her mouth. Oy.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Talk to you child care provider that you don't want your child drinking anyone's cup but his own. I remember when my daughter was a toddler this happened during playdates. I would just keep the cup up high out of reach so it won't be a problem. To be honest, I was concerned cause my daughter had cultured pretty nasty bacteria from a young age; I would not want anyone's else's child drinking from my child's cup.

I have an awful story; (this was 5 years ago) one time I was walking with my daughter and her friend and the friends mom. We were at a playground area. The girls had gone ahead of us; enjoying their freedom..The mom and I were chatting. We look up and my daughter has a purple plastic thing in her mouth she picked up off the ground, pretending it was a musical instrument or something. You know what it was? A Plastic Tampon applicator!!!!!!!I about died. THe other mom looked at me and said Oh my, you need to lysol her mouth!!! My daughter survived; if it makes you feel any better, but I think that other mom was really freaked out. And I did not Lysol her mouth. Oy.

imported_Momto2

Umm, if any other kiddo is sick at the childcare, your kid is going to be exposed whether you like it or not. Children are NOT sanitary creatures, not matter how hard you try. They wipe their drippy noses with their hands, slobber on the toys, etc. And that assuming they DONT stick their hands down their pants and then go handle or lick all the snack! Its just how life is. What I would be concerned about is contacting any of the Heps, but I assume your kid is vaccinated? Other stuff, like HIV, I would think the childcare provider would know about. I know you dont like the exposure, but you cant keep them in a bubble forever. You can mention it to the provider, but she cant watch every child every single second. It just doesnt work that way. (However, kids shouldnt be walking around with a sippy anyhow, bad for their teeth and their nutrition.)

If my husband and kids appear healthy, I do drink before or after them, or share food. Heck, I kiss and hug, and pick them up all the time. We simply share germs, thankfully they dont catch the nastier ones that I might have. I used to try and reduce contact when they were really sick, but it never works. In the long term, I always get it.

I think the best you can do is boost your childs immune system with lots of healthy foods, make sure they get enough sleep, be proactive with the meds. Life has to happen.

imported_Momto2

Umm, if any other kiddo is sick at the childcare, your kid is going to be exposed whether you like it or not. Children are NOT sanitary creatures, not matter how hard you try. They wipe their drippy noses with their hands, slobber on the toys, etc. And that assuming they DONT stick their hands down their pants and then go handle or lick all the snack! Its just how life is. What I would be concerned about is contacting any of the Heps, but I assume your kid is vaccinated? Other stuff, like HIV, I would think the childcare provider would know about. I know you dont like the exposure, but you cant keep them in a bubble forever. You can mention it to the provider, but she cant watch every child every single second. It just doesnt work that way. (However, kids shouldnt be walking around with a sippy anyhow, bad for their teeth and their nutrition.)

If my husband and kids appear healthy, I do drink before or after them, or share food. Heck, I kiss and hug, and pick them up all the time. We simply share germs, thankfully they dont catch the nastier ones that I might have. I used to try and reduce contact when they were really sick, but it never works. In the long term, I always get it.

I think the best you can do is boost your childs immune system with lots of healthy foods, make sure they get enough sleep, be proactive with the meds. Life has to happen.

dbsholes

The best thing my parents did for me was treat me like a normal kid. When I was diagnosed at 8mos and they were told that I'd likely be dead by age 5 my parents held a family meeting with my three older siblings. There, they decided to continue doing all the things they loved to do - ski, hike, backpack, canoe, bike ride, etc. They said "okay, he may not have a long life but at least he'll have a GOOD life". I drank out of the gutters just like the other kids in the neighborhood, got all the normal childhood illnesses, and generally had a pretty normal childhood (other than daily nebulizers and posteral drainage).

On the other side I have watched cf families go through life in a state of constant fear - reacting to everything with the response you had to the minor incident you've described.

I'm 45 now and I know that growing up in Colorado in that active and fun family played a major role in my long-term health. On the other hand.... guess which kids are gone?

I'm just sayin'.

David Sholes
Bennington, Vermont

DDF508, CFRD, etc etc.

dbsholes

The best thing my parents did for me was treat me like a normal kid. When I was diagnosed at 8mos and they were told that I'd likely be dead by age 5 my parents held a family meeting with my three older siblings. There, they decided to continue doing all the things they loved to do - ski, hike, backpack, canoe, bike ride, etc. They said "okay, he may not have a long life but at least he'll have a GOOD life". I drank out of the gutters just like the other kids in the neighborhood, got all the normal childhood illnesses, and generally had a pretty normal childhood (other than daily nebulizers and posteral drainage).

On the other side I have watched cf families go through life in a state of constant fear - reacting to everything with the response you had to the minor incident you've described.

I'm 45 now and I know that growing up in Colorado in that active and fun family played a major role in my long-term health. On the other hand.... guess which kids are gone?

I'm just sayin'.

David Sholes
Bennington, Vermont

DDF508, CFRD, etc etc.

R

rainsmom

you might approach it from the standpoint that your toddler is picking up a habit of wanting to drink after other people (with no indication that the caregiver has anything to do with this new habit lol) and ask them to help you with it. I realize that they will do these things on occasion but if you all work together you can limit it, and it has a whole lot to do with your state of mind lol If you are like me you probably worry about every decision you make in the care of your little cfer and if by keeping them from sharing a drink helps with you peace of mind then i say talk to the caregiver. People who are not a parent of a cfer have no idea how it weighs on your mind at all times. I have the best family in the world who would do anything for my daughter or me but small things they still dont pick up on and she is 16 lol good luck

R

rainsmom

you might approach it from the standpoint that your toddler is picking up a habit of wanting to drink after other people (with no indication that the caregiver has anything to do with this new habit lol) and ask them to help you with it. I realize that they will do these things on occasion but if you all work together you can limit it, and it has a whole lot to do with your state of mind lol If you are like me you probably worry about every decision you make in the care of your little cfer and if by keeping them from sharing a drink helps with you peace of mind then i say talk to the caregiver. People who are not a parent of a cfer have no idea how it weighs on your mind at all times. I have the best family in the world who would do anything for my daughter or me but small things they still dont pick up on and she is 16 lol good luck