Anesthesia issues?

JustDucky

They have always had to give me more than the usual dose to put me under, novacaine included for the dentist (he is always giving me multiple doses of novacaine just to get through a drill and fill. Wears off so quickly!). I remember the time I had an endoscopy, they had to put massive amounts of Versed in me just to get me to relax enough so that I wouldn't bit the tube. I only recall bits and pieces of the procedure, but when I came to, the doc voiced his concern with giving me so much Versed. Havoc, very interesting.....I also find that I metabolize pain meds quickly. I am on Fentanyl patches for chronic pain, it says to change it every 72 hours, but I never make it that far, the patch has to be changed out at 48 hours. I am pretty sure that an elevated temp (I run low grade all of the time) has something to do with that, now perhaps there is another reason.

Jenn 40 wCF

JustDucky

They have always had to give me more than the usual dose to put me under, novacaine included for the dentist (he is always giving me multiple doses of novacaine just to get through a drill and fill. Wears off so quickly!). I remember the time I had an endoscopy, they had to put massive amounts of Versed in me just to get me to relax enough so that I wouldn't bit the tube. I only recall bits and pieces of the procedure, but when I came to, the doc voiced his concern with giving me so much Versed. Havoc, very interesting.....I also find that I metabolize pain meds quickly. I am on Fentanyl patches for chronic pain, it says to change it every 72 hours, but I never make it that far, the patch has to be changed out at 48 hours. I am pretty sure that an elevated temp (I run low grade all of the time) has something to do with that, now perhaps there is another reason.

Jenn 40 wCF

Incomudrox

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>saveferris2009</b></i> <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i> Yes, people with CF have enhanced metabolism on the P450 cytochrome.</end quote> FASCINATING. I have never heard this! Can you reference? Thanks again for this.... I had no idea about the P450 liver pathway.</end quote>

This is a pretty well known fact. This is why we can drink inexcess without much complications based on our weight we do a lot of things we sholdnt be able to do. This is the same reason ambien works only shortly for people with CF.
Also note that the CYP3A pathway is on the P450 Cytochrome as well and is also effected in turn we don't get the best bang for the buck with anything we consume that is metabolized by the liver.
This is why most CFers can drink soda after soda and then fall asleep because we are removing the caffine from the body so quickly. I usually always try to take something to inhibit the P450/CYP3A pathway to get the most effectiveness from my medications.
There is a running theory that the P450 has some relation to low vitamin D levels in CF patients as well.
One of the reasons Cirpo is usually the drug of choice for orals in CF is because it inhibits the P450 and is an antibiotic (obivouslly) so it is bound to be more effective as long as the bacteria are susceptible to it.

Incomudrox

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>saveferris2009</b></i> <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i> Yes, people with CF have enhanced metabolism on the P450 cytochrome.</end quote> FASCINATING. I have never heard this! Can you reference? Thanks again for this.... I had no idea about the P450 liver pathway.</end quote>

This is a pretty well known fact. This is why we can drink inexcess without much complications based on our weight we do a lot of things we sholdnt be able to do. This is the same reason ambien works only shortly for people with CF.
Also note that the CYP3A pathway is on the P450 Cytochrome as well and is also effected in turn we don't get the best bang for the buck with anything we consume that is metabolized by the liver.
This is why most CFers can drink soda after soda and then fall asleep because we are removing the caffine from the body so quickly. I usually always try to take something to inhibit the P450/CYP3A pathway to get the most effectiveness from my medications.
There is a running theory that the P450 has some relation to low vitamin D levels in CF patients as well.
One of the reasons Cirpo is usually the drug of choice for orals in CF is because it inhibits the P450 and is an antibiotic (obivouslly) so it is bound to be more effective as long as the bacteria are susceptible to it.

L

littlemisssilly

Our glomerular filtration rate is much quicker too (kidneys) so, we excerete substances at a much quicker rate. I've been told this one of the reasons we r precribed higher does of IVs etc, not just because of the nature of the bacteria we are fighting but also because we excrete the active substances at a faster rate.

Ditto on the anaesthesia issues ... I'm told each time at the dentist that I have received more than enough anaesthesia and that I shouldn't be feeling anything. Also, my epdural during childbirth was a horror story. They kept telling how much anesthesia I had received and one midwife started to tell me that pain is about 'perception' rather than the physical. Eventually, I was topped up enough that I had to be sitted up in the bed becasue I was told if they lowered the back rest any further the anaesthetic would travel up and paralyse my lungs. It sounds scary now but at the time I didn't care. I was up waking within 20 mins of giving birth despite having one leg still partially paralysed.

L

littlemisssilly

Our glomerular filtration rate is much quicker too (kidneys) so, we excerete substances at a much quicker rate. I've been told this one of the reasons we r precribed higher does of IVs etc, not just because of the nature of the bacteria we are fighting but also because we excrete the active substances at a faster rate.

Ditto on the anaesthesia issues ... I'm told each time at the dentist that I have received more than enough anaesthesia and that I shouldn't be feeling anything. Also, my epdural during childbirth was a horror story. They kept telling how much anesthesia I had received and one midwife started to tell me that pain is about 'perception' rather than the physical. Eventually, I was topped up enough that I had to be sitted up in the bed becasue I was told if they lowered the back rest any further the anaesthetic would travel up and paralyse my lungs. It sounds scary now but at the time I didn't care. I was up waking within 20 mins of giving birth despite having one leg still partially paralysed.

saveferris2009

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Incomudrox</b></i> <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>saveferris2009</b></i> <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i> Yes, people with CF have enhanced metabolism on the P450 cytochrome.</end quote> FASCINATING. I have never heard this! Can you reference? Thanks again for this.... I had no idea about the P450 liver pathway.</end quote> This is a pretty well known fact. This is why we can drink inexcess without much complications based on our weight we do a lot of things we sholdnt be able to do. This is the same reason ambien works only shortly for people with CF. Also note that the CYP3A pathway is on the P450 Cytochrome as well and is also effected in turn we don't get the best bang for the buck with anything we consume that is metabolized by the liver. This is why most CFers can drink soda after soda and then fall asleep because we are removing the caffine from the body so quickly. I usually always try to take something to inhibit the P450/CYP3A pathway to get the most effectiveness from my medications. There is a running theory that the P450 has some relation to low vitamin D levels in CF patients as well. One of the reasons Cirpo is usually the drug of choice for orals in CF is because it inhibits the P450 and is an antibiotic (obivouslly) so it is bound to be more effective as long as the bacteria are susceptible to it.</end quote>

Awesome - I had no idea. I can't drink very much BTW - I get messed up very quickly AND i get war paint on my face like my asian friends (i assume because i have zero digestive enzymes)

saveferris2009

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Incomudrox</b></i> <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>saveferris2009</b></i> <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Havoc</b></i> Yes, people with CF have enhanced metabolism on the P450 cytochrome.</end quote> FASCINATING. I have never heard this! Can you reference? Thanks again for this.... I had no idea about the P450 liver pathway.</end quote> This is a pretty well known fact. This is why we can drink inexcess without much complications based on our weight we do a lot of things we sholdnt be able to do. This is the same reason ambien works only shortly for people with CF. Also note that the CYP3A pathway is on the P450 Cytochrome as well and is also effected in turn we don't get the best bang for the buck with anything we consume that is metabolized by the liver. This is why most CFers can drink soda after soda and then fall asleep because we are removing the caffine from the body so quickly. I usually always try to take something to inhibit the P450/CYP3A pathway to get the most effectiveness from my medications. There is a running theory that the P450 has some relation to low vitamin D levels in CF patients as well. One of the reasons Cirpo is usually the drug of choice for orals in CF is because it inhibits the P450 and is an antibiotic (obivouslly) so it is bound to be more effective as long as the bacteria are susceptible to it.</end quote>

Awesome - I had no idea. I can't drink very much BTW - I get messed up very quickly AND i get war paint on my face like my asian friends (i assume because i have zero digestive enzymes)

Incomudrox

You may have a lower alcohol tolerance because of the green smoothies. Phytonutrients inhibit the P450 depending on which ones. My money is on that.

Incomudrox

You may have a lower alcohol tolerance because of the green smoothies. Phytonutrients inhibit the P450 depending on which ones. My money is on that.

mamaScarlett

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>saveferris2009</b></i>Although I always wake up frantically asking if I'm alive. Ha.</end quote>

Thats funny, I also do this. Or I ask if my husband is ok, are my children ok?!?! Or I cry. Everytime! I just tell them ahead of time so they know to expect it.
I woke up during a dental surgery. It was awful.

mamaScarlett

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>saveferris2009</b></i>Although I always wake up frantically asking if I'm alive. Ha.</end quote>

Thats funny, I also do this. Or I ask if my husband is ok, are my children ok?!?! Or I cry. Everytime! I just tell them ahead of time so they know to expect it.
I woke up during a dental surgery. It was awful.