Annual Review

Marksmom

Hi,
My son is 14 and we have been at this a long time. If posible, make sure that all the docs that need blood all order it at the same time. even the standard pediatrician check ups. My son also has Rheumatoid arthritis, so I contact his pulmonologist, rheumatologist and pediatrician and have them all order what they need for the year, and this is done at one time with one needle stick. It is alot easier to have it done and over once. Mark still does not like it, but I also started having my blood work done too, for example the cholesterol and stuff so we go together and I get to go first. He somehow gets a weird sense of enjoyment out of watching me get blood drawn... Hum...............

Marksmom

Hi,
My son is 14 and we have been at this a long time. If posible, make sure that all the docs that need blood all order it at the same time. even the standard pediatrician check ups. My son also has Rheumatoid arthritis, so I contact his pulmonologist, rheumatologist and pediatrician and have them all order what they need for the year, and this is done at one time with one needle stick. It is alot easier to have it done and over once. Mark still does not like it, but I also started having my blood work done too, for example the cholesterol and stuff so we go together and I get to go first. He somehow gets a weird sense of enjoyment out of watching me get blood drawn... Hum...............

Marksmom

Hi,

T

tammykrumrey

Both of my girls used to just scream so loud during blood drawns...it was horrible. But as they have gotten older, they seem to be fine. The difficult part is knowing that it's coming, once it happens they really are fine. I don't remember when it got better, at what age, but it just seemed to all of the sudden go smoother. My girls is coming up in February as well, and I just don't bring up the subject of all the test until we get there and they start asking. Actually my girls are more afraid of a tiny shot than that of getting their blood drawn.

I also do as Kathy does, make sure all blood draws are done at once. Even though the girls don't seem to get overly upset with them, I do not want them being pin cushions. When asked to be involved in clinical studies, my only request is that if there is any blood draws to be done, they are done during that visit and no more.

One of my friends always buys little gifts and wraps them up for the girls. She gives them to me to give them during their appt. It could be something like 'Mad libs' or 'my little ponies' or braclets or whatever. Nothing big or expensive, just something to let them know that she is thinking about them. It really won't help with any of the fear or pain that they may go through, but it is just makes them feel good.

T

tammykrumrey

Both of my girls used to just scream so loud during blood drawns...it was horrible. But as they have gotten older, they seem to be fine. The difficult part is knowing that it's coming, once it happens they really are fine. I don't remember when it got better, at what age, but it just seemed to all of the sudden go smoother. My girls is coming up in February as well, and I just don't bring up the subject of all the test until we get there and they start asking. Actually my girls are more afraid of a tiny shot than that of getting their blood drawn.

I also do as Kathy does, make sure all blood draws are done at once. Even though the girls don't seem to get overly upset with them, I do not want them being pin cushions. When asked to be involved in clinical studies, my only request is that if there is any blood draws to be done, they are done during that visit and no more.

One of my friends always buys little gifts and wraps them up for the girls. She gives them to me to give them during their appt. It could be something like 'Mad libs' or 'my little ponies' or braclets or whatever. Nothing big or expensive, just something to let them know that she is thinking about them. It really won't help with any of the fear or pain that they may go through, but it is just makes them feel good.

T

tammykrumrey