Any similar stories?

ViviansMom

Hi, I'm new to this site also but I know all to well the time, stress and love it takes to deal with a child with CF. I was perhaps the luckiest of all to find out that before my daughter was born that she was CF.

My daughter's father had a daughter with CF and I mention it to my OBGYN and he did DNA testing and I to was a carrier, then we had an amino at 14 weeks of my pregnancy and at 16 week we had the results indeed she was CF positive. I right away contacted the CF foundation and they sent me tons of literature and I also got in touch with her now CF doctor, and they to provided me with tons of educational literature. I thought I had all the answers but I have found with CF that you can never know enough. In the hospital where my daughter was born her CF doctor was present and took charge of her right away. Her very first meal was laced with pancreas enzymes. We went home from the hospital doing P T, your doctor should have the soft rubber PT cups to start you off. As far as the vest it is the most wonderful item that a CF patient can have ,they are not normally give by age rather their chest size . They have to be a certain size before they can start it, some doctors will kind of pad the size for you by using a thick shirt to increase chest size

Vivian's respiratory problems did not start till she was around 9 mouths old, you are never prepared for it when it does happen.

As time goes by their med's increase and antibiotics will be one that you are never without.

Some tips is to never never allow smoking around your child, don't visit homes that have smokers rather they are family or not smoke remains even after the cigaret has been put out, And a clean heating source it best . Check out side your home for standing waters (in containers or ponds) they holds bacteria that are very harmful and will cause lung infections. Allow your child to eat what ever when ever they want a good weight gain equals good lung functions. Pets are looked down on in the CF world but we have a small dog that my daughter adores. Mold is another thing to watch for and avoid.

Good Luck and feel free to ask me anything you like.
Carol
aka Vivian's Mom