appreciating without worrying-help!

grassisgreener

Sending lots of hugs to you! Hopefully this will get easier for you over time. I used to be very emotional and I focused alot on CF. With time (4 years since my daughter was dx) I have been able to put most of the saddness and emotions out of the forefront of my thoughts. I do sometimes grieve what I thought her life would be like during her first year (before her dx) but for the most part, I realize that spending time/energy on that is about me, not her.

Its totally normal to be emotional about this, I used to cry for hours and I know other parents who did/do the same thing!

grassisgreener

Sending lots of hugs to you! Hopefully this will get easier for you over time. I used to be very emotional and I focused alot on CF. With time (4 years since my daughter was dx) I have been able to put most of the saddness and emotions out of the forefront of my thoughts. I do sometimes grieve what I thought her life would be like during her first year (before her dx) but for the most part, I realize that spending time/energy on that is about me, not her.

Its totally normal to be emotional about this, I used to cry for hours and I know other parents who did/do the same thing!

grassisgreener

grassisgreener

grassisgreener

<br />
<br />Its totally normal to be emotional about this, I used to cry for hours and I know other parents who did/do the same thing!

MicheleGazelle

For an unrelated issue, I spent a couple of years watching tear jerk movies and crying my eyes out any time my husband was out of town and my kids were in bed. For me, the feelings just needed to come out before I could get past them and move on. After that period in my life, I stopped being sad all the time.

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

For an unrelated issue, I spent a couple of years watching tear jerk movies and crying my eyes out any time my husband was out of town and my kids were in bed. For me, the feelings just needed to come out before I could get past them and move on. After that period in my life, I stopped being sad all the time.

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />Good luck with this.

letefk

I don't know if this helps, but it is something that was said to me, and it really helped. I belong to a women's group, and in that group, there is a woman who lost her son at the age of 20. About 2 years after my daughters were diagnosed, I was still experiencing these sudden fits of sadness and tears, and I was berating myself for not being able to 'move on.' My friend helped me understand that what I was feeling was grief, not grief at the death of a child, as she had experienced, but grief at the loss of an idea I had about my children's future (which had never included CF). Talking to her helped me understand that grief is cyclical, and it is not something that goes away. CF brings a sadness into our lives, and that grief becomes part of who we are. We learn to live with it, and maybe even, in time, use it. Most days now, it is in the background for me, but I know it is there, and there are issues that can still bring it to the surface. But for me it really helped to also accept it as something was now a part of me. It was only then that I could stop fighting it and learn how to live in a healthy way with it. That took time. In the meantime, I gave myself permission to sometimes tell my girls I needed some quiet time when it hit me, and I let myself go into the bathroom to cry it out.

The other thing my friend said that helped was to stop expecting grief to be logical. That helped, because like you, I felt like I needed to control my tears. Yet sometimes a thought would hit me at the most unexpected or inappropriate moment, and I would start to cry. I remember several times that I had to race across the parking lot at work, or down the hall to my office, because I was hit with a sudden wave of tears.

Grief is a process, and it takes time -- time in the measure of years, not months -- and the only way through it is to let yourself feel it. What you are feeling is as normal as it is horrible to have to face. For me, it was also lonely, because my husband and I grieved very differently. But it did get easier.

letefk

I don't know if this helps, but it is something that was said to me, and it really helped. I belong to a women's group, and in that group, there is a woman who lost her son at the age of 20. About 2 years after my daughters were diagnosed, I was still experiencing these sudden fits of sadness and tears, and I was berating myself for not being able to 'move on.' My friend helped me understand that what I was feeling was grief, not grief at the death of a child, as she had experienced, but grief at the loss of an idea I had about my children's future (which had never included CF). Talking to her helped me understand that grief is cyclical, and it is not something that goes away. CF brings a sadness into our lives, and that grief becomes part of who we are. We learn to live with it, and maybe even, in time, use it. Most days now, it is in the background for me, but I know it is there, and there are issues that can still bring it to the surface. But for me it really helped to also accept it as something was now a part of me. It was only then that I could stop fighting it and learn how to live in a healthy way with it. That took time. In the meantime, I gave myself permission to sometimes tell my girls I needed some quiet time when it hit me, and I let myself go into the bathroom to cry it out.

The other thing my friend said that helped was to stop expecting grief to be logical. That helped, because like you, I felt like I needed to control my tears. Yet sometimes a thought would hit me at the most unexpected or inappropriate moment, and I would start to cry. I remember several times that I had to race across the parking lot at work, or down the hall to my office, because I was hit with a sudden wave of tears.

Grief is a process, and it takes time -- time in the measure of years, not months -- and the only way through it is to let yourself feel it. What you are feeling is as normal as it is horrible to have to face. For me, it was also lonely, because my husband and I grieved very differently. But it did get easier.

letefk

letefk

letefk

<br />
<br />The other thing my friend said that helped was to stop expecting grief to be logical. That helped, because like you, I felt like I needed to control my tears. Yet sometimes a thought would hit me at the most unexpected or inappropriate moment, and I would start to cry. I remember several times that I had to race across the parking lot at work, or down the hall to my office, because I was hit with a sudden wave of tears.
<br />
<br />Grief is a process, and it takes time -- time in the measure of years, not months -- and the only way through it is to let yourself feel it. What you are feeling is as normal as it is horrible to have to face. For me, it was also lonely, because my husband and I grieved very differently. But it did get easier.
<br />
<br />

jendonl

I don't know how long ago your child was diagnosed but the sadness does fade. I cried everytime I looked at my daughter after she was diagnosed but now CF is just a part of our lives.

Also, just because you have reason to be sad does not mean you are not suffering from depression. You might want to talk to your own doctor about that possibility. There are medications that can help.

jendonl

I don't know how long ago your child was diagnosed but the sadness does fade. I cried everytime I looked at my daughter after she was diagnosed but now CF is just a part of our lives.

Also, just because you have reason to be sad does not mean you are not suffering from depression. You might want to talk to your own doctor about that possibility. There are medications that can help.

jendonl

jendonl

jendonl

<br />
<br />Also, just because you have reason to be sad does not mean you are not suffering from depression. You might want to talk to your own doctor about that possibility. There are medications that can help.