arthritis anyone??

canilucas

I am a troubled mom to a 8 year old daughter dx with JRA in 2010.. Previously healthy, then in 2010 dx with horrible resp issues, chronic cough, ear infections, sinus infections, treated her for asthma, was put on steroids for most of 2010-11 for her lungs and asthma.. she is very small for her age, always has been, and pulmonary wanted to check for CF due to chronic cough, small stature etc.. Sweat tests + and intermediate. Genotyping revealed Df508 one mutation only. She got the "whole 9 yards" of genetic work up that is available, I am told.
I just read recently that CF patients (10- 20%) have arthralgia (arthritis) in one or many joints.. What????
I have always thought it to be a "coincindence" that in one years time, she was Dx with arthritis, severe asthma, a "carrier" and now has adrenal insufficiency due to all the steroids (they presume!!) ...could her arthritis really not be JRA and be a symptom of a larger picture here? Can she exhibit symptoms of CF from her one and only mutation? Is this possible? Am I crazy for thinking this is NOT one big coincidence? Any one else with a similar situation, please contact me! thanks

canilucas

I am a troubled mom to a 8 year old daughter dx with JRA in 2010.. Previously healthy, then in 2010 dx with horrible resp issues, chronic cough, ear infections, sinus infections, treated her for asthma, was put on steroids for most of 2010-11 for her lungs and asthma.. she is very small for her age, always has been, and pulmonary wanted to check for CF due to chronic cough, small stature etc.. Sweat tests + and intermediate. Genotyping revealed Df508 one mutation only. She got the "whole 9 yards" of genetic work up that is available, I am told.
I just read recently that CF patients (10- 20%) have arthralgia (arthritis) in one or many joints.. What????
I have always thought it to be a "coincindence" that in one years time, she was Dx with arthritis, severe asthma, a "carrier" and now has adrenal insufficiency due to all the steroids (they presume!!) ...could her arthritis really not be JRA and be a symptom of a larger picture here? Can she exhibit symptoms of CF from her one and only mutation? Is this possible? Am I crazy for thinking this is NOT one big coincidence? Any one else with a similar situation, please contact me! thanks

imported_Momto2

For a while they thought I had early onset arthritis, but turned out to be gout.

Whose to say your daughter doesnt have the Df508 and another unknown mutation?
With a positive sweat test and the symptoms, I'd say she probably does have two CF genes.

imported_Momto2

For a while they thought I had early onset arthritis, but turned out to be gout.

Whose to say your daughter doesnt have the Df508 and another unknown mutation?
With a positive sweat test and the symptoms, I'd say she probably does have two CF genes.