Anyone with CF participating in Cross Fit?

RachElizza

I have a lot of friends that are participating in and LOVING Cross Fit. It seems to be more than just a good workout, but also a community that really encourages one another. I, personally, could use the encouragement. I am afraid that the work outs may be too intense for me to handle, because of Cystic Fibrosis.

Does anyone with CF participate in Cross Fit?
How has it worked for you?
How did you begin?
Do you modify the WOD at all?

Any and all suggestions and opinions welcome!

W

welshwitch

What about CrossFit would be too much? Just a Q.

My 2 cents: it could be AWESOME! for CF. Go for it!

D

Deb

I have been doing CrossFit for a year and a half and I LOVE it. Plus my lung functions have improved a lot as well. Most CrossFit gyms will modify the workouts for you. We have several people at our gym that modify for different reasons. When I started I had trouble climbing stairs and carrying a laundry basket. Now I am actually jogging and dead lifting 170 pounds. Can't believe how far I have come.

The great thing about CrossFit is that the workouts are intense but short and also you never do the same thing. Every day is different. GO FOR IT.

BTW, not only do I have CF but I now have only one lung. You can do this.

mamaScarlett

I know someone with Cf that participates in Cross Fit and she loves it. I don't see how any of those exercises would be harmful as long as you gradually build up your stamina and pace yourself. If you find something you really like doing, go with it! Any exercise is good exercise. Have fun!

slugo21

Hello I live in Billings Montana and I am 24. I have Cf. and I love crossing. honestly I don't even do all my treatments. I just crossed it's almost 5 days a week. and I have not been hospitalized for anything in the past 3 years.. I would recommend if you can do it do it but it's a little tough but it feels really good on your lungs. soon you be able to be running 3 miles with everybody else

K

Keepercjr

I have been attending crossfit classes for the last 3 months and I love it! Any good trainer will modify the workout to fit your fitness level. I am stronger and in better shape than I have been in years. Sometimes I have to modify and sometimes I don't. I just had a clinc visit this week and my Fev1 went up 15 % to a place if hasnt been in 2 years.

Another benefit is the incredibly supportive community. I see the same people all the time andwe all encourage each other. I told the trainers when I signed up that I have cf and I have told several occasions my workout companions and they have all been wonderful.

As I train through the next year I can't wait to see what must body can do. My advice is to just go for it. You have nothing to lose. Oh I also always do a treatment before the class and I find it helps.

jaimers

Super Moderator
I know this thread is older but I just found it today...I crossfit and have been for about a year. It's one of the best workouts I have *ever* done. It's hard, no question, but can be modified for any fitness level and ability. The crossfit gym I used to go to had people from teenagers all the way up to several 65+ men and women. one of those ladies in her 60s and I were running buddies because we ran at about the same pace ;) I think it's really important to let the coaches know about CF up front when you get start so they can help you understand the best way to modify the workout to get the most benefit. For me I usually go lighter on the weights during a workout so I can get more reps instead of trying to do the heaviest weight I'm able.

seriously yall, it's amazing! so worth it!