Any sprint triathletes here?

imported_Momto2

OMG I must be crazy.   I am actually thinking about training for one of these in spring 2012.   Gotta improve the swimming first though, and I have no idea if my body will hold up to the training.   I did run a good 10K on Thursday, then on Friday swam laps for 20 minutes and biked for 30 after that. Its a start at least (although the swimming was brutal- I havent done laps since I was a teenager)    I do know the conventional wisdom is that you need to be able to swim about 30 minutes, bike at least 30, and run about 30, so I am in the ballpark and have 7-8 months to train.   My goal is to survive and complete  : )   Anyone here have any tips on doing this with a sub-normal FEV?<br>

imported_Momto2

OMG I must be crazy. I am actually thinking about training for one of these in spring 2012. Gotta improve the swimming first though, and I have no idea if my body will hold up to the training. I did run a good 10K on Thursday, then on Friday swam laps for 20 minutes and biked for 30 after that. Its a start at least (although the swimming was brutal- I havent done laps since I was a teenager) I do know the conventional wisdom is that you need to be able to swim about 30 minutes, bike at least 30, and run about 30, so I am in the ballpark and have 7-8 months to train. My goal is to survive and complete : ) Anyone here have any tips on doing this with a sub-normal FEV?<br>

imported_Momto2

OMG I must be crazy. I am actually thinking about training for one of these in spring 2012. Gotta improve the swimming first though, and I have no idea if my body will hold up to the training. I did run a good 10K on Thursday, then on Friday swam laps for 20 minutes and biked for 30 after that. Its a start at least (although the swimming was brutal- I havent done laps since I was a teenager) I do know the conventional wisdom is that you need to be able to swim about 30 minutes, bike at least 30, and run about 30, so I am in the ballpark and have 7-8 months to train. My goal is to survive and complete : ) Anyone here have any tips on doing this with a sub-normal FEV?<br>

CysticlyFIT

Yo go for it!!!

Training is 50% working out, and 50% REST, !

Build up and keep a journal/ training log, eat,- EAT very well,- no crap, fast food, ect- & esp fuel up on carbs, small snacks times 6x a day and get plenty of sleep. Make sure your vitamin levels are good, calcium and don't forget protein.

Drink plenty of salty fluids, such as Gatorade/Power Aid, during work outs, before and after . Immediately eat something with carb/protein balance 30 mins after workout,- as this is your window of storage for muscles.

I would train 3 on,- 3 off, then -2 on, 3off, finally 4 on on 5 off, -repeat- if you feel good.!

Most of all,* listen to your body, if you feel bad, overheating, ect STOP, and take a good few days off.

Don't worry about FEVs, -there are CF marathoners out there with alot lower FEV1 then yours !- it is how you feel and the power of your mind that you can do this, !

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CysticlyFIT

Yo go for it!!!

Training is 50% working out, and 50% REST, !

Build up and keep a journal/ training log, eat,- EAT very well,- no crap, fast food, ect- & esp fuel up on carbs, small snacks times 6x a day and get plenty of sleep. Make sure your vitamin levels are good, calcium and don't forget protein.

Drink plenty of salty fluids, such as Gatorade/Power Aid, during work outs, before and after . Immediately eat something with carb/protein balance 30 mins after workout,- as this is your window of storage for muscles.

I would train 3 on,- 3 off, then -2 on, 3off, finally 4 on on 5 off, -repeat- if you feel good.!

Most of all,* listen to your body, if you feel bad, overheating, ect STOP, and take a good few days off.

Don't worry about FEVs, -there are CF marathoners out there with alot lower FEV1 then yours !- it is how you feel and the power of your mind that you can do this, !

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evilee

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm in as well!

I've been running / riding this year and have just added swimming to the mix. I'm planning on running an Xterra off-road tri next year. Did you manage to make it out to do a Tri this spring?

imported_Momto2

: ( I got three bouts of gout and then hurt my left knee when I was able to train again. Still trying to get back into shape. Right now I cant swim at all cuz the kiddos are out of school and I cant get to the pool unless I get up at 5 am and swim before my husband leaves for work, and the way I've been sleeping lately with my allergies, that aint gonna happen! ACK!

Evilee

Sorry to hear that you've been struggling. I can't think of many things less fun than wanting to get some exercise and not being able to. What have you been doing instead of running to keep things cleared up?

running4life

I signed up for a Half Ironman in April. I have a Sprint tri in October and it will be my first. Currently, I am swimming 2-3 times a week, cycling 2-4 times, running twice, and lifting weights 5 times a week. At the moment, I am trying to gain some muscle before the HIM training begins seriously so I don't wither away. Good luck! I am proud of you!!