Any Marching Band Members?

Cojean62

This is my fifth year in band and I'm in percussion. I started out on
clarinet three years ago but lost the lung power to play it. So now I'm
in the Pit and people make fun of me. They say that I'm worthless
because I don't march in the field show. I never told them the reason I
don't march and play my clarinet is because I don't have the air to make
a sound. Even when I do they call me a 'defective' band member. What do
you junior and senior band members think I should do? Should I just drop out of band?

Cojean62

you junior and senior band members think I should do? Should I just drop out of band?

Cojean62

redheadedmommy

No , Dont drop out.. i as in band for 3 years until i dropped out of school . i did get my ged but im so far behind as far as college goes its bad.. im gonna take a guess in the dark and say your a freshman/sophmore? people can be mean , I'd just over look it , but thats me no body ever knew i had cf when i was in school , because of the "awesome" people , that judged me.. " your always missing classes " etc etc .. i wouldn't let them get the best of me! this is just my personal opion ! I made that mistake , but i've learned not to let judgemental people get me down there not worth it .. sorry this came out as more of a ramble then a true answer but i hope this might help.

redheadedmommy

No , Dont drop out.. i as in band for 3 years until i dropped out of school . i did get my ged but im so far behind as far as college goes its bad.. im gonna take a guess in the dark and say your a freshman/sophmore? people can be mean , I'd just over look it , but thats me no body ever knew i had cf when i was in school , because of the "awesome" people , that judged me.. " your always missing classes " etc etc .. i wouldn't let them get the best of me! this is just my personal opion ! I made that mistake , but i've learned not to let judgemental people get me down there not worth it .. sorry this came out as more of a ramble then a true answer but i hope this might help.

redheadedmommy

robert321

Don't drop band, I loved band in highschool and wish I could go back. I don't remember exactly what percentage but pit/percussion is part of the overall score at UIL competition. Find out and remind everyone that you guys down front and the drumline account for _% of the overall score. What are you playing in pit? More and more pit plays a larger part in the overall show with people starting to use synthesizers and electric keyboards in the show.
Talk to the director, back in high school each section would have t shirts made for the section. For our evening practices we had to wear white tshirts so we would make our section shirts white and they usually had some suggestive borderline rude slogan or saying written on them. Be sure and get director approval for anything you do. Unfortunately I don't remember what any of the percussion shirts said. Come up with something witty and you can use those iron on print out things to make the shirts for only a few dollars each shirt and they'll look great. Just a suggestion though, turn the shirts inside out to wash them if you use that method.

robert321

Don't drop band, I loved band in highschool and wish I could go back. I don't remember exactly what percentage but pit/percussion is part of the overall score at UIL competition. Find out and remind everyone that you guys down front and the drumline account for _% of the overall score. What are you playing in pit? More and more pit plays a larger part in the overall show with people starting to use synthesizers and electric keyboards in the show.
Talk to the director, back in high school each section would have t shirts made for the section. For our evening practices we had to wear white tshirts so we would make our section shirts white and they usually had some suggestive borderline rude slogan or saying written on them. Be sure and get director approval for anything you do. Unfortunately I don't remember what any of the percussion shirts said. Come up with something witty and you can use those iron on print out things to make the shirts for only a few dollars each shirt and they'll look great. Just a suggestion though, turn the shirts inside out to wash them if you use that method.

robert321

<br />Talk to the director, back in high school each section would have t shirts made for the section. For our evening practices we had to wear white tshirts so we would make our section shirts white and they usually had some suggestive borderline rude slogan or saying written on them. Be sure and get director approval for anything you do. Unfortunately I don't remember what any of the percussion shirts said. Come up with something witty and you can use those iron on print out things to make the shirts for only a few dollars each shirt and they'll look great. Just a suggestion though, turn the shirts inside out to wash them if you use that method.

robert321

robert321

robert321

<br />Talk to the director, back in high school each section would have t shirts made for the section. For our evening practices we had to wear white tshirts so we would make our section shirts white and they usually had some suggestive borderline rude slogan or saying written on them. Be sure and get director approval for anything you do. Unfortunately I don't remember what any of the percussion shirts said. Come up with something witty and you can use those iron on print out things to make the shirts for only a few dollars each shirt and they'll look great. Just a suggestion though, turn the shirts inside out to wash them if you use that method.

Sidewynnder

I was in marching band for all four years of high school. I played Trumpet, but it was quite difficult. Who told you that you are worthless for being in the pit? Other band members? I surely hope not.

I have never worried with what people think of me (regardless of my CF, I mean in general). It really doesn't matter in the end, and you shouldn't let what others say get to you. Be yourself.

I was never the most popular person in school, but I was friends with a lot of people from a lot of different groups. I met my best friend in marching band (we also had an algebra class together). A lot of the people I still talk to from high school I knew from band.

It is hard to ignore what others say (especially around those high school years), but in the end it will make you far happier. Stick with band if you enjoy it. I always thought it was a lot of fun. I'm sure you have friends in the band. Hang with them and ignore the others. You won't be around them much longer anyway. I only see a handful of people I knew in high school.

Sidewynnder

I was in marching band for all four years of high school. I played Trumpet, but it was quite difficult. Who told you that you are worthless for being in the pit? Other band members? I surely hope not.

I have never worried with what people think of me (regardless of my CF, I mean in general). It really doesn't matter in the end, and you shouldn't let what others say get to you. Be yourself.

I was never the most popular person in school, but I was friends with a lot of people from a lot of different groups. I met my best friend in marching band (we also had an algebra class together). A lot of the people I still talk to from high school I knew from band.

It is hard to ignore what others say (especially around those high school years), but in the end it will make you far happier. Stick with band if you enjoy it. I always thought it was a lot of fun. I'm sure you have friends in the band. Hang with them and ignore the others. You won't be around them much longer anyway. I only see a handful of people I knew in high school.

Sidewynnder

<br />
<br />I have never worried with what people think of me (regardless of my CF, I mean in general). It really doesn't matter in the end, and you shouldn't let what others say get to you. Be yourself.
<br />
<br />I was never the most popular person in school, but I was friends with a lot of people from a lot of different groups. I met my best friend in marching band (we also had an algebra class together). A lot of the people I still talk to from high school I knew from band.
<br />
<br />It is hard to ignore what others say (especially around those high school years), but in the end it will make you far happier. Stick with band if you enjoy it. I always thought it was a lot of fun. I'm sure you have friends in the band. Hang with them and ignore the others. You won't be around them much longer anyway. I only see a handful of people I knew in high school.

T

tarheel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Sidewynnder</b></i>

It is hard to ignore what others say (especially around those high school years), but in the end it will make you far happier. Stick with band if you enjoy it. I always thought it was a lot of fun. I'm sure you have friends in the band. Hang with them and ignore the others. You won't be around them much longer anyway. I only see a handful of people I knew in high school.</end quote></div>
*HI FIVE*
YEAH! TRUMPETS!!!!

Sorry. Anyways...
I was in Marching band too. I play trumpet (no, that was not just a completely random shout-out)
I'm a freshman in college this year, and not in NC State's Marching band, but at the moment I'm planning to try out for my Sophomore year.
'nuff bout me.

I kind of see where you're coming from. Our pit and color guard got such crap from the rest of us. Honestly, we were all just SO jealous because they didn't have to "do everything" we did. Like the pit didn't have to learn 75 pages of formations and such. I ADMIT IT! WE WERE ALL JEALOUS OF THE PIT! There. You have it. From a trumpet player. And honestly, unless you belong to some really wack-job band I don't think they honestly mean it. Don't quit. I hated my HS and the only people I still talk to are my band friends. DO NOT QUIT. SERIOUSLY.

And if you're a junior or something I'd work on playing the clarinet. Like get back on top of it. Then maybe next year you can "play clarinet" in the band. And I'll let you in on a secret- Junior year I barely played because a lot of the time I was so out of breath and such. No one noticed. All you have to do is memorize roughly the fingerings.

So there's my advice. Don't quit. And at least you didn't defect to the color guard. @-@. (No offense to any twirl girls out there.)

<div><br></div><div>OH and I BET you can get back to the clarinet. I play trumpet and my lung function is in the gutter. And I still play. </div>

T

tarheel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Sidewynnder</b></i>

It is hard to ignore what others say (especially around those high school years), but in the end it will make you far happier. Stick with band if you enjoy it. I always thought it was a lot of fun. I'm sure you have friends in the band. Hang with them and ignore the others. You won't be around them much longer anyway. I only see a handful of people I knew in high school.</end quote>
*HI FIVE*
YEAH! TRUMPETS!!!!

Sorry. Anyways...
I was in Marching band too. I play trumpet (no, that was not just a completely random shout-out)
I'm a freshman in college this year, and not in NC State's Marching band, but at the moment I'm planning to try out for my Sophomore year.
'nuff bout me.

I kind of see where you're coming from. Our pit and color guard got such crap from the rest of us. Honestly, we were all just SO jealous because they didn't have to "do everything" we did. Like the pit didn't have to learn 75 pages of formations and such. I ADMIT IT! WE WERE ALL JEALOUS OF THE PIT! There. You have it. From a trumpet player. And honestly, unless you belong to some really wack-job band I don't think they honestly mean it. Don't quit. I hated my HS and the only people I still talk to are my band friends. DO NOT QUIT. SERIOUSLY.

And if you're a junior or something I'd work on playing the clarinet. Like get back on top of it. Then maybe next year you can "play clarinet" in the band. And I'll let you in on a secret- Junior year I barely played because a lot of the time I was so out of breath and such. No one noticed. All you have to do is memorize roughly the fingerings.

So there's my advice. Don't quit. And at least you didn't defect to the color guard. @-@. (No offense to any twirl girls out there.)

<br>OH and I BET you can get back to the clarinet. I play trumpet and my lung function is in the gutter. And I still play.

T

tarheel

It is hard to ignore what others say (especially around those high school years), but in the end it will make you far happier. Stick with band if you enjoy it. I always thought it was a lot of fun. I'm sure you have friends in the band. Hang with them and ignore the others. You won't be around them much longer anyway. I only see a handful of people I knew in high school.</end quote>
*HI FIVE*
YEAH! TRUMPETS!!!!

Sorry. Anyways...
'nuff bout me.

<br>OH and I BET you can get back to the clarinet. I play trumpet and my lung function is in the gutter. And I still play.