Anyone on maintenance Zithromax?

rcq925

Just wondering if anyone is doing Zithromax (azithromycin) as a maintenance med. My daughter, Hayley, who is 4 just started it this week. She has had three rounds of IV antis in the last six months, had a bronch which did not really culture anything, chest CT, sinus CT, and a few other tests and no answers for her continued cough. She has only cultured PA once and that was in July of 2006. I really thought we would find PA in the bronch, but we didn't! We didn't even find the staph and H-Flu that she frequently cultures.

So our doctor sent us to a larger CF clinic in our state (Indiana) for a second opinion with the head of the larger clinic. She is kind of stumped too, but decided to put us on Zithromax on Monday, Wednesday, Friday to see if that helps.

So I am curious if anyone else is on it and how it is working for them.

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

rcq925

Just wondering if anyone is doing Zithromax (azithromycin) as a maintenance med. My daughter, Hayley, who is 4 just started it this week. She has had three rounds of IV antis in the last six months, had a bronch which did not really culture anything, chest CT, sinus CT, and a few other tests and no answers for her continued cough. She has only cultured PA once and that was in July of 2006. I really thought we would find PA in the bronch, but we didn't! We didn't even find the staph and H-Flu that she frequently cultures.

So our doctor sent us to a larger CF clinic in our state (Indiana) for a second opinion with the head of the larger clinic. She is kind of stumped too, but decided to put us on Zithromax on Monday, Wednesday, Friday to see if that helps.

rcq925

rcq925

rcq925

<br />
<br />So our doctor sent us to a larger CF clinic in our state (Indiana) for a second opinion with the head of the larger clinic. She is kind of stumped too, but decided to put us on Zithromax on Monday, Wednesday, Friday to see if that helps.
<br />
<br />So I am curious if anyone else is on it and how it is working for them.
<br />
<br />Thanks in advance for your replies!!

S

semperfiohana

i have been on azithromicin for a couple years now. i can't really tell you how it works for me because i don't really tune into it that much. i just know that i make sure i take it. i do know that it is an anti-inflammatory i do believe. maybe that's why they put her on it. to see if that helps at all. i know i'm not much help, but wanted to reply and let you know that i have been on it for a while and it doesn't seem like they will be taking me off it anytime soon. i culture pa as well.

S

semperfiohana

i have been on azithromicin for a couple years now. i can't really tell you how it works for me because i don't really tune into it that much. i just know that i make sure i take it. i do know that it is an anti-inflammatory i do believe. maybe that's why they put her on it. to see if that helps at all. i know i'm not much help, but wanted to reply and let you know that i have been on it for a while and it doesn't seem like they will be taking me off it anytime soon. i culture pa as well.

S

semperfiohana

S

semperfiohana

S

semperfiohana

ktsmom

Yes, our daughter was put on it at diagnosis along with all of the usual stuff. She is on it as an anti-inflammatory. Her lungs have continued to do great, but I don't know how much the Zithro contributes to that. Just part of the total treatment package, I guess.

Hey, I am really glad that all of Hayley's tests and cultures were clear. So sorry about the continued cough, though. Also, I think it is awesome how your other CF clinic asked for a second opinion. All providers should be working towards that goal of the best treatment options for the patient, and not be afraid of saying "I don't know; let's ask someone else."

ktsmom

Yes, our daughter was put on it at diagnosis along with all of the usual stuff. She is on it as an anti-inflammatory. Her lungs have continued to do great, but I don't know how much the Zithro contributes to that. Just part of the total treatment package, I guess.

Hey, I am really glad that all of Hayley's tests and cultures were clear. So sorry about the continued cough, though. Also, I think it is awesome how your other CF clinic asked for a second opinion. All providers should be working towards that goal of the best treatment options for the patient, and not be afraid of saying "I don't know; let's ask someone else."

ktsmom

ktsmom

ktsmom

<br />
<br />Hey, I am really glad that all of Hayley's tests and cultures were clear. So sorry about the continued cough, though. Also, I think it is awesome how your other CF clinic asked for a second opinion. All providers should be working towards that goal of the best treatment options for the patient, and not be afraid of saying "I don't know; let's ask someone else."

pjspiegle

My son has been on it for over 10 years now.

When did they do the bronch? prior to IV antibiotics or a few days after?

My son was in a rut of doing tune-ups every 3-4 months and wasn't growing anything either, in labs, cultures, or bronchs. So his dr. finally took him off all antibiotics for 2 weeks, then did the labs, cultures, induced sputum, and then started the IV's and then he grew several things which answered a lot of questions for us. The antibiotics and IV's were just enough to cover everything up from growing but not enough of the right ones to really fix things for him. You might ask about this if or when the next tune-up seems to be approaching to get a better idea of what is really going on.

pjspiegle

My son was in a rut of doing tune-ups every 3-4 months and wasn't growing anything either, in labs, cultures, or bronchs. So his dr. finally took him off all antibiotics for 2 weeks, then did the labs, cultures, induced sputum, and then started the IV's and then he grew several things which answered a lot of questions for us. The antibiotics and IV's were just enough to cover everything up from growing but not enough of the right ones to really fix things for him. You might ask about this if or when the next tune-up seems to be approaching to get a better idea of what is really going on.

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

pjspiegle

<br />
<br />When did they do the bronch? prior to IV antibiotics or a few days after?
<br />
<br />My son was in a rut of doing tune-ups every 3-4 months and wasn't growing anything either, in labs, cultures, or bronchs. So his dr. finally took him off all antibiotics for 2 weeks, then did the labs, cultures, induced sputum, and then started the IV's and then he grew several things which answered a lot of questions for us. The antibiotics and IV's were just enough to cover everything up from growing but not enough of the right ones to really fix things for him. You might ask about this if or when the next tune-up seems to be approaching to get a better idea of what is really going on.