Amikacin Shortage

T

TonyaH

<P>Am I the only person having trouble getting their hands on amikacin right now?  We went through this last fall when we needed IV amikacin for Andrew's mycobacterium abcessus.  Now, we are finishing up 8 weeks of IV meropenum and nebbed amikacin and I'm having trouble finding it again!  </P>
<P> </P>
<P>I don't get it.  It's not an expensive drug to make.  Why can't the manufacturers keep it in stock?  Maybe because it is so inexpensive they give priority to making the drugs that earn them the big bucks...... OR-- maybe because mycobacterium abcessus is becoming more prevalent and amikacin is higher in demand as one of the go-to drugs for NTMs? ...What do you think?</P>
<P> </P>
<P>Very frustrating!!</P>

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
Sorry for your troubles, we are going through this with Creon.  In our case it sounds like the pharmacy's supplier is the one that has the shortage, and not the manufacturer.  Unfortunately, this is the only mail order pharmacy our insurance lets us use. <div><br></div><div>Maybe you can check around at different pharmacies if your insurance will allow it.  Hopefully we will both get our meds soon.  I sent in our refill in on August 1 and am still waiting!</div>

ej0820

where are you getting your amikacin from? I've been nebbing it for a month now for abscessus and I've had no problems getting refills from IV Solutions, in Texas. They're very helpful and very familiar with CF. Their website is simply ivsolutions.com. Hope this helps!