Appetite Stimulants

CFHockeyMom

Some of you may be familar with the fact that Sean's Dr. wants to go the G-tube route. Sean and I aren't too thrilled with the prospect.

Sean was doing a great job eating more and things were looking up (i.e. his Dr. agreed to put off the G-tube a bit longer). However, with school and activities starting up, Sean has lost a bit of his appetite. He's still eating but I'm worried it just isn't enough to keep the wolves at bay.

Have any of you had any experience with appetite stimulants or have any recommendations (natural or perscription)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

CFHockeyMom

Some of you may be familar with the fact that Sean's Dr. wants to go the G-tube route. Sean and I aren't too thrilled with the prospect.

Sean was doing a great job eating more and things were looking up (i.e. his Dr. agreed to put off the G-tube a bit longer). However, with school and activities starting up, Sean has lost a bit of his appetite. He's still eating but I'm worried it just isn't enough to keep the wolves at bay.

Have any of you had any experience with appetite stimulants or have any recommendations (natural or perscription)?

CFHockeyMom

CFHockeyMom

CFHockeyMom

<br />
<br />Sean was doing a great job eating more and things were looking up (i.e. his Dr. agreed to put off the G-tube a bit longer). However, with school and activities starting up, Sean has lost a bit of his appetite. He's still eating but I'm worried it just isn't enough to keep the wolves at bay.
<br />
<br />Have any of you had any experience with appetite stimulants or have any recommendations (natural or perscription)?
<br />
<br />Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Lance2020x

Well, it may not be 'kosher' since he's 13 (if you're from the south this is no big deal ;-p ), but a small glass of wine is known to be a good appetite stimulant.

I'm big into teas and herbs..... and Alfalfa, Caraway seed and Peppermint tea are known to be appetite stimulants (there are bulk herb stores online where you can get green tea and other herbs [like peppermint etc.] to mix together).
I don't know anything about it but Culantro is used in Chutney as an appetite stimulant.

As for non-homeopathic.... The best way I know PERIOD to help with weight is -if you use Creon Enzymes for him- to check out the MoreExtraHelpings Very High Calorie drinks. You can down one between meals for an extra 550 calories in three gulps!
If you take Creon (or if you don't, I switched to Creon specifically for the MoreExtraHelpings program, I would talk to your doctor about it) you just send in your pharmacy receipt with a MoreExtraHelpings form and they send you a huge case of the calorie drinks for free!

EDIT: After tons of searching I finally found the print out!
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.solvaypharmaceuticals-us.com/static/wma/pdf/4/0/8/0/EH_CouponBk.pdf
">http://www.solvaypharmaceutica...0/8/0/EH_CouponBk.pdf
</a>You should be able to send that in with a receipt and that's it!

Lance2020x

Well, it may not be 'kosher' since he's 13 (if you're from the south this is no big deal ;-p ), but a small glass of wine is known to be a good appetite stimulant.

I'm big into teas and herbs..... and Alfalfa, Caraway seed and Peppermint tea are known to be appetite stimulants (there are bulk herb stores online where you can get green tea and other herbs [like peppermint etc.] to mix together).
I don't know anything about it but Culantro is used in Chutney as an appetite stimulant.

As for non-homeopathic.... The best way I know PERIOD to help with weight is -if you use Creon Enzymes for him- to check out the MoreExtraHelpings Very High Calorie drinks. You can down one between meals for an extra 550 calories in three gulps!
If you take Creon (or if you don't, I switched to Creon specifically for the MoreExtraHelpings program, I would talk to your doctor about it) you just send in your pharmacy receipt with a MoreExtraHelpings form and they send you a huge case of the calorie drinks for free!

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.solvaypharmaceuticals-us.com/static/wma/pdf/4/0/8/0/EH_CouponBk.pdf

Lance2020x

Lance2020x

Lance2020x

<br />
<br />I'm big into teas and herbs..... and Alfalfa, Caraway seed and Peppermint tea are known to be appetite stimulants (there are bulk herb stores online where you can get green tea and other herbs [like peppermint etc.] to mix together).
<br />I don't know anything about it but Culantro is used in Chutney as an appetite stimulant.
<br />
<br />As for non-homeopathic.... The best way I know PERIOD to help with weight is -if you use Creon Enzymes for him- to check out the MoreExtraHelpings Very High Calorie drinks. You can down one between meals for an extra 550 calories in three gulps!
<br />If you take Creon (or if you don't, I switched to Creon specifically for the MoreExtraHelpings program, I would talk to your doctor about it) you just send in your pharmacy receipt with a MoreExtraHelpings form and they send you a huge case of the calorie drinks for free!
<br />
<br />EDIT: After tons of searching I finally found the print out!
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.solvaypharmaceuticals-us.com/static/wma/pdf/4/0/8/0/EH_CouponBk.pdf
</a><br />You should be able to send that in with a receipt and that's it!

RebekahsMom

CFHockeyMom,

My daughter was put on Ciproheptadine just over a month ago. At first it was 2mg, 30 minutes before breakfast, lunch, and dinner. However, after 5 days of her falling asleep at 4 in the afternoon, sleeping til 7:30 in the evening, eating dinner (but extremely sleepy), and then getting into her vest to do that and her nebs - she would fall asleep within 10 minutes. I was tired of her sleeping all afternoon and evening. I called the clinic and they agreed to use it just once a day for now. (The next day she went into the hospital for 12 days)

She has a great appetite now! Last Thursday night we had pizza for dinner because she had a Daisy Scout meeting to be at by 6 p.m. She ate 3 BIG pieces before we went and wanted the last piece when we got home! She used to just eat 2 pieces of pizza. And I went to pick her up tonight, and it certainly feels like she has put on several pounds in the last month!

Hope this helps.

RebekahsMom

CFHockeyMom,

My daughter was put on Ciproheptadine just over a month ago. At first it was 2mg, 30 minutes before breakfast, lunch, and dinner. However, after 5 days of her falling asleep at 4 in the afternoon, sleeping til 7:30 in the evening, eating dinner (but extremely sleepy), and then getting into her vest to do that and her nebs - she would fall asleep within 10 minutes. I was tired of her sleeping all afternoon and evening. I called the clinic and they agreed to use it just once a day for now. (The next day she went into the hospital for 12 days)

She has a great appetite now! Last Thursday night we had pizza for dinner because she had a Daisy Scout meeting to be at by 6 p.m. She ate 3 BIG pieces before we went and wanted the last piece when we got home! She used to just eat 2 pieces of pizza. And I went to pick her up tonight, and it certainly feels like she has put on several pounds in the last month!

Hope this helps.

RebekahsMom

CFHockeyMom,

Hope this helps.

RebekahsMom

CFHockeyMom,

Hope this helps.

RebekahsMom

CFHockeyMom,
<br />
<br />My daughter was put on Ciproheptadine just over a month ago. At first it was 2mg, 30 minutes before breakfast, lunch, and dinner. However, after 5 days of her falling asleep at 4 in the afternoon, sleeping til 7:30 in the evening, eating dinner (but extremely sleepy), and then getting into her vest to do that and her nebs - she would fall asleep within 10 minutes. I was tired of her sleeping all afternoon and evening. I called the clinic and they agreed to use it just once a day for now. (The next day she went into the hospital for 12 days)
<br />
<br />She has a great appetite now! Last Thursday night we had pizza for dinner because she had a Daisy Scout meeting to be at by 6 p.m. She ate 3 BIG pieces before we went and wanted the last piece when we got home! She used to just eat 2 pieces of pizza. And I went to pick her up tonight, and it certainly feels like she has put on several pounds in the last month!
<br />
<br />Hope this helps.

MMBinNC

Cyproheptadine as stated above. Also, I think as a result of the enzymes CF'ers tend to get "backed up" and this reduces appetite a lot. I take Mirilax 2-3x per week and its really helped (more than the Cyproheptadine) in getting my appetite back. Next time you're at the hospital, if they are taking an x-ray, get them to do a lower body scan for this reason. The doctors will see if thats the problem, and Mirilax is a really easy way to fix it if that is the problem that is causing his decrease in appetite. I know the tube feedings decrease appetite as well, but his could be a compounding factor.

MMBinNC

Cyproheptadine as stated above. Also, I think as a result of the enzymes CF'ers tend to get "backed up" and this reduces appetite a lot. I take Mirilax 2-3x per week and its really helped (more than the Cyproheptadine) in getting my appetite back. Next time you're at the hospital, if they are taking an x-ray, get them to do a lower body scan for this reason. The doctors will see if thats the problem, and Mirilax is a really easy way to fix it if that is the problem that is causing his decrease in appetite. I know the tube feedings decrease appetite as well, but his could be a compounding factor.

MMBinNC

MMBinNC

MMBinNC