anxiety meds that dont affect the lungs

regina65

The only time I have anxiety that I cant control is when I am on IV meds and in the hospital. I have only taken Xanax this time. I have tried Cymbalta . Lexapro before and they both make my heart race. Anyone have any suggestions about what I can use that gets rid of anxiety but doesn't slow down my breathing and hinder the mucus clearance.

colinmaydahl

"Special" brownies..... they don't supres your breathing, you don't watch the clock till you can get more, no hangover feeling. You just have to make them yourself, or buy from a dispensary if you are in a pot friendly state.....

regina65

doesnt work for me

"Special" brownies..... they don't supres your breathing, you don't watch the clock till you can get more, no hangover feeling. You just have to make them yourself, or buy from a dispensary if you are in a pot friendly state.....

Thank you but the special brownies don't work for me either . Ive tried them a couple years ago made my anxiety worse . And back then I didn't really have anxiety . Was trying them to give me an appetite which it did but caused me severe anxiety. I'm not in a pot friendly state anyway.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Anxiety is less so in oral cannabis, but THC loaded anything will exacerbate agitation of any origin. I am not going into a treatise on weed here but anybody interested in data for CF V cannabis please send a pm. I live in Colorado so I am not really hiding anything untoward. The idea has been ruled out here for good reasons.

Consider taking a beta blocker. I wish I could remember what I took but for me and many with my high voltage wiring are calmed with no dulling or side effects in my case. My cardio system is fine and my BP normal. Migraines plagued me for decades. It was evident why but I had no way to prevent my adrenals firing off a massive rush everytime I reacted to any excitement, good or bad. Enter Beta Blocker, a minor drug in medicine was so precious. A friend of constancy if ever there was.

Is there a chance your anxiety is coming through the IV,s?

LL

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Sorry, that was oblique. IV infusion can include a lot that can shock the body. Some antibiotics cause some agitation. Everything from very cold infusion bags straight from the fridge, to a pH or salinity alteration has some effect. Infusion goes in after my warmed blankets arrive.

LL

lilmac1177

i never even knew i had anxiety until it hit me like a ton of bricks in 2007 (was admitted twice that year for depression/anxiety and panic attacks, that's how bad it was!) ... my CF team, working together w/ my newly acquired psychiatrist (LOL) , really wanted to stay away from benzos such as Klonopin, Ativan, Xanax, etc., due to their addiction risk as well. i was fortunate that my psychiatrist, on first try, came up w/ a combo of Zoloft (depression) and Neurontin (anxiety) that has worked for me for six years now! same meds, same dosage! Neurontin is actually an anti-seizure med that is more commonly used for pain management and anxiety now. just my experience! good luck!!!

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
I don't know if this is the correct forum for discussing anxiety but lilmac1177 described something that I could have easily written, save I was treated and released with a rather uncomfortable diagnosis of biPolar disorder and a directive to see s psychiatrist ASAP. My family is full of genius and mental illness specifically I had a sister take her life, leaving me her traumatized ten year old to counsel and raise. If there is a fate worse than death, intractable manic/depressive disorder (bipolar I) is it. I thrill at the fact I got the CF and not mental illness.

I have been in on many "psych" admits where my sister or a friend became dangerous to themselves and I never thought how painful a label can be when you really don't want to wear that name tag. I know a 62 yr old doesn't start developing brain disorders like bipolarism, that usually shows from 19 to 26 years of age. Schizophrenia, depressive disorders and and bipolarism are now visualized in a brain CT so we weren't molested in the womb or whatever. It is singularly uncomfortable to have labels pinned by uninformed experts screwing up the job.

My brain and executive functions are just fine as I have learned. A psychiatrist seeing a psychiatrist does have merit when executive functions are in doubt. I have correlated infection with a rising level of agitation that has a pattern of a fever that goes up three degrees by mid day. No psychosis, no mental illness but it convinced several very smart people to the point that they missed my blood sugar number above 600 and orange, ketone loaded urine sitting by my bed. Until I was leaving and asked a nurse to test my odd looking urine.

I also have parkinson's disorder and again by observation shows only to a neurologist looking for something like it. It is well managed but my cogging was causing me to exaggerate my movements. I unwillinly punched a records clerk extending my hand to shake her's. As a result the sheepskin restraints and a guard showed up and my ER report reads more like a police report than a sense that a patient was in their care.

As near as I can tell the genesis of my "psychotic break" was more toxins and inflamation of the dura and brain. I have followed up with my psychiatrist every couple months. My death is something I look forward to and if I do have irrational fears over dying they are in deep in cover from my rational mind.

Does this strike a familiar chord to anyone else?

LL

running4life

I took Remeron and Ativan while I was having severe anxiety.

Remeron will give you the best sleep of your life. I only went off it because it made me hungry constantly, which is great for some CFers, but I don't struggle with keeping weight on. Ask your doc about Remeron! I am dreaming of the sleep I got on it. It was sooooooo good. Ativan is also good for the occasional anxiety.