Anybody else ever have these sinus symptoms

Allisa35

Hi everybody. It's been awhile since I've been on the site. I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue. I have never really had any sinus issues before. Maybe 3 or 4 days ago, I had a bloody nose. My sinuses didn't exactly feel right afterwards but I didn't really give it much thought. I was just kind of "stuffy" on one side. The following day it was slightly tender to the touch. Last night and expecially within the last couple of hours, it has really been hurting. It is now very tender to the touch and is causing a headache. It almost feels bruised or swollen, but I haven't done anything to it. Yesterday, I was out in the yard with my husband helping him with some tree branches that he cut out of the tree. I know there are things in the air and soil that can impact cf patients, and didn't know if that might be part of he cause. I'm just very stumped. I've never had this problem. I don't know if it is related to the nose bleed that I had. I have a clinic appt. on Tuesday and was going to wait, but I'm a bit concerned. Unfortunately, both of the nurses are out of the office Friday, so I don't know if I should try and call me PC dr. or just wait. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks a bunch.

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
You have me on what might be happening but I think "things in the air and soil" as one possibility is a good guess. As a Senior member you should be aware of high blood pressure and nose bleeds. If you have deep arteries and veins in your nose as a lot of steroid sniffing CFers like me do, instead of rupturing and bleeding, a vein or small artery in the nose may be leaking and creating a bruise out of your nose. CFers have crud enough in their noses and in any dry climate, that desicated crud can cut the tender skin in the nose.

Tree allergies get amplified by trimming something like a tree. I have worked with dozens of different wood and have nearly died from my ignorance about them. A lot of woods produce toxic saw dust and they don't have warning labels on 'em. I can't remember if it was zebrawood or a vermillian, but deadly saw dust sticks in my mind pretty well. You have the tree bark, all the critters' saliva and feces wiped on that bark now being made into dust. The sap is often a natural biotoxin as it tries to ward of insects. Depending on the tree, the sap can be deadly and I am not just talking exotic trees in Africa. Cutting down a junipier tree is worth paying somebody else to deal with the toxic sap. The sapwood and heartwood may be toxic although most trees that are popular around people are less so.

Dust on the leaves, bird and rodent poop itself or the deadly histoplasmosis fungus that proliferates in it and pollen from far away galaxies are in the air while you are working outside. There's a lot to react to that you don't get in concentrations like you do prunning, digging out rain gutters etc. One thought that you might consider is the possibility you came in contact with an early shoot of poison ivy or such?

With your nosebleeds and other tenderness, directly treating the nose seems out of the question. Possibly a cold wash cloth or ice pack could reduce some swelling and inflamation without doing added harm. If you can tolerate oral antihistamines, benadryl or such that you know the effects can't harm and at least will react to the nasal swelling. Assuming you haven't thrown your clothes in the wash and taken a shower, that is in order right now. If you turn out to have a bite from poison ivy or whatever, toss those clothes. Good Luck

LL

Allisa35

Thanks for the info. My sinuses do tend to be dry and I think that is what usually causes my nose bleeds. I have no idea what kind of trees are in our yard. I tend to think this is more related to the nose bleed that I had than from being outside & helping with the trees, but just thought maybe that may have aggrevated it more. I did call my PC doc today (nurse actually). They said to just put a warm compress on it and take ibuprofen As long as I don't have a fever or noticable swelling, she said I should be ok to wait until Tuesday. If I get worse over the weekend, I will have to go to the prompt care. I will be curious to find out what it is. Hopefully my cf doc will have some idea. Thanks!!

LittleLab4CF

Super Moderator
Wait a minute! Doesn't ibuprofen reduce blood clotting? I'd suspend ibuprofen in trade for Tylenol (acetaminophen). And sorry, but heat at best is half right. If you wish to alternate between hot packs and cold packs it may not do added good except people usually feel better having warmth after a cold pack.

In the winter I use a nasal cream made by my compounding pharmacy as an over the counter item. When I am desperate, I will use petrolium jelly but if you can't find nasal cream, zinc oxide ointment does a good job of keeping your snot locker moist.

LL