Anyone treated for normal upper respiratory flora?

static

So I was looking at my test results and it seems that the times I feel the worst are when my normal upper respiratory flora levels are reported to be "heavy growth" (HEAVY GROWTH NORMAL UPPER RESPIRATORY FLORA ISOLATED).

From what I read so far (correct me if I'm wrong please) the normal upper respiratory flora can be a number of different bacteria. Most of the time it comes with a heavy growth MRSA report, but a few times the MRSA was light to moderate and no other bacteria was found on those reports.

So I guess what I'm asking is do your doctors ever prescribe you a certain type of medication based on a heavy growth normal upper respiratory flora?

static

So I was looking at my test results and it seems that the times I feel the worst are when my normal upper respiratory flora levels are reported to be "heavy growth" (HEAVY GROWTH NORMAL UPPER RESPIRATORY FLORA ISOLATED).

From what I read so far (correct me if I'm wrong please) the normal upper respiratory flora can be a number of different bacteria. Most of the time it comes with a heavy growth MRSA report, but a few times the MRSA was light to moderate and no other bacteria was found on those reports.

So I guess what I'm asking is do your doctors ever prescribe you a certain type of medication based on a heavy growth normal upper respiratory flora?

static

static

static

<br />
<br />From what I read so far (correct me if I'm wrong please) the normal upper respiratory flora can be a number of different bacteria. Most of the time it comes with a heavy growth MRSA report, but a few times the MRSA was light to moderate and no other bacteria was found on those reports.
<br />
<br />So I guess what I'm asking is do your doctors ever prescribe you a certain type of medication based on a heavy growth normal upper respiratory flora?

debs2girls

My daughter's doctor does not treat normal flora...they say it is "normal" and is supposed to be there so no treatment is needed.

debs2girls

My daughter's doctor does not treat normal flora...they say it is "normal" and is supposed to be there so no treatment is needed.

debs2girls

debs2girls

debs2girls

Jana

No. The report I get normally just states whether or not normal flora was also present. If that's all my culture grows, it is considered normal.

I have wondered, though, why sometimes it is present along with my other bacteria and sometimes not.

Jana

No. The report I get normally just states whether or not normal flora was also present. If that's all my culture grows, it is considered normal.

I have wondered, though, why sometimes it is present along with my other bacteria and sometimes not.

Jana

Jana

Jana

<br />
<br />I have wondered, though, why sometimes it is present along with my other bacteria and sometimes not.

Melissa75

Administrator
I am a weird case because I often have all the symptoms of a bacterial infection (fever, consolidation on x-ray, increased cough, and green or bloody sputum) and my cultures, even the AFB ones that take five weeks, will come back NORMAL.

In the past I took antibiotics right away. Now, I take them but not as until I get severe pain/pneumonia and blood in the sputum. You should ask your doctor about APBA (they can test your blood to see if you have a major reaction which might not show up in the sptum). And ask your doctor about trying oral steriods or other anti-inflammatories if you feel much worse but culture nothing.

The theories that pulmos have come up with for me are
1) autoimmune inflammation of the lungs--no tests have shown this for me though.
2) anaerobic bacteria from stomach contents causing lung infections (anaerobic bacteria would not come out in a culture)--but just got back results which said absolutely no reflux for me.
3) some bacteria that is just not getting into the cup or not growing in the dish for whatever reason.

Here is a study on anerobic bacteria and people with CF:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/cgi/content/short/177/9/995">http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/...ontent/short/177/9/995</a>

Melissa75

Administrator
I am a weird case because I often have all the symptoms of a bacterial infection (fever, consolidation on x-ray, increased cough, and green or bloody sputum) and my cultures, even the AFB ones that take five weeks, will come back NORMAL.

In the past I took antibiotics right away. Now, I take them but not as until I get severe pain/pneumonia and blood in the sputum. You should ask your doctor about APBA (they can test your blood to see if you have a major reaction which might not show up in the sptum). And ask your doctor about trying oral steriods or other anti-inflammatories if you feel much worse but culture nothing.

1) autoimmune inflammation of the lungs--no tests have shown this for me though.
2) anaerobic bacteria from stomach contents causing lung infections (anaerobic bacteria would not come out in a culture)--but just got back results which said absolutely no reflux for me.
3) some bacteria that is just not getting into the cup or not growing in the dish for whatever reason.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/cgi/content/short/177/9/995">http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/...ontent/short/177/9/995</a>

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator

Melissa75

Administrator
<br />
<br />In the past I took antibiotics right away. Now, I take them but not as until I get severe pain/pneumonia and blood in the sputum. You should ask your doctor about APBA (they can test your blood to see if you have a major reaction which might not show up in the sptum). And ask your doctor about trying oral steriods or other anti-inflammatories if you feel much worse but culture nothing.
<br />
<br />The theories that pulmos have come up with for me are
<br />1) autoimmune inflammation of the lungs--no tests have shown this for me though.
<br />2) anaerobic bacteria from stomach contents causing lung infections (anaerobic bacteria would not come out in a culture)--but just got back results which said absolutely no reflux for me.
<br />3) some bacteria that is just not getting into the cup or not growing in the dish for whatever reason.
<br />
<br />Here is a study on anerobic bacteria and people with CF:
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/cgi/content/short/177/9/995">http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/...ontent/short/177/9/995</a>