Any experience with San Diego transplant center?

Skye

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ImmortalGoddezz</b></i>

The higher number of transplants don't necessarily mean a better center. Sure it means they have a lot of experience however I've found that centers who have a lot of patients begin to see you as more of a number than a person.

Yes, I do agree with this! I have not had the luxury of going to a more intimate center, but I am sure that is the case. I have certainly had my scheduling problems and that can become very stressful.

Skye

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ImmortalGoddezz</b></i>

The higher number of transplants don't necessarily mean a better center. Sure it means they have a lot of experience however I've found that centers who have a lot of patients begin to see you as more of a number than a person.

Yes, I do agree with this! I have not had the luxury of going to a more intimate center, but I am sure that is the case. I have certainly had my scheduling problems and that can become very stressful.

Skye

Skye

Skye

summer732

I have to go with bigger center not always = better. While I'm happy with my care from Penn (I'm also very agressive. I have every phone number and e-mail that I could get and I'm not afraid to make use of them), I liked my care in New Orleans much better. Now that the center in New Orleans is closed, my doctor has opened a center in Galveston. I think you should check that out. He is an absolute genius and knows the best doctors in the world.

One other positive about having your transplant done at a small center, is the pulmonologist is able to go into pretty much every transplant. that makes a world of a difference when the dr. was there for your surgery to observe what was going on, how the lungs were handled etc. Then he was with you from the start too. Once you are released from the surgeon (when the last chest tube is removed) they really don't take care of you anymore. you are no longer considered surgical, you are a medical patient.

If you want some more info feel free to PM me.

summer732

I have to go with bigger center not always = better. While I'm happy with my care from Penn (I'm also very agressive. I have every phone number and e-mail that I could get and I'm not afraid to make use of them), I liked my care in New Orleans much better. Now that the center in New Orleans is closed, my doctor has opened a center in Galveston. I think you should check that out. He is an absolute genius and knows the best doctors in the world.

One other positive about having your transplant done at a small center, is the pulmonologist is able to go into pretty much every transplant. that makes a world of a difference when the dr. was there for your surgery to observe what was going on, how the lungs were handled etc. Then he was with you from the start too. Once you are released from the surgeon (when the last chest tube is removed) they really don't take care of you anymore. you are no longer considered surgical, you are a medical patient.

summer732

summer732

summer732