Appendicitis

nyy26wc

My 9 year old son, Toby, looks like he is could have appendicitis. He is showing some symptons and the doctor says to monitor him for a little while longer to see how it develops. The doctor thinks he's only in the early stages, so I'm not too worried at this moment.

But, what I am concerned about is his recovery process. How quickly will he be able to resume doing his vest? Toby usually feels real bad whenever he misses any vest sessions.

nyy26wc

My 9 year old son, Toby, looks like he is could have appendicitis. He is showing some symptons and the doctor says to monitor him for a little while longer to see how it develops. The doctor thinks he's only in the early stages, so I'm not too worried at this moment.

But, what I am concerned about is his recovery process. How quickly will he be able to resume doing his vest? Toby usually feels real bad whenever he misses any vest sessions.

nyy26wc

nyy26wc

nyy26wc

<br />
<br />But, what I am concerned about is his recovery process. How quickly will he be able to resume doing his vest? Toby usually feels real bad whenever he misses any vest sessions.

alyssabeth2002

My son with CF had appendicitis when he was 5 and had to have an emergency appendectomy. He was like a brand new child the day after surgery. He was up and doing everything he could do before. I think they want you to wait a week before vest treatments but possibly sooner depending on his dr.

alyssabeth2002

My son with CF had appendicitis when he was 5 and had to have an emergency appendectomy. He was like a brand new child the day after surgery. He was up and doing everything he could do before. I think they want you to wait a week before vest treatments but possibly sooner depending on his dr.

alyssabeth2002

alyssabeth2002

alyssabeth2002

ReneeP

As far as recovery time, a lot of that depends on how severe the appendicitis is when they do surgery. And I don't want to worry you, but I do want to caution you... Appendicitis is very often overlooked in CF kids. I took my 9 year old daughter into the ER twice in a two week period in August of this year. They did CT Scans and sent her home. I won't bore you with all the long details, but long story short, her appendix had been ruptured for over a week before they finally took me seriously and did surgery. Because it had gone so long the surgery was much more complicated and her recovery was very difficult. She was in agony for about 3 days after sugery and had to stay in the hospital on IV antibiotics for a week.

From what I understand now, because CF kids are typically so small and have hardly any body fat, the contrast that is used during the CT Scan doesn't spread as well thoughout their insides as it would in a person with more body fat. For that reason, they often overlook appendicitis in those kids. I have heard so many stories of that happening since Kacie's surgery.

If the doctor thinks he has appendicitis, what is he waiting for? I guess I don't understand that part... The only treatment is surgery (as far as I know anyway) and the sooner it is done, the easier it will be both during and after surgery. I would be very hesitant to wait and see how it develops.

Best of luck to you and Toby!!!

ReneeP

As far as recovery time, a lot of that depends on how severe the appendicitis is when they do surgery. And I don't want to worry you, but I do want to caution you... Appendicitis is very often overlooked in CF kids. I took my 9 year old daughter into the ER twice in a two week period in August of this year. They did CT Scans and sent her home. I won't bore you with all the long details, but long story short, her appendix had been ruptured for over a week before they finally took me seriously and did surgery. Because it had gone so long the surgery was much more complicated and her recovery was very difficult. She was in agony for about 3 days after sugery and had to stay in the hospital on IV antibiotics for a week.

From what I understand now, because CF kids are typically so small and have hardly any body fat, the contrast that is used during the CT Scan doesn't spread as well thoughout their insides as it would in a person with more body fat. For that reason, they often overlook appendicitis in those kids. I have heard so many stories of that happening since Kacie's surgery.

If the doctor thinks he has appendicitis, what is he waiting for? I guess I don't understand that part... The only treatment is surgery (as far as I know anyway) and the sooner it is done, the easier it will be both during and after surgery. I would be very hesitant to wait and see how it develops.

ReneeP

ReneeP

ReneeP

<br />
<br />From what I understand now, because CF kids are typically so small and have hardly any body fat, the contrast that is used during the CT Scan doesn't spread as well thoughout their insides as it would in a person with more body fat. For that reason, they often overlook appendicitis in those kids. I have heard so many stories of that happening since Kacie's surgery.
<br />
<br />If the doctor thinks he has appendicitis, what is he waiting for? I guess I don't understand that part... The only treatment is surgery (as far as I know anyway) and the sooner it is done, the easier it will be both during and after surgery. I would be very hesitant to wait and see how it develops.
<br />
<br />Best of luck to you and Toby!!!