appetite stimulant

amber682

Just wondering if anyone or their children have taken Periactin (Cyproheptad is the generic) as an appetite stimulant.

My son hasn't gained any weight since about May. He's not very skinny, but just not as chubby as he used to be and not gaining anything. He's very picky, like all toddlers I'm sure, but even things he loves he doesn't eat much of. So at our clinic visit last week the dietician put him on Periactin.

Apparently its for allergies, but increased appetite is a major side effect and its often used for that purpose. I researched it quite a bit. It would normally be taken a few times a day for allergies, but for this purpose is taken once before bed (it causes drowsiness). It took the pharmacy a couple days to get it in, so we just started last night. No change yet in appetite that I can see, but I'll give it time.

Anyway, just wanted to know if any of you have experience with Periactin.

amber682

Just wondering if anyone or their children have taken Periactin (Cyproheptad is the generic) as an appetite stimulant.

My son hasn't gained any weight since about May. He's not very skinny, but just not as chubby as he used to be and not gaining anything. He's very picky, like all toddlers I'm sure, but even things he loves he doesn't eat much of. So at our clinic visit last week the dietician put him on Periactin.

Apparently its for allergies, but increased appetite is a major side effect and its often used for that purpose. I researched it quite a bit. It would normally be taken a few times a day for allergies, but for this purpose is taken once before bed (it causes drowsiness). It took the pharmacy a couple days to get it in, so we just started last night. No change yet in appetite that I can see, but I'll give it time.

amber682

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Yes, my kids tried periactin with no luck really. It did make them VERY sleepy so we couldn't use it during the day. Instant crash. We tried it at night, then small doses during the day. I know it has worked for others though.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Yes, my kids tried periactin with no luck really. It did make them VERY sleepy so we couldn't use it during the day. Instant crash. We tried it at night, then small doses during the day. I know it has worked for others though.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

amber682

Thanks for the responses, I was curious because the doc said its used quite a bit with CFers. Funny that your cat took it, glad it worked though.
He's prescribed 1 tsp. before bed so he's not sleepy all day. She said that should make him wake up hungry. I'm hoping it helps because I'm worried what they'll do if he doesn't gain any weight.

amber682

Thanks for the responses, I was curious because the doc said its used quite a bit with CFers. Funny that your cat took it, glad it worked though.
He's prescribed 1 tsp. before bed so he's not sleepy all day. She said that should make him wake up hungry. I'm hoping it helps because I'm worried what they'll do if he doesn't gain any weight.

amber682

lovemygirl

Our daughter has not taken it but it has been discussed as an option down the road. First we are trying Pediasure / Resource drinks. I did talk to another parent though and they had a lot of success with it. Their child gained 4 or 5 lbs in 3 months and had a huge appetite.
Let us know how it goes... I am curious of the results.

lovemygirl

Our daughter has not taken it but it has been discussed as an option down the road. First we are trying Pediasure / Resource drinks. I did talk to another parent though and they had a lot of success with it. Their child gained 4 or 5 lbs in 3 months and had a huge appetite.

lovemygirl

Foody

Oral GSH is known to increase appetite. Chamomile, lemon balm, and sage are natural appetite stimulants and aid in digestion. Teas can be made and added to a little juice or maybe a smoothie. Sage is great with chicken and beef and aid in the break down of fat as an added bonus.

Appetite loss can be related to improper digestion (among other things of course which should be investigated). I feel gut ecology is often over looked in weight issues. Reducing inflammation in the gut will help it function better and create a healthy mucosa lining (flora) which is also critical in digestion and immune function. Our son takes a daily probiotic (acidophilus strains) to maintain healthy levels of bacteria, tumeric to reduce inflammation, and DHA (200mg of Nordic Naturals) also for inflammation. These all mix nicely in apple sauce. We started with just a probiotic which helped a lot. Then we added DHA, again better absorption. Now tumeric, and he has had a huge growth spurt since adding this. Because these are all natural, food based things, the body knows what to do with it and benefits quickly (our experience).

Coconut oil and milks are great ways to add calories and will heal the gut as well. Tropical Traditions is a great brand. We add 2-3 TBSP of melted coconut oil in smoothies or milk. You can really get creative here and let them pick flavors and ingredients to add. A quick healthy high cal drink which supports the gut is 1/2 banana, 6oz milk (regular, rice, almond), 2 oz of coconut milk, a little plain yogurt or kefir, 2 tBSP coconut oil, 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract, a little honey(raw if possible if over 2 years old) or AGAVE nectar, some ice, and a little cinnamon. You could also add a little cocoa powder to make it chocolatey or fresh or frozen strawberries/pineapple for a fruity one. These are so quick and will do wonders. We give only after a meal or as part of a snack so it won't fill him up before meals.

Just some ideas...hope one sparks something. He is a cutey by the way. Our son is 2 1/2, they are so fun at this age (challenging too).

Foody

Oral GSH is known to increase appetite. Chamomile, lemon balm, and sage are natural appetite stimulants and aid in digestion. Teas can be made and added to a little juice or maybe a smoothie. Sage is great with chicken and beef and aid in the break down of fat as an added bonus.

Appetite loss can be related to improper digestion (among other things of course which should be investigated). I feel gut ecology is often over looked in weight issues. Reducing inflammation in the gut will help it function better and create a healthy mucosa lining (flora) which is also critical in digestion and immune function. Our son takes a daily probiotic (acidophilus strains) to maintain healthy levels of bacteria, tumeric to reduce inflammation, and DHA (200mg of Nordic Naturals) also for inflammation. These all mix nicely in apple sauce. We started with just a probiotic which helped a lot. Then we added DHA, again better absorption. Now tumeric, and he has had a huge growth spurt since adding this. Because these are all natural, food based things, the body knows what to do with it and benefits quickly (our experience).

Coconut oil and milks are great ways to add calories and will heal the gut as well. Tropical Traditions is a great brand. We add 2-3 TBSP of melted coconut oil in smoothies or milk. You can really get creative here and let them pick flavors and ingredients to add. A quick healthy high cal drink which supports the gut is 1/2 banana, 6oz milk (regular, rice, almond), 2 oz of coconut milk, a little plain yogurt or kefir, 2 tBSP coconut oil, 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract, a little honey(raw if possible if over 2 years old) or AGAVE nectar, some ice, and a little cinnamon. You could also add a little cocoa powder to make it chocolatey or fresh or frozen strawberries/pineapple for a fruity one. These are so quick and will do wonders. We give only after a meal or as part of a snack so it won't fill him up before meals.

Just some ideas...hope one sparks something. He is a cutey by the way. Our son is 2 1/2, they are so fun at this age (challenging too).

Foody

stressed

we had no luck with periactin in the past for my daughter , but now take megace and have gained about 20 lb. in 2 months , this is the best she has looked in years.

stressed

we had no luck with periactin in the past for my daughter , but now take megace and have gained about 20 lb. in 2 months , this is the best she has looked in years.