Anyone take Zantac or any otber ant-acid?

Solo

I'll give you the cliff notes version. I had a lot of trouble with my mobility, and after seeing an ortho and getting an MRI, he said I have a cartilage loss in my hips. But then I seen yet another ortho that said my hips look ok, and not to allow anybody to operate on them. Upon a physical examination, he said I have really weak glutes and tight hip flexors. That would explain why I had very little pain, if at all, just a lack of mobility. If my cartilage was gone too far, and bone was rubbing against bone, I would be in pain!

But I did some research and it turns out that being on an ant-acid for extended periods can cause muscle weakness in rare cases. I guess that's why the package on ant-acids state that you should only take them for 14 days! I have been on Zantac since I could swallow pills. That, and the fact that in my late 20s I just worked and came home and sat in front of the computer all the time, contributed to my muscle weakness, I believe.

I started doing some stretches and a few exercises to strengthen the affected areas, and I do admit I feel younger already! I have a Tony Little Gazelle Edge that you can perform an excellent exercise to strengthen your glutes! But I am going to try my hardest to wean myself off of Zantac, as I beleive, in the long run, ant-acids and PPI's do more harm then good.

Twistofchaos

Hi there,

It's possible but it seems to have one of those standard sideeffects lists and the statistics for each to occur are pretty low. Antibiotics, having infections, malnutrition of many sorts, could also be at fault. Weakness is very common with CF because when we feel crappy/almost always it's very hard to be active and keep strength intact and then it's a vicious circle.

I'm on what here in Holland is labeled Losec which is Omeprazol, 40 mg in the morning for about 15 years now I guess with good benefits (almost no more burn and less puking) and no complaints. Sometimes experimented with no to double dosage to see if it was related to digestion issues I was having but I couldn't blame it for it.

What do you want to replace it with or stop altogether? There are a couple of different types so you could try some different ones if insurance allows..usually not. With CF we can have some pretty bad acid refluxing going on.

For me when I get sick or lose any weight leg strength is the first to go. At home you could do one legged squats and lunges. Eventually I got a squat rack and barbell at home too and that's been worth every penny a hundred times over.

Solo

Hi there,

It's possible but it seems to have one of those standard sideeffects lists and the statistics for each to occur are pretty low. Antibiotics, having infections, malnutrition of many sorts, could also be at fault. Weakness is very common with CF because when we feel crappy/almost always it's very hard to be active and keep strength intact and then it's a vicious circle.

I'm on what here in Holland is labeled Losec which is Omeprazol, 40 mg in the morning for about 15 years now I guess with good benefits (almost no more burn and less puking) and no complaints. Sometimes experimented with no to double dosage to see if it was related to digestion issues I was having but I couldn't blame it for it.

What do you want to replace it with or stop altogether? There are a couple of different types so you could try some different ones if insurance allows..usually not. With CF we can have some pretty bad acid refluxing going on.

For me when I get sick or lose any weight leg strength is the first to go. At home you could do one legged squats and lunges. Eventually I got a squat rack and barbell at home too and that's been worth every penny a hundred times over.

I have done squats and lunges, they really help. But I am kinda limited as to what I can do as I still have a picc line in my arm. I am finishing up courses of Tobramycin, Vancomycin, and Meropenum. I am not on anti-biotics all that much though. The last time I was on IV antibiotics was April 2008. I figured it was time for a tune-up, and I was feeling pretty crappy.

I really like the Gazelle, as you can do more exercises that just the forward one. I think it's the only exercise machine that you don't have to bend your knees to use it; that's why I got it, in 2009 I injured my knee. But it's pretty light and gives a great workout. I also have 1 dumbbell that I occasionally use.

I never use insurance for Zantac, actually I buy it in bulk off of ebay. But I eventually intend to stop taking them altogether. I experimented with others, pepcid, nexium, prilosec, prevacid, what have you. It seems that I get a bad reaction to all the 24 hour acid reducers. And Pepcid has the same side effects as Zantac, so I will try to wean myself off of it.

Thanks for responding Twistofchaos!