Aspergillus Questions? Eradication, determine cause?

keefer11

I have a couple of questions regarding Aspergillus.

1) Have many people been able to eradicate Aspergillus? I've cultured it off and on but never been treated for it and my doctor is considering treating me for it.

2) People who have had positive results and treated for it, have you had tests done in your home to see if something in your home is the source of the Aspergillus? Have you found that the cause generally from somewhere from the home?

3) Have many people seen a major decrease in lung function?

Thanks in advance!!!

D

Dhobs

My daughter had a mucous plug caused by an aspergillus infection. We did not do testing because aspergillus is present everywhere and there are many forms according to the infectious disease doctors who treated her. I asked about testing the environment and they said the only true way to eradicate it from your house is to live in a bubble and that's no way to live. This was also the same advice given to me when she was first diagnosed and I wanted to keep her from every germ in the world.

Once her lungs cleared up, we actually saw an *increase* in lung function! She did LOTS and LOTS of lung therapies including - hypertonic saline, Pulmozyme, albuterol, Flonase, acapella, vest, clapping. These are things we do regularly, but when in the hospital the frequency is doubled.

rjswank

About 15 years ago I got pretty sick and had a decline in lung function but they couldn't figure out why. Did lots of tests (x-rays, blood work, throat culture because I was bad about coughing anything up) and couldn't find a cause. Then they did a bronchoscopy and found a lot of aspergillus. They told me I would always have it. They put me on itraconazole (sp?). I got better and my lung function went back up. I haven't cultured it for over 10 years and they took me off itraconazole (even though when I first started it they said I would always need to take it). It made me nervous when they took me off it that the aspergillus would act up again, but I haven't had any problems from it since then. We didn't test our home, though I live somewhere else now anyway.