Aspergillus, ABPA

lightNlife

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Allisa35</b></i>

Don't want to take over the thread, but here is another question. What is ABPA? I have never heard of this.</end quote></div>

ABPA is "allergic broncho pulmonary aspergilliosis". It means that in addition to culturing aspergillus (a fungus), your body reacts to it with an allergic response. Some people can culture aspergillus but don't have ABPA. The body responds to the allergen by increasing the amount of IgE (immunoglobulin E) in the blood. To bring the IgE back down and control the fungal infection, doctors prescribe antifungal medications like Vfend or Sporanox in combination with corticosteroids (such as prednisone) to reduce inflammation in the lungs and/or sinuses.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002204.html">Here is a link to some info about ABPA and antifungal treatments</a>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Marjolein</b></i>

But now it's back again and she is on 20mg of Prednison again as of the beginning of September. She was on Trisporal too, but that only made her feel worse. The Prednison should help getting her IgE level down but they are only going up, for the last 5 weeks (from 283 to 535). Her mom is hoping she will have better results tomorrow...

Thanks in advance!</end quote></div>

A IgE number of 100 or greater is considered "high" for adults. For peds I think it's somewhere close to 200, and for adolescents a normal IgE is something like 85. Mine can run in the thousands, even when on prednisone. For me though prednisone is worse than the infection itself and I avoid it to the greatest extend possible. Mostly I do the antifungal meds all the time, and do what I can to make sure my home environment is free from the conditions that would encourage mold growth (i.e. moisture, dampness, etc.)

High IgE levels are presumed to be associated with a decrease in lung function. Therefore, to answer Lynda's question, the significance and danger of a high IgE number is that if IgE numbers stay high for a prolonged period of time, the degree of severity of lung damage can potentially increase. However, this is largely just a hypothesis on my part based on things I've read. IgE and its connection with CF and lung function is something that isn't fully understood at this point in time.

lightNlife

Don't want to take over the thread, but here is another question. What is ABPA? I have never heard of this.</end quote></div>

ABPA is "allergic broncho pulmonary aspergilliosis". It means that in addition to culturing aspergillus (a fungus), your body reacts to it with an allergic response. Some people can culture aspergillus but don't have ABPA. The body responds to the allergen by increasing the amount of IgE (immunoglobulin E) in the blood. To bring the IgE back down and control the fungal infection, doctors prescribe antifungal medications like Vfend or Sporanox in combination with corticosteroids (such as prednisone) to reduce inflammation in the lungs and/or sinuses.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002204.html">Here is a link to some info about ABPA and antifungal treatments</a>

But now it's back again and she is on 20mg of Prednison again as of the beginning of September. She was on Trisporal too, but that only made her feel worse. The Prednison should help getting her IgE level down but they are only going up, for the last 5 weeks (from 283 to 535). Her mom is hoping she will have better results tomorrow...

A IgE number of 100 or greater is considered "high" for adults. For peds I think it's somewhere close to 200, and for adolescents a normal IgE is something like 85. Mine can run in the thousands, even when on prednisone. For me though prednisone is worse than the infection itself and I avoid it to the greatest extend possible. Mostly I do the antifungal meds all the time, and do what I can to make sure my home environment is free from the conditions that would encourage mold growth (i.e. moisture, dampness, etc.)

High IgE levels are presumed to be associated with a decrease in lung function. Therefore, to answer Lynda's question, the significance and danger of a high IgE number is that if IgE numbers stay high for a prolonged period of time, the degree of severity of lung damage can potentially increase. However, this is largely just a hypothesis on my part based on things I've read. IgE and its connection with CF and lung function is something that isn't fully understood at this point in time.

lightNlife

Marjolein

Today they found out that the IgE is higher again, 583. The doctor also told her the number before the ABPA was 15, so it's much higher. And because the little girl is only 5 this level would mean around the same as 3100 for an 18 year old..

She is going to hear back from the doctor tomorrow about the what they are going to do next.

Thanks all for your reply's till now!

Marjolein

Today they found out that the IgE is higher again, 583. The doctor also told her the number before the ABPA was 15, so it's much higher. And because the little girl is only 5 this level would mean around the same as 3100 for an 18 year old..

She is going to hear back from the doctor tomorrow about the what they are going to do next.

Marjolein

lightNlife

Thanks for the update, Marjolein. I hope that things will improve for your friend's daughter. Also, how are YOU doing post tx?

lightNlife

Thanks for the update, Marjolein. I hope that things will improve for your friend's daughter. Also, how are YOU doing post tx?

lightNlife