Anyone here from NC? Considering a move...

humphrey711

Hello all. I currently live in MA and am considering a move to NC. I am wondering how the weather down there impacts little ones with CF. My DD is six and doing great. Also, I know both Duke and UNC have CF centers. I would appreciate hearing thoughts on both. If we move I will be working at Duke. What are the towns, within an hour, that have good schools and are somewhat small? Thanks!

jaimers

Super Moderator
I grew up in chapel hill NC and now live outside Boston so we did the opposite of you! I was originally diagnosed at duke and then my doc there retired when i was 3 or 4 and i switched over to chapel hill where i was seen until about 7 months ago when we moved (i'm 28 now). Both are excellent cf centers. UNC is much bigger. The peds program there is awesome as is the adult program. There are some people on here that go to Duke i believe so hopefully they'll chime in. UNC (and i believe Duke) is a teaching and research hospital so there always clinical trials going on which is awesome to be able to participate in those if your DD qualifies.
Honestly, I miss NC terribly but there are some things that it may have been best to get away from, namely the *terrible* humidity, really bad pollen and spring/summer/fall allergies. It's really hot and humid there beginning in probably march and ending in october-ish. it can be cooler in the spring months but by late april/early may it's consistently upper 80s to low 90s and very humid. By late may/early june you're in the high summer mode and it's in the 90s+ every day and really humid. i know it can get humid here in Mass sometimes but so far when people here are complaining about it being humid i can barely tell there's humidity. In NC you step outside in the late spring through early fall and it's like you are being suffocated by a hot wet blanket. That being said, it's beautiful there and I would go back in a heartbeat.
The Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area is awesome. Tons of fun things to do for families and people of all ages/life stages. I grew up right outside of Chapel Hill and though I wasn't districted for the city public schools I've heard they are really good. Durham public schools not so much. Raleigh has better public schools more on par with Chapel Hill. There are tons of small and large private schools in all 3 of those cities if you want to go that route. The county public schools weren't great when i was going through school so my parents had us in private school but they may have improved (chapel hill is orange county , raleigh is wake county, durham= durham county).
Another nice thing about NC is that you can easily get to the beach or the mountains. The beach down there is a lot different than here in MA. No rocky coastline--miles of sand stretching up and down the coast! it's glorious. the beach here was such a shock when my husband and i first arrived haha!

Please let me know if you have more questions! You may also get more replies if you post this in the adults section as well...

NathanL

We live on the coast in NC, and my wife is a patient at Duke. Both Duke and UNC have good CF centers, although UNC children's hospital is a bit nicer, but Duke has a much larger transplant center, which is something to consider for down the road. We love living in NC. The humidity can be intense during the summer, but it did not effect my wife until she became very sick before her transplant.

Nate