Anyone else have a slowww eater?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has never been the speediest of eaters, but lately he seems to dawdle so much that he gets full way to early. Or he'll tell me he only wants one or two really little pancakes, so he can eat fast.

I know in preschool sometimes he doesn't get dessert because he eats too slow. They do work with him to encourage eating and since he'll be in all day kindergarten next year, I think they're really trying to get him to eat in a timely manner, so they're not letting him sit longer at the table.

I KNOW that this is pretty much all part of a big power struggle/control issue on his part. We've always struggled with his eating and this is just one more nuance in his behavior. It just drives me bonkers because if we don't encourage him to eat, fix him what we KNOW he'll eat he could care less. He just doesn't get hungry.

Oh and the other night he threw such a fit about eating, that my husband swears he made himself throw up on purpose just to get out of eating. I'd fixed mac and cheese for the first time in about 3 years at his request and then refused to touch it.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has never been the speediest of eaters, but lately he seems to dawdle so much that he gets full way to early. Or he'll tell me he only wants one or two really little pancakes, so he can eat fast.

I know in preschool sometimes he doesn't get dessert because he eats too slow. They do work with him to encourage eating and since he'll be in all day kindergarten next year, I think they're really trying to get him to eat in a timely manner, so they're not letting him sit longer at the table.

I KNOW that this is pretty much all part of a big power struggle/control issue on his part. We've always struggled with his eating and this is just one more nuance in his behavior. It just drives me bonkers because if we don't encourage him to eat, fix him what we KNOW he'll eat he could care less. He just doesn't get hungry.

Oh and the other night he threw such a fit about eating, that my husband swears he made himself throw up on purpose just to get out of eating. I'd fixed mac and cheese for the first time in about 3 years at his request and then refused to touch it.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I know in preschool sometimes he doesn't get dessert because he eats too slow. They do work with him to encourage eating and since he'll be in all day kindergarten next year, I think they're really trying to get him to eat in a timely manner, so they're not letting him sit longer at the table.
<br />
<br />I KNOW that this is pretty much all part of a big power struggle/control issue on his part. We've always struggled with his eating and this is just one more nuance in his behavior. It just drives me bonkers because if we don't encourage him to eat, fix him what we KNOW he'll eat he could care less. He just doesn't get hungry.
<br />
<br />Oh and the other night he threw such a fit about eating, that my husband swears he made himself throw up on purpose just to get out of eating. I'd fixed mac and cheese for the first time in about 3 years at his request and then refused to touch it.

Transplantmommy

Liza,
I think that it is just a little kid thing. Brady does the same thing and he doesn't have CF. Sometimes he will take a couple of bites and then just play with his food...he actually did that last night. I would say keep working on it. If Brady's not eating enough, I give him some Pediasure for something like that.

PS- Brady will be 3 on Saturday, is over 3 feet tall, and only weighs 27 lbs. The last time that I saw my CF doc, he looked at Brady and said "He has been tested for CF right?" If Brady hadn't been tested, that would have scared the crap out of me.

Transplantmommy

Liza,
I think that it is just a little kid thing. Brady does the same thing and he doesn't have CF. Sometimes he will take a couple of bites and then just play with his food...he actually did that last night. I would say keep working on it. If Brady's not eating enough, I give him some Pediasure for something like that.

PS- Brady will be 3 on Saturday, is over 3 feet tall, and only weighs 27 lbs. The last time that I saw my CF doc, he looked at Brady and said "He has been tested for CF right?" If Brady hadn't been tested, that would have scared the crap out of me.

Transplantmommy

Liza,

Transplantmommy

Liza,

Transplantmommy

Liza,
<br />I think that it is just a little kid thing. Brady does the same thing and he doesn't have CF. Sometimes he will take a couple of bites and then just play with his food...he actually did that last night. I would say keep working on it. If Brady's not eating enough, I give him some Pediasure for something like that.
<br />
<br />PS- Brady will be 3 on Saturday, is over 3 feet tall, and only weighs 27 lbs. The last time that I saw my CF doc, he looked at Brady and said "He has been tested for CF right?" If Brady hadn't been tested, that would have scared the crap out of me.

folione

It's nice to have company. My 5 year old boy w/CF has really been driving me nutso lately with his meal-time dawdling. But I'm 99% certain is has nothing at all to do with cf and the real issue is how I can just not let it get to me The boy is just too busy thinking and talking to chew...he'll sit there with a bite of food in his mouth like a hamster for minutes at a time while prattling on about any random topic that flies through his head. But over the course of a day and week and month he manages to eat enough to stay above 50% on the bmi scale.

The latest idea we just started last night was music during dinner - but then he just danced in his seat. Next on the list is to try a no-talking rule for the first 5 minutes of dinner (this is something they do at his kindergarten). We're just trying to not get sucked into turning meal time into a battle or nag-fest.

folione

It's nice to have company. My 5 year old boy w/CF has really been driving me nutso lately with his meal-time dawdling. But I'm 99% certain is has nothing at all to do with cf and the real issue is how I can just not let it get to me The boy is just too busy thinking and talking to chew...he'll sit there with a bite of food in his mouth like a hamster for minutes at a time while prattling on about any random topic that flies through his head. But over the course of a day and week and month he manages to eat enough to stay above 50% on the bmi scale.

The latest idea we just started last night was music during dinner - but then he just danced in his seat. Next on the list is to try a no-talking rule for the first 5 minutes of dinner (this is something they do at his kindergarten). We're just trying to not get sucked into turning meal time into a battle or nag-fest.

folione

folione

folione

<br />
<br />The latest idea we just started last night was music during dinner - but then he just danced in his seat. Next on the list is to try a no-talking rule for the first 5 minutes of dinner (this is something they do at his kindergarten). We're just trying to not get sucked into turning meal time into a battle or nag-fest.

DEES4

I have a 5 year old son that takes forever to eat a meal....drives me crazy. His thing is he chews each bite so many darn times. I try not to make much of an issue out of it but inside I'm screaming....just swallow the stinkin bite. Anyway just hoping it gets better with age!
Carrie

DEES4

I have a 5 year old son that takes forever to eat a meal....drives me crazy. His thing is he chews each bite so many darn times. I try not to make much of an issue out of it but inside I'm screaming....just swallow the stinkin bite. Anyway just hoping it gets better with age!
Carrie

DEES4

Carrie

DEES4

Carrie

DEES4

<br />Carrie