At what point did you begin treatment for CFRD?

SaraNoH

I had my first Endo appointment a few days ago. I scheduled it way back in March after my GTT 2 hr sugars came back in the 160s which is abnormal. However, my A1C was 5.4% (I know about the "inaccuracy" of this for CFers). I also have NO symptoms of diabetes whatsoever.

Anyways, the Endo checked my A1C again, it's still 5.4% so at least it's holding steady compared to my own numbers. He said that I'm not diabetic, just on the cusp of being pre-diabetic, and gave me a few suggestions. He said that it's just something to keep an eye on and check a few times a year now. He also mentioned that with CF patients they will start them on insulin sooner so as to not totally destroy the pancreas with diabetic pills etc (I'm wondering how true this is?)

Basically I wanted this appointment to kind of start the ball rolling in this aspect of my care, and to figure out where we go from here. I'm actually moving to Southern Oregon Early August so I wont see this Dr. again, but it was good to get it started. I'm just wondering at what point did those with CFRD get diagnosed and "officially" begin treatment? When should I become truly concerned? This is just a new aspect of CF that I never really thought about and here it is.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the CFF has a pretty good guide regarding this on their website. Have they had you testing your blood sugar at home? DS' recently had a normal fasting blood sugar, but his two hour was 150. They did not to a A1C. His CF doctor believes it was elevated due to extreme stress. He spent 2 hours freaking out due to his fear of needles. Suggestion is continue to monitor it. Friend of mine's daughters came back high and it was determine she was hypoglycemic and needs to eat about every 3 hours to regulate her blood sugars....

GlennyB

Hi :) my daughter failed her GTT a couple of times - they did it a few months apart, to ensure it wasn't affected by infection. Both times she came back around the 200 mark (we are in nz and I have had to use an online converter). So we started monitoring her sugars at home pre-food and t2hrs post food. She was recording in the 300's regularly, had thrush, slow healing, low weight gain, etc. So we started a low dose of long acting insulin. She failed her first GTT in feb 2012 and we started insulin April 2012. But for many the transition is much slower.

SaraNoH

Many years ago during a hospital stay I was given a meter after a faulty OGTT, but I lent the meter to a coworker since I had no use for it, and she said that it "broke." I asked my CF doctor if it was okay for me to just check my sugars at home, which she agreed with, but now I don't have a meter.... (that's the last time I lend something important to someone). The Endo didn't mention doing that, just to do OGTT's at least once yearly.

After that hospital stay I DID check my sugars before/2hrs post meals for a few weeks and it was always perfectly normal, though that was at least 2 years ago.