azithromax

jessicad

my daughter is three years old the last time she was in the hospital they put her on zithromax. they said that she had some minor lung damage on her ct scan and that this medicine had been known to reverse it in some cases or at least keep it from getting worse. is this true? and is it normal for them to have lung damage so early in life? i worry about her so much.

Asexyblond23

Well I am 24 and to all the CF teenagers and adluts they have us on 500 mg of zithromax 3 days a week. Its like a general one we are all on all the time. It has always worked great for me. I dont know about reversing damage but maybe you can ask about the constant taking of it and see if that has any positive effects

JazzysMom

I am sorry to say, but if there is actual lung damage.....that cant be reversed. Closed/restricted airways can be fixed & that is where the azithromax comes in for the inflammation, but damage is damage. I would ?? their wording to make sure what you heard/what they said is accurate.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS was put on it last fall when he was 2 1/2. It's one of those meds that his doctor has all his patients on -- mainly for inflammation, but I thought the doctor mentioned HIB also. For toddlers it comes in teeny tiny little bottles -- each last about a week. THank goodness my pharmacy gives me a months supply of the powder at a time so I'm not having to run there every week and pay a copay each time.

fourkidsmom

Our now 5 yr old boy with cf has been on zithromax for almost 8 months. It seems to be agreeing with him, he hasn't had much lung involvement since being on. I will see on the 25th if they will keep him on longer, the prescription had said to stay on for 7 months every monday, wednesday and friday so he was in between doctor visits so I called the doctor and they told him to keep him on to see what the doctor says. I will see what happens then.

Good luck

Fourkidsmom

thelizardqueen

Zithro is great for reducing inflammation which in turn would mean lesser infections, but it doesn't reverse lung damge. I am on it 3x a week.