Antibiotics?

Haileysmommy

Antibiotics

When you or your child are sick how long are you on antibiotics? Hailey has a nasty cough and they want her to take them for 3 weeks. I was just wondering if this is the norm for everyone. Thanks.

anonymous

It depends on the type and severity of the infection. Our ds has not yet had IV antibiotics (7 yrs) but he's been on oral antibiotics for 3, 4, or 6 weeks multiple times for his chronic sinus problems. Are they rx'ing the antibiotics for her lungs, sinuses, or both?

JazzysMom

If I have a flare up that isnt serious enough for a hospital admit, we usually start with 2 weeks of antibiotics. By the 4-5th day I usually see a difference. Sometimes a little longer. Before the end of the 2 weeks I usual have had a check up which determines if I need to be on the Antibiotics longer. Because we are so far away from the clinic, my standby oral antibiotic is Cipro which I always have on hand or at least a prescription for it. I do use Tobi alternately with Bactrim, but for an actual flareup I usually use Cipro. Fortunately I dont need it a lot.

anonymous

My daughter usually also starts with oral Bactrim. If she does not show signs of improvement after 3-4 days she is put on IV's. She has done IV's for up to three weeks. Sometimes it takes that long to clear out her lungs.

Did they do a throat culture on Hailey to see if she's got a new bug? Usually, they will start the patient on an antibiotic that covers what he/she has last cultured. Then they may change the medication if something new shows up on the latest culture.

I recall from the "cough" thread that they thought asthma might be part of the problem. Sometimes my daughter also takes Prednisone (Orapred) before or concurrent with IV's. It is an anti-inflammatory for asthma. It's a steroid with side effects for long term use, but sometimes it has good results if asthma is the culprit.

Good luck and I hope Hailey is feeling better soon.

Maria (mother of three daughters, the youngest, Samantha w/cf)

Haileysmommy

Thank you for the replies. They did give her oral bactrim. She just cultured staph on her last culture at the beginning of this month. She has cultured that since birth. They didn't do another one because the clinic is 2.5-3 hours away depending on traffic. I don't think that it is in her sinuses. Her nose is runny but just barely and it is clear. This is the first time that she has been sick and needed anything for her lungs. My 6 year old said her breathing sounds all squeaky like when I rub her gums where her teeth are comming in. They said if it gets worse or there is no improvement we need to bring her in. Thanks again for the help.