Anyone ever have a late CF diagnosis (10 year old) who never showed symptoms?

Juliet

I was DX a few months ago at 43. I had a chronic cough and tendency to get lung infections all my life. I could never get a simple cold and be over it in a few days like most people. The cough would always linger for a month. But I was relatively healthy, have a 13 yo daughter and lead a busy normal life. The docs finally figured it out with genetic testing, despite a "normal" sweat test. ~J

Juliet

I was DX a few months ago at 43. I had a chronic cough and tendency to get lung infections all my life. I could never get a simple cold and be over it in a few days like most people. The cough would always linger for a month. But I was relatively healthy, have a 13 yo daughter and lead a busy normal life. The docs finally figured it out with genetic testing, despite a "normal" sweat test. ~J

Juliet

Juliet

Juliet

ginandbrea

Unfortunately it is common to be "mis-diagnosed" as my daughter was at 9 y/o (just Dx 7 months ago). She has been hospitalized twice in the last 7 months. It is a heart wrenching experience to think for years your child has asthma and then the bomb drops, it is really devastating that so many years have passed without the proper treatments causing more lung damage. Her best FEV1 has been 89%, the day of hospital discharge in March.

Breanna raised $3000.00 for her Great Strides walk in May !!!

ginandbrea

Unfortunately it is common to be "mis-diagnosed" as my daughter was at 9 y/o (just Dx 7 months ago). She has been hospitalized twice in the last 7 months. It is a heart wrenching experience to think for years your child has asthma and then the bomb drops, it is really devastating that so many years have passed without the proper treatments causing more lung damage. Her best FEV1 has been 89%, the day of hospital discharge in March.

ginandbrea

ginandbrea

ginandbrea

<br />
<br />Breanna raised $3000.00 for her Great Strides walk in May !!!

lauren04rdh

I was DX at 24. My childhood was normal but I did have allergies and recurring bronchitis. My symptoms didnt get bothersome until high school, and didnt get debilitating until my 20's. I persisted with my doctors because I felt so crappy. At 21, migraines led me to a Neurologist who referred me to an ENT for sinusitis. That ENT did my first sinus surgery with little results. By this time I also had chronic, fibromyalgia-like pain, every day. He then referred me to another, better ENT who is 3 hours away. He is actually a Rhinologist. A second surgery was done, and he ordered a CT scan of my lungs and gene testing. Then came my diagnosis of Bronchiectasis and CF at 24, and referrals to the CF Clinic. I am very thankful for the doctor who found it.

lauren04rdh

I was DX at 24. My childhood was normal but I did have allergies and recurring bronchitis. My symptoms didnt get bothersome until high school, and didnt get debilitating until my 20's. I persisted with my doctors because I felt so crappy. At 21, migraines led me to a Neurologist who referred me to an ENT for sinusitis. That ENT did my first sinus surgery with little results. By this time I also had chronic, fibromyalgia-like pain, every day. He then referred me to another, better ENT who is 3 hours away. He is actually a Rhinologist. A second surgery was done, and he ordered a CT scan of my lungs and gene testing. Then came my diagnosis of Bronchiectasis and CF at 24, and referrals to the CF Clinic. I am very thankful for the doctor who found it.

lauren04rdh

lauren04rdh

lauren04rdh