Antacid use?

A

Andrea

Ben (4 months)takes a prevacid each morning. He was violenlty vomiting about every two days. He actually would turn red and purple because he was choking. Our general care doctor prescribed prevacid not the cf doctor. My daughter without CF spit up a lot but she never needed to take anything. It's weird Ben is probably the cleanest baby when he eats (hardly ever spits up) but the vomit was horrible. Now that he is on the prevacid he still vomits occasionally but no where near as bad.

A

Andrea

Ben (4 months)takes a prevacid each morning. He was violenlty vomiting about every two days. He actually would turn red and purple because he was choking. Our general care doctor prescribed prevacid not the cf doctor. My daughter without CF spit up a lot but she never needed to take anything. It's weird Ben is probably the cleanest baby when he eats (hardly ever spits up) but the vomit was horrible. Now that he is on the prevacid he still vomits occasionally but no where near as bad.

A

Andrea

A

Andrea

A

Andrea

MicheleGazelle

A lot of people with CF take antacids. A number of people have told me that the antacids not only help their stomach problems but they help their lung problems too. This fits with my experience as well: when my stomach is too acid, I have more lung inflammation, more phlegm, and a rough cough.

You can treat excess acidity without drugs if you want. Diet and supplements and some simple home remedies can treat it, without drug side effects. I don't take antacids but I do go to work hard at keeping my acidity under control. It has helped me get off several prescription anti-inflammatory drugs. I no longer take any anti-inflammatory drugs, not even OTC ones. I would highly recommend that you learn more about controlling acidity in your child and work on treating it as early as you can. High dose ibuprofen treatments have been shown to reduce incidence of infection in pwcf because it helps control the inflammation. But acidity is the root cause of most inflammation. People with CF tend to be extremely acid. There are other studies which show that reducing this extreme acidity in pwcf can help combat infection, even infections as serious as PA.

I don't really recommend taking ant-acids. But if you don't know how to treat it using diet and the like, then taking ant-acids is far better than accepting the consequences of doing nothing about "hyperacidification" in pwcf. It is known to promote infection. In my experience, there is a much stronger relationship between gut health and lung health than most people seem to think. Keep her gut healthy and you will almost certainly see less lung damage in the long run. (But you can also cause problems if you make her stomach too alkaline because then she can't digest food properly. This is one of the reasons I am not thrilled with antacids. Alkaline foods and topical treatments for acidity won't cause this issue.)

Good luck.

MicheleGazelle

A lot of people with CF take antacids. A number of people have told me that the antacids not only help their stomach problems but they help their lung problems too. This fits with my experience as well: when my stomach is too acid, I have more lung inflammation, more phlegm, and a rough cough.

You can treat excess acidity without drugs if you want. Diet and supplements and some simple home remedies can treat it, without drug side effects. I don't take antacids but I do go to work hard at keeping my acidity under control. It has helped me get off several prescription anti-inflammatory drugs. I no longer take any anti-inflammatory drugs, not even OTC ones. I would highly recommend that you learn more about controlling acidity in your child and work on treating it as early as you can. High dose ibuprofen treatments have been shown to reduce incidence of infection in pwcf because it helps control the inflammation. But acidity is the root cause of most inflammation. People with CF tend to be extremely acid. There are other studies which show that reducing this extreme acidity in pwcf can help combat infection, even infections as serious as PA.

I don't really recommend taking ant-acids. But if you don't know how to treat it using diet and the like, then taking ant-acids is far better than accepting the consequences of doing nothing about "hyperacidification" in pwcf. It is known to promote infection. In my experience, there is a much stronger relationship between gut health and lung health than most people seem to think. Keep her gut healthy and you will almost certainly see less lung damage in the long run. (But you can also cause problems if you make her stomach too alkaline because then she can't digest food properly. This is one of the reasons I am not thrilled with antacids. Alkaline foods and topical treatments for acidity won't cause this issue.)

Good luck.

MicheleGazelle

Good luck.

MicheleGazelle

Good luck.

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />You can treat excess acidity without drugs if you want. Diet and supplements and some simple home remedies can treat it, without drug side effects. I don't take antacids but I do go to work hard at keeping my acidity under control. It has helped me get off several prescription anti-inflammatory drugs. I no longer take any anti-inflammatory drugs, not even OTC ones. I would highly recommend that you learn more about controlling acidity in your child and work on treating it as early as you can. High dose ibuprofen treatments have been shown to reduce incidence of infection in pwcf because it helps control the inflammation. But acidity is the root cause of most inflammation. People with CF tend to be extremely acid. There are other studies which show that reducing this extreme acidity in pwcf can help combat infection, even infections as serious as PA.
<br />
<br />I don't really recommend taking ant-acids. But if you don't know how to treat it using diet and the like, then taking ant-acids is far better than accepting the consequences of doing nothing about "hyperacidification" in pwcf. It is known to promote infection. In my experience, there is a much stronger relationship between gut health and lung health than most people seem to think. Keep her gut healthy and you will almost certainly see less lung damage in the long run. (But you can also cause problems if you make her stomach too alkaline because then she can't digest food properly. This is one of the reasons I am not thrilled with antacids. Alkaline foods and topical treatments for acidity won't cause this issue.)
<br />
<br />Good luck.

kitomd21

Ellie's CF doctor hasn't mentioned anything about "hyperacidity" as it relates to CF. I understand why CFers have this issue now that I've read through various posts. I will definitely ask him at her next appointment. I kind of get the feeling that he doesn't want to overwhelm us so early on with treatment options. At least, I'm hoping that's why he hasn't mentioned it!! I'm starting to get overwhelmed as I learn more and more about the wide range of practices people with CF are trying. It's so difficult because I don't want to miss anything...

kitomd21

Ellie's CF doctor hasn't mentioned anything about "hyperacidity" as it relates to CF. I understand why CFers have this issue now that I've read through various posts. I will definitely ask him at her next appointment. I kind of get the feeling that he doesn't want to overwhelm us so early on with treatment options. At least, I'm hoping that's why he hasn't mentioned it!! I'm starting to get overwhelmed as I learn more and more about the wide range of practices people with CF are trying. It's so difficult because I don't want to miss anything...

kitomd21

kitomd21

kitomd21

MicheleGazelle

I don't think most doctors talk about hyperacidification and how that relates to CF symptoms. Most people that I know who are addressing that in some fashion are seeing better results than you are supposed to with CF. But they typically do their own research. They don't typically hear this stuff from a doctor.

MicheleGazelle

I don't think most doctors talk about hyperacidification and how that relates to CF symptoms. Most people that I know who are addressing that in some fashion are seeing better results than you are supposed to with CF. But they typically do their own research. They don't typically hear this stuff from a doctor.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle