Anyone else with fev1 @ 46%

Rossigrl

I am just wondering what others are experiencing at this #. It is starring to get difficult to live a normal life at this point. I have chest tightness, sob, fatigue all the time. Not able work more than 3, 8 hr shifts. Feel like i have a chronic illness for the first time ever. My sister has fev1 in 80's and almost all of my Cf friends from when I was a kid in the hospital have since passed. Can anyone relate to feeling this way at these numbers and what is next when they dip into the 30's?
Thanks for your help, Jen

Printer

I was down to 43% at one time. One hour a day using my vest with a neb of 7% sal brought me up to 59%.

kenna2

I felt that way when I was in the 40's for awhile. My suggestion to you (if you haven't already) is to get the process of getting on the transplant list going. The reason I say this is because the first round of testing is really long and demanding. It's a couple of days worth of stuff and it takes all day. That way these doctors are familiar with you, you have all the preliminary testing out of the way. So if your lung functions drop down even farther, they can monitor you and get you on the list quicker if need be. Trust me, these tests were difficult for me when my functions were in the 40's. I can't imagine having to go through them if they were lower. I was fortunate enough to get my lung functions higher by going to pulmonary rehab and due to Orkambi. However, I am still listed but my name isn't active. Meaning I'm too healthy for a transplant but I'm in the system. I do however have to repeat some of these transplant tests yearly now so they can monitor my progress. Something else if you haven't done already is to get onto disability. It sucks, but the way I look at it is CF is now my full time job. You need to take care of yourself first before you do anything else. I had to stop working but I was able to rest my body and get things back under control on my time. Also when you get on disability, they have some work from home programs that you can do. So that's something you might be interested in doing as well. Or find a job where you can work from home. The main thing is that you take care of yourself first.

musclemania70

Get evaluated

My reccomendation is to get evaluated for transplant.
CF patients are waiting too long and doctors hesitate to refer them for transplant. All you need is one bad cold or pneumonia and you become too sick to get listed.
I was in the forties when i first got evaluated but not bec my doctors told me to but because i was being proactive.

I suddenly got a pneumonia and i wasnt even listed. But i went downhill so quickly, i would not have been well enough to be evaluated.

Im not to telling you this to scare you, im telling you because docs wont insist on doing it. CF docs may tell you you are too well and you are! But its better to be prepared and then go back once a year for a check up to the tx clinic. Annoying but worth it. Other option is to not get evaluated and just hope that things progress very slowly til you have no option. I wouldnt wait if i were you.

If you are serious about wanting to get listed, do it now. Dont wait. I would not be here if i hadnt planned ahead and went to be evaluated way before i needed it!!!

LunaFaith

I've been living with my lung function in the 30's for the last 9 years, ever since I was diagnosed and while I have periods when I feel like that I've adjusted, no cystic patient leads a 'normal' life we have too many things to do to help remain healthy but I would suggest exercise, over time my endurance got better when I would go walk everyday.

Rossigrl

I've been living with my lung function in the 30's for the last 9 years, ever since I was diagnosed and while I have periods when I feel like that I've adjusted, no cystic patient leads a 'normal' life we have too many things to do to help remain healthy but I would suggest exercise, over time my endurance got better when I would go walk everyday.

I completely agree! Ineed to get my butt moving and exercise!!!!